Lime Bars

Lime Bars

My husband loves key lime pie, but the filling is rich with all those egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk and he is not really into rich foods.  One Saturday I was watching an episode of Everyday Baking on PBS which featured a recipe for Lime Squares with Pistachio-Graham Crust.  They looked good, and with less of the lime filling I thought they would be perfect for my husband.   First, the nuts had to go.  Next, I added some additional graham cracker crumbs and butter to the crust.  With the sugar and lime zest it was perfect.

Lime Bar Fixins

The filling was fine as is, but I do make it with fat free condensed milk which makes the bars a little less rich, which my husband prefers.  I have tried them with regular condensed milk and they are much richer that way, and you may prefer that.  Just know that fat free condensed milk will give you a lovely result, should you want to use it.

Lime Bars    Yield 16 bars

For the crust:
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
zest of one lime

For the filling:
2 large egg yolks
1-14 oz. can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice

Heat the oven to 350F, then grease an 8″ square pan, line it with parchment paper that hangs over the edge of the pan by a few inches (so you can remove the bars from the pan more easily).

Lime Bar Crust

Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and zest.  Press into the prepared pan, pressing the crust mixture one inch up the side of the pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool completely.

Once the crust is cooled combine the egg yolks and condensed milk until well mixed.  Stir in the lime juice and combine.  It will begin to thicken slightly.

Lime Bars - Chilled

Pour the filling into the crust, making sure the filling reaches the edges.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until just set.

Cool to room temperature, then chill for at least one hour, overnight is better.  Pull the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper and transfer to a cutting board.  Cut into 16 squares with a serrated knife.  To make cutting cleaner wipe the knife with a damp cloth between cuts.

Lime Bars

Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container.  They last for about five days.

Lime Bars

Recipe adapted from Everyday Baking

© 2009 – 2010, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Lime Bars”

1. Those look delicious. And I happen to love pistachios too. Plus I have egg yolks leftover from clarifying my consomme yesterday. Thanks. I’ll be trying this.

2. Hairball says:

This looks great!

3. Hairball says:

This looks great!
    Forgot to write great post! Looking forward to reading the next one!

4. Sara says:

I also love key lime pie, this looks like a fun twist on an old favorite. Once I even had key lime pie cheesecake, it was divine!

Ohhh, key lime cheesecake sounds divine!!!

6. Donna says:

These look terrific. I do love the pistachio, so maybe I would add to crust. Your bars look so perfect. How in the world do you cut them so straight!!

Donna – Thanks! As for cutting, I really just eyeball it and I use a long, serrated knife.

8. I like the idea of making lime tart as a slice. It would be perfect to take to a morning tea.

9. Chuck says:

These lime squares look wonderful. I just finished making a lime curd myself. Love the fresh flavor. It’s nice to have something a little different from lemon. Wonderful!

10. Kevin says:

Those lime bars look great! I like that you added the zest to the crust!

11. Val says:

Oooooooh, these look so good! I love lime & never thought to use them like this. Thank you for sharing the recipe & photos. ;o}

12. Carson says:

These look delicious! I love the idea of putting zest directly in a graham cracker crust, that’s never occurred to me before.

13. peabody says:

Mmm, those look wonderful. I love key lime pie so I bet these would work just as good.

14. These are right up my alley – look delicious! And I love anything citrus.

15. What a good idea! I just made lemon bars last week, but this seems like a nice change and my mother loves key lime pie and with Mother’s Day coming up I think I might need to give these a try!

16. Irma says:

Hi
    I have a lime tree, and I will try to make these delicious bars.
    yet, in the recipe, (crust) the amount of pistachios needed is not printed,
    about a cup??
    maybe 1/2 a cup??
    thanks

Irma – Check the link to Everyday Baking. They list the amount of nuts they used. I omitted them because I do not care for them. Thanks!!! I hope you enjoy the bars.

18. Diana says:

Mmmm, I’ve made something similar but with a macadamia oat crust. Yours look so yummy, I’m totally going to try again and add lime zest to the crust.

19. Dimah says:

Mmmm! Looks delicious! Must try!

20. We love key lime pie. Your bars look yummy!

21. Nic says:

I was Stumbling at work yesterday *cough* when my guy walked up behind me. He said, “Ooohh, those look nice.” He wasn’t looking at my décolletage, he was looking at your lime bars!

Everything’s ready to give them a try this weekend. =) I’m sure we’re both going to love them.

Nic

22. Michelle says:

Perfect squares are so attractive! You just can’t go wrong with condensed milk though. ;-)

23. UK Foodie says:

Oh my goodness, they look so good – thank you for sharing!

24. Sara says:

These look so good. I really want to make them now.

25. Beverly says:

This lime cheesecake looks yummy especially on these warm days!!

26. Bridget says:

This recipe looks amazing! Thank you for sharing.

I’ve included it in my Top 25 recipe posts on Twitter because its such a winner!!

Thank you again for the beautiful post.

Love,
    Bridge x

27. choccycake says:

Just made these, they are fantastic, but I don’t think they’ll last long!

28. Ericka says:

So few ingredients! I love it :) I only had a lemon in the house though, so I tried that instead and it turned out great! Thanks :)

29. WOW! These look great. Thanks for sharing!

30. Gregoire says:

Looks yummy! I love lime bars – they are on my next buffet menu :)

31. Julia says:

Just made these, and they’re WONDERFUL! Thanks for such a simple and delicious recipe!

32. Anna says:

I made these with my roommates tonight and they turned out so delicious. The fat free condensed milk was a good choice. I think that they would have been too rich with the full fat.

1. Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog » Blog Archive » White Chocolate Lime Cookies - March 15, 2009

[...] is the perdicimate I found myself in when I came up with this recipe.  I was fresh off my Lime Bars and I had lime on the brain, but I wanted a cookie.  Something subtle, sweet, and creamy with a [...]

2. Lemon Lime Bars « Thyme For Nourishment - April 14, 2009

[...] Lemon Lime Bars adapted from Evil Shenanigans [...]

3. Recipe Hit List: 10 Tempting Sweet Treats : TipNut.com - April 30, 2009

[...] Lime Bars: My husband loves key lime pie, but the filling is rich with all those egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk and he is not really into rich foods. One Saturday I was watching an episode of Everyday Baking on PBS which featured a recipe for Lime Squares with Pistachio-Graham Crust. They looked good, and with less of the lime filling I thought they would be perfect for my husband. I am not a fan of the pistachio, so I decided to play around with the recipe to suit my taste. Recipe found at Evil Shenanigans. [...]

4. Friday Favorites – Episode 14 | my kitchen addiction - June 19, 2009

[...] – Kelly posts wonderful recipes – I especially like her desserts!  I made her Lime Bars a few weeks ago, and they were [...]

5. Recipe for Lime Bars - August 6, 2010

[...] Recipe from Evil Shenanigans [...]

6. A little key lime love | foodie fabulista - September 1, 2011

[...] Key Lime Bars (slightly adapted from Evil Shenanigans) [...]

7. Strawberry Lime Bars | delicious on a dime - May 9, 2013

[...] sweet to take to work to celebrate the end of the semester with the other science gals.  I found this recipe and thought it looked yummy, so I proceeded to make it my own (and tried to lighten it up just a [...]

8. Lime Bars | Real Food Recipes - May 21, 2013

[...] Source: http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/03/lime-bars/ [...]

9. Lime Bars | AmazingRecipesOnline.com - June 13, 2013

[...] Source: http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/03/lime-bars/ [...]

10. Key Lime TartCarrie’s Experimental Kitchen | - April 25, 2014

[…] I first started this blog in 2011, I had come across a recipe for Lime Bars from Evil Shenanigans. I made the recipe and my kids, who usually don’t like tart desserts, […]