Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding

When I was in culinary school we made cardamom tea cookies which we dipped in bittersweet chocolate.  I was certain it would be awful but I tried them and discovered that the pungent cardamom accented the rich dark chocolate very well.  From that day forward I have been playing around with cardamom and chocolate.  My latest experiment was so tasty I thought I would share it.

Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding

Now, cardamom and chocolate is not for everyone.  My husband is not a fan, but he did admit that the flavors were, “not bad as pudding.”  High praise indeed!

Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding Fixins, Pt. 2Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding Fixins Pt. 1

At first bite, this pudding tastes richly, darkly chocolaty.  It is not until you inhale that you get the hit of cardamom, cinnamon and a hint of clove.  The second bite gives you the flavors of the spices and chocolate together, and the combination is, to me anyway, heaven!

Cardamom Pods, Cinnamon Stick, and Clove

I like this pudding both warm and cold, and it would also make an excellent pie filling.  You can also omit the spices if you want a very rich chocolate pudding.  Just skip the steeping part.  Of course, if you are feeling like a culinary adventure, give this pudding a whirl with the spices.

Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding     Serves 6

2 cardamom pods, crushed lightly
1 cinnamon stick
1 clove
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste, or 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups of milk
2/3 cups of sugar
1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter
3 oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate

Spices Steeping in Warm Milk

In a saucepan, heat one cup of the milk with the spices, vanilla bean paste, and salt.  Bring to a simmer then shut the heat off, cover and let steep for ten minutes.  While this steeps crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk well.

Whisking the Spiced Milk, Cocoa, and Cornstarch

Strain the milk and return it to the saucepan.  Add the second cup of milk, cocoa, sugar and cornstarch.  Whisk till blended then place over medium low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken, about five minutes.

Remove from the heat and pour one ladle of the heated mixture into the bowl with the egg and whisk well.  Pour the egg mixture into the chocolate and return to medium low heat and cook until it just begins to boil.

Shut off the heat and add the chopped chocolate and butter.  Stir to combine then ladle into six ramekins.

Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding

Chill for two hours, then enjoy with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon.

Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding”

1. Ramya Kiran says:

Wow, that looks tempting. Wish i could taste..

2. Sara says:

This looks amazing – I love pairing chocolate with spices, in fact, chocolate and cinnamon is one of my favorite flavor combinations.

3. Hairball says:

This sounds very interesting!!

4. Debby says:

Oh, this looks wickedly decadent and delicious. I’m in chocolate detox, having overindulged recently. Once I decide to binge again, this looks like a creamy dessert to enjoy.

5. Donna says:

I so love how cinnmon and chocolate pair. This looks like the ultimate dessert,I love it!

6. Cardamom and cinnamon sound awesome with chocolate – I have to try it very soon!

7. jenn says:

Goodness!!! That looks so rich and decadent. I must try this. Awesome photo, btw!

8. this sounds great! I love spiced sweets like this.

9. Ruth says:

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Ruth

10. Amanda says:

It’s looks so rich and luscious!

11. Recipe man says:

look great! thanks
    i love Pudding

12. grubsclub says:

Wow!!!
    Looks absolutely Great~~~!!!
    Yummm….

13. I love cardamom. I’ve even made Turkish coffee-flavored truffles with cardamom steeped in the the cream, so this looks really good to me!

14. Paula says:

Yum that pudding looks so rich and velvety. I love your spice combo!

15. bergamot says:

This seems rather easy to make but a really tempting one. Will defintely try it

16. Reanne McPheagal says:

This recipe sounded incredibly delicious, but then when made had a soapy beginning and a bitter end. Perhaps less cornstarch, and heavy cream instead of milk?

After sampling, I ended up adding a quarter cup of brown sugar and 2 cups of fresh strawberries. In a few hours, I’ll see if this made for a good pie or if more work will be necessary before this recipe can fly.

Reanne – I’m sorry you did not like the recipe. I will say, cornstarch should not add any flavor so check it for funny aromas. The ‘soapy’ flavor could be your cardamom. Is it fresh? How long did it steep? If you let it go too long it can be overpowering. Cream would make for a much richer filling, if you used it. Those are the only things I could think of.

18. Neel Patel says:

Looks great! I love cardamom and chocolate. Put it in my chocolate milk all the time.

19. Bev M says:

Wow!!! so glad I found your blog… I have looked at 3 of your recipes and wish I could spend the entire evening with the rest… I will be checking in again very soon…

1. Culinary Schools In California 2 days down, 5 more to go =AB Adventures in Culinary School & Be= yond « - March 27, 2009

[…] Spiced Dark Chocolate Pudding | Evil Shenanigans – Baking … By Kelly When I was in culinary school we made cardamom tea cookies which we dipped in bittersweet chocolate. I was certain it would be awful but I tried them and. Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog – http://www.evilshenanigans.com/ […]