Apple and Blueberry Crisp

Apple and Blueberry Crisp

I’ve been making crisps since I was a child.  They were one of the first things I learned to bake so they are special to me in the way a first love is special.   I find that when the last of winter is behind me I start to crave fresh fruit desserts, and since this is easy and nearly fool-proof it is perfect to satisfy my cravings.

It is important that the crisp have a crisp topping.  I know it sounds silly to say that, but so many crisps have soggy, over blended tops that just clump up and get mushy.  Or, the crisp is topped with pie crust which is, while delicious, not a true crisp.

Apple and Blueberry Crisp

Below is the recipe I have been using for over fifteen years.  You can use just about any fruit you like.  I am fond of peach and raspberry or blueberry, pear, and in the fall plum or cranberry.   Top it with ice cream, or whipped cream, and you have a dessert fit for company.

Versatile and tasty, this crisp delivers comfort in a hurry!

Apple and Blueberry Crisp    Serves 4

2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced thick
1 cup blueberries
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, cold

Heat the oven to 350 F.

Mix the apples, blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and salt in a small baking dish.

Apple and Blueberry Crisp - Ready to Bake

In a bowl blend the flour and sugar.  Using your fingers, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand.  Spread the topping over the fruit mixture evenly.

Apple and Blueberry Crisp - Fresh from the Oven

Bake for 40 minutes, until the filling is thick and the center is bubbly.  Cool for 10 to 20 minutes, then serve with ice cream, if desired.

Apple and Blueberry Crisp

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Apple and Blueberry Crisp”

1. s. stockwell says:

Oh my, we like the look of this for breakfast? We are just having some coffee today, got to get busy, but we are eating this with our eyes. Delicious and Thanks from Santa Barbara, s

2. Sweetie Pie says:

I love a good crisp, and I’ll bet blueberries and apples make a divine combination. Yum!

3. Jessie says:

oh my! that looks delicious, the perfect treat for a warm spring day :)

4. Seriously, this looks delicious! This brings me back to my childhood too, but we never had this combination. I will be trying it, thanks for sharing!

5. Julie says:

Oh my!!!! This looks so amazing!

6. Caron (wife) loves a good crisp, maybe I’ll take a share of your recipe :)

7. jenn says:

That looks so good. That scoop of ice cream is an added bonus. I may just make this for dessert this coming week.

This looks yummy! Think I could substitute frozen (fresh from last summer) peaches? They equal about 2 – 2 1/2 cups.

9. This crispy dessert looks like such a sweet treat and not only for breakfast! Why not as snack for all day? :)

Cheers!
    Gera

Alta – Absolutely! I have used frozen peaches before, during the winter, and the peaches are REALLY good with blueberry if you want to add them.

11. Jessica says:

I absolutely loved your recipe! I just tried it this evening, and added a cup of raspberries (wonderful opportunity to finish last years fruit) instead of one of the apples. It took every effort not to eat the entire thing!

Is there supposed to be so much liquid on the bottom? I thought (never having made a crisp before) that perhaps I hadn’t used enough cornstarch. But I used a slotted spoon and boy was it delicious!

Jessica, with raspberries there may have been more juice than with apples. Next time add more cornstarch and you should be fine. Glad you liked it!!

13. foodhoe says:

mmm, that sounds pretty simple, your pictures look delicious! I’m a sucker for ice cream and fruit…

14. That crisp sounds super delicious! Great recipe!

15. I love apples and blueberries and crisps! Put them all together and look how amazing your blueberry and apple crisp looks. Must try – thanks so much for sharing!

16. That last photo is killing me…yum! I love individual desserts like this.

17. Tracy F says:

Your apple blueberry crisp looks wonderful. I can tell that your topping will come out crispy. Is is OK to use a pastry cutter instead of mixing the butter in with fingers? That seems like it would take a while.

18. Om nom nom… good breakfast food! Blueberries have been making their appearance around here and I’ve been wondering how to experiment with them!

19. Donna says:

LOVE this crisp. I am with you crispy topping is a must! Love the apple blueberry combo.

20. Ok, now I know why you’ve chosen this name for your blog- you’re going to tempt us all to do away with our diets! LOL. Just kidding, the pics are very enticing and this recipe sounds wonderful.

21. Oh MY! Where’s my spoon? I want some of this now!! :D

22. Kevin says:

I have not tried the apple and blueberry combo. It sounds good!

23. Apple and blueberry crisp sounds wonderful – great combination of fruits! Looks delicious in the individual ramekins!

24. Definitely one of my favorite desserts… any fruit crisp is right up there in my book! This looks fantastic, love your photos!

25. you never cease to amaze me with your delicious desserts. I would be so fat if I lived at your house because i would eat them all (and by all, I mean all 4 serving because that looks awesome!)

26. angela says:

oh.my.gosh. this was DELICIOUS!!!

1. Individual Blueberry Crisp « Pots and Plots - April 11, 2010

[…] that just demanded dessert of some kind.  I opted for individual blueberry crisps, adapted from this recipe from Evil Shenanigans.  I didn’t have any apples, so this was straight up blueberry.  And I lightened things up a […]