Toasted Coconut Pound Cake with Lime Curd

It’s April Fool’s Day … but I am not fooling around when I tell you that this pound cake is about the best I have ever had.

Toasted Coconut Pound Cake

I had half a bag of coconut sitting in my pantry since I made my Carrot Coconut Cupcakes and I didn’t know what to do with it.  For a while I considered making coconut candy, but I was not in the candy making mood.  As much as I enjoy candy, I prefer eating it to making it.  So, it was back to the drawing board.

Lime Curd

Now, I should say that the last few days here in my part of Texas have been warm.  The trees are turning green and the grass has transformed from straw brown to vibrant emerald.  I have been feeling decidedly ‘Spring-ie’ and I decided I wanted something that sort of said, “Hey Spring!  How you doin’?”

I also had a glut of limes that I needed to use, and lime curd seemed just the thing to make.  Well, If you have curd you need something to spread it on, and I love lime and lemon curd on pound cake.  Why not, I thought, make a coconut pound cake?

Toasted Coconut Pound Cake with Lime Curd

So, I did, and it was really, really tasty.  The toasted flavor of the coconut added another layer of flavor to the buttery cake.  It also added a lovely texture to the cake.  There was the fluffy part, the nutty crusty part, and now this chewy, sort of crispy part.   It was, for me, the perfect way to welcome Spring!

Lime Curd    Yield 1 cup

2 oz sugar
1 teaspoon lime zest
2 oz lime juice
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons unsalted butter

DSCF1789Sugar Rubbed with Lime Zest

Rub the lime zest into the sugar until it is fragrant and the sugar is tinted pale green.  Pour into a heavy bottom pot.

Juiced Limes

Juice the limes and add the juice to the pot with the sugar.  Stir in the egg yolks and cook over medium heat until thick.  Stir in the butter and cook until melted.

Pour through a strainer into a heat proof bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Make sure to press the film down on the curd to avoid a skin.

Lime Curd

Chill for two hours.

While the curd chills, make the cake.

Toasted Coconut Pound Cake Fixins'

Toasted Coconut Pound Cake   Yield 12 servings

1 cup coconut
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Heat the oven to 325 F and grease a 10″ loaf pan very well.

Allow your butter, eggs and sour cream to come to room temperature.

Toasted Coconut

Toast the coconut for 10 minutes, or until brown and fragrant.  Set aside to cool.

In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium high speed for five minutes.

Scrape the sides of the bowl down and add the eggs, one at a time, blending for one minute after each addition and scraping down before adding the next.

Add the vanilla and blend to combine.

Sift the dry ingredients and add them, along with the sour cream, in three alternating installments, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.  Do not over-mix.

Toasted Coconut Pound Cake  - Ready to Bake

Fold the toasted coconut in gently and pour into the prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 60 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center.  You may need to tent the cake with foil to avoid over browning.  Do not over-bake.

Toasted Coconut Pound Cake - Fresh from the OvenToasted Coconut Pound Cake - Cooling

Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.

DSCF1834 copy

Slice and eat as is or ….

Toasted Coconut Pound Cake with Lime Curd

Spread a tablespoon of the lime curd over the cake, and while we are at it some softly whipped cream.

Your taste buds will thank you.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Toasted Coconut Pound Cake with Lime Curd”

I am loving this post from start to finish! I can’t wait to make the cake for my hubby. He loves all things lime and so do I!! Great recipe!

2. Hairball says:

*drools* Looks realllly good! I think a big ol’ pile of zest is one of the best smells in the world. So fresh, tart, and utterly delightful!

You faked me out though. You cautioned us not to over-mix or over-beat so I was waiting for the big reveal when you cautioned us not to over-eat!! :)

3. Hairball says:

That is supposed to be over-bake instead of over-beat. *facepalm*

4. Kate says:

Lime and Coconut cake keeps popping into my consciousness lately. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something? This looks great. Thank you.

5. Yum! Toasting the coconut makes such a huge difference in the taste and texture. Excellent idea for a pound cake.

Maria – Thank you!!

Kate – Maybe so! I love the combo. Tropical, sweet and tangy.

curiousdomestic – Thank you! Toasting coconut is such a small step, but it provides huge flavor!

Hairball – Lime zest, and lemon zest, always make my mouth water.

7. That looks delicious. I might just have to try it.

8. jenn says:

coconut with pound cake. Yum!

9. Coconut pound cake sounds wonderful!

10. Reading this is making me hungry! Pound cake is one of my favorites – I love the idea of putting toasted coconut in it. Pairing the cake with the lime curd sounds wonderful.

11. this sounds like a slice of pure awesome.

12. Ramya Kiran says:

That looks yummy! I bet it tastes great and lemony..

13. Rico says:

Looks delicious and really nice with some tea..well done :)

14. Amanda says:

Oh this really, really looks good! Thank you!

15. Tracy F says:

Great photos. The lime curd looks beautiful. Now that’s a strange sentence. Toasting the coconut before you add it to the pound cake batter looks like it will taste divine. Thanks for sharing.

16. ingrid says:

Mmmm, that looks wonderful! My jaw’s tingling from the thought of lime curd.
    ~ingrid

17. MiamiFoodie says:

Beautiful Post! Key Lime is my favorite… your photo’s are amazing… Do you take the photographs yourself? If so, I would LOVE to discuss which camera you are using!

Amazing! thanks so much for the Post!!

MiamiFoodie – Thank you! Yes, I do take them myself and I use a Fuji FinePix S5100.

19. Alice says:

This cake looks so good!! I want to make this!

20. heidileon says:

ummm, this looks good, I might try it today.

thanks!

21. Daily Spud says:

My tastebuds are thanking you in anticipation!

22. Kevin says:

That cake looks really good!

23. Sarah says:

I love coconut & lime together! This cake looks too good!

24. So glad to have found your site. We saw this on Foodbuzz a while back, so obviously we’re late to comment, but this is worthy of commentary. We could use a few slices!

25. Sharada says:

Wondering what kind of shredded coconut you used. Sweetened or unsweetened? Thanks!

I used sweetened coconut for this one. Thanks!