Bananas Foster Cream Pie

Sometimes, when the stars align and the wind blows just right, I come up with something so good it shocks everyone, including me.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

This pie is one such idea.  You see I had a party to attend for my mom.  She said, “Oh, just make whatever you like.  I’m sure it will be fine.”  Saying that to me can be dangerous because now I have a full license to experiment.  Sometimes the experiment turns out badly, and one day I may post some of my most grand failures, but sometimes it comes out perfect the first go around.  Like my White Chocolate Lime Cookies.

Bananas

On my counter sat a bunch of pretty bananas that would be perfect for a banana cream pie.  A fine dessert, if a little boring.  What, I wondered, could I do to glam it up a little?   Well, bananas foster is pretty glam, with the hot caramel and rum.  How could I turn this into pie?   Well, I pulled out my pans, and turned up the culinary know-how, and came up with what is maybe the best pie I have ever made.  I’m not kidding.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

This would be the spot in this post where I show you a glamour shot of the the sliced pie.  I fully intended to get a slice and take some shots of it, but my family demolished the pie before I could take a picture.  Seriously.

Banana’s Foster Cream Pie Yield 1-9″ Pie

1/2 teaspoon dry gelatin
1 tablespoon water, room temperature
2 tablespoons sugar
Cinnamon for dusting

Heat the oven to 350 F.

Bananas Foster Cream PieBananas Foster Cream Pie

In a bowl mix the brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until well mixed.  Pour into a 9″ pie plate and press it evenly into the pan.

Bake for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool while you prepare the caramel.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

In a small skillet melt the butter and brown sugar over medium low heat.  Allow it to come to a boil, turn the heat down to low and cook for 30 seconds.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream and rum.  Allow to cool slightly.

BananasBananas Foster Cream Pie

Slice two to three bananas and layer the slices on the bottom of the pie crust.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

Pour the caramel evenly over the bananas.  Allow to cool at room temperature while you prepare the custard.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

In a heavy saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt, vanilla bean paste, and spices.  Pour over the milk and mix well.  In a separate bowl mix the eggs and egg yolk well.  Pour it into the milk mixture and whisk until well combined.

Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.  Cook for 30 seconds then remove from heat.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

Strain the mixture into a large bowl, then whisk in the butter.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

Pour the custard over the bananas and caramel.  Cover with plastic wrap, making sure it is pressed directly against the custard to prevent a skin from forming.   Chill for at least four hours, but overnight is better.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

To finish the pie mix the dry gelatin with the water in a small microwave save bowl.  Allow to bloom for two minutes.  Once bloomed, heat in the microwave for 10 seconds.  Stir and allow to come to room temperature.

In a large bowl add the cream.  Mix on medium speed until it begins to develop large bubbles.  Add the vanilla and increase the speed to medium high.  Add the sugar and the cooled gelatin.  Increase the speed to high and beat until it thickens and holds soft peaks.  Spread the cream over the cooled pie and dust with cinnamon.  Chill for thirty minutes before slicing and serving.

Bananas Foster Cream Pie

I did get this shot of the last slice in the pan, from across the room, before my brother ate it.

Watch it disappear!

Banana Cream Pie on Foodista

© 2009 – 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

49 Responses to “Bananas Foster Cream Pie”

I bet it won’t take long for this one to disappear! It looks amazing!

2. omg, I’m drooling! this looks absolutely awesome. I’m making one stat!

3. LaDonna says:

I definitely think my family would enjoy this. Bananas and pie…can’t go wrong!
    Thank you for sharing your recipe!

4. s. stockwell says:

Oh yeah…this is a keeper. We will save it for the right moment. delicious post! best, s

5. Danica says:

What an ingenius idea – to make it into a pie. Your last picture is probably how it would be if I made this except I’d be the one eating it ALL LOL. YUM!

6. Holy MOLY Kelly. Great job!

7. Eric HOffman says:

That is a great idea. Very good job. Cant wait to try this twist on my families favorite dessert.

8. Really good-looking recipe. I’m very interested in the topping. I’ve never used gelatin in whipping cream before. I suppose it gives the topping some structural integrity, yes? Does it keep the whipping cream from deflating over time? Hard to tell since it was gobbled up so fast!

CuriousDomestic – Yes, the gelatin makes the whipped cream more stable, but I just use a little to avoid it getting a mousse like texture. This way it still stays soft, but does not turn into a puddle of cream as quickly either. It will keep this way for about a day in the fridge.

10. Wow, heavenly pie! Bananas foster is just wonderful!

11. Bridget says:

OK…THAT looks amazing! This is how all fruit should be consumed!

12. Only one of us is a big banana fan, but this would still be a hit. The topping looks great.

13. jenn says:

See rather than getting a small piece, you have yourself a whole pie!!! Looks mighty good. I’d love to have some of that right now!!

14. Looks wonderful. I will have to try this sometime in the next couple of weeks!

15. Paula says:

I’ve just posted about a banana cream pie, but yours… to die for!

16. Sara says:

Wow, this looks amazing. It’s like you took the best of both desserts and turned them into something even more fantastic!

17. Wow – looks fantastic! I love bananas foster… it’s one of my favorites. I will be giving this one a try!

18. ValleyWriter says:

One of my hubby’s favorite desserts is bananas foster. I’ll be saving this recipe for his upcoming birthday. It looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

19. Sock Monkey says:

That looks phenomenal.

20. I love this! It looks amazing!

21. Jessie says:

I have never had banana creme pie but after seeing yours, I sure do want to try a slice!

I have been craving banana cream pie, and this sounds absolutely to die for!

23. Hi Kelly, I followed you from the foodieblogroll and this looks so good! Hope you wont mind,I’d love to guide our readers to your site, just add this foodista widget to this post and it’s all set to go, Thanks!

24. donna says:

This look absolutely delicious Kelly. Love bananas and pie, perfect!

25. Rico says:

Simply delicious. :) xx Rice-Recipes

26. Carole says:

Boy does this look good. May have to revise my menu for Memorial Day.

27. Man, Kelly, you did it again. This looks so good. Very creative. I bet I’ll like this more than I do regular banana cream pie (and I 8love* banana cream pie!). The caramel adds more depth and complexity to the overall flavor. Brilliant.

28. That looks awesome! makes me want pie now! LOL Great job!

29. Carolyn Jung says:

This looks wicked good. Anything so creamy requires seconds, too. ;)

30. Kevin says:

This sounds so amazingly good!

31. Jennifer says:

This sure looks delicious. Love the step-by-step pics too. Now, what time are you delivering this to my house?

32. ingrid says:

I bow to you and your genius! That pie is amazing! I was already buying bananas. I’ll get extras! :)
    ~ingrid

33. Danielle says:

It looks amazing! I am so in the mood to make one right now…too bad it is 10:30 at night!

34. Lara says:

Just, YUM. This gives me great inspiration to try a banana’s foster-esque approach to different desserts!

35. lindsay says:

I tried making this last night and my filling turned out too liquidy, even after refrigerating overnight…any idea what went wrong?

36. Kim says:

This was very good. The caramel sauce was incredible. I had to use rum flavoring in respect of someone’s belief, so I can only imagine how wonderful it will be with the real thing!!!

37. Donna says:

A friend of ours made this pie for us. OMG!!! This has become our favorite dessert!!!

38. Kaitlin says:

Do you know anything I could substitute for the rum?

39. Kaitlin says:

Also – this looks amazing :] I know what I’m making myself for my birthday!

40. clementine says:

I had the same problem as lindsay – I made this a few days ago, and, while the flavors are undoubtedly Delicious, my custard was a liquid! Any idea what went wrong? – I admit I added the butter while it was on the stove, but, realizing that, I added butter again later per instructions too, thinking that’s what would thicken it up. No success. Please help, I’d love to make this again!

41. Jessica says:

The pudding needs to cook longer than the directions say. 30 seconds is just not enough time after it comes to a simmer. Need to cook it until the really starts to thicken. Just make sure you keep it stirred so it doesn’t burn on the bottom!

42. Nicole says:

Followed directions precisely….attempted to cut a piece, was a drippy, liquid-y mess! Tasted wonderful, but looked horrible, I was pretty embarrassed to serve it! :(

43. rachel says:

I’m making this dessert for Wednesday night dinner…Wilted Spinach Salad with warm bacon dressing ,Brown Sugar Bison Meatloaf,Truffle Mac & Cheese,Roasted Broccoli with roasted Garlic,and Buttery Croissant….Should help us get over the hump….Thanks

1. Savory Samplings « Rocky Coast Ramblings - November 23, 2010

[...] Shenanigans – Bananas Foster Cream Pie, White Chocolate, Cranberry, Pecan and Sweet Potato Cookies, Sweet Potato, Apple & Caramelized [...]

2. Not Your Grandmother’s Pies - November 24, 2010

[...] Banana Foster Cream Pie [...]

3. Banana Foster Cream Pie | The Spiffy Cookie - June 17, 2011

[...] Source: Adapted slightly from Evil Shenanigans [...]

4. Diet Days 72 & 73: Everyday I’m strugglin’ | Serial Sketch-Artist - March 15, 2013

[...] as one pie, which then went to two and then three (augmented of course Pie in the Sky Apple Pie, Bananas Foster Pie and a Strawberry Pie based off StrawberryRhubarb Pie).   Sadly of the 3 types I only got to make [...]

5. Birthday Dinner | Jules du Jour - March 20, 2013

[...] Bananas Foster Cream Pie [...]

6. My (somewhat tragic) Attempt at Bananas Foster Cream Pie | The House In My Head - May 31, 2014

[…] 1.  Pie crust recipe from Cooks Illustrated, published on Food 52, here. 2. Random Bananas Foster Pie recipe, found here. […]