Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

Do you impulse buy?

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

I do.   My impulse buys are most often food related.  Last week I discovered a really great local cheese shop, Scardello Artisan Cheese, in Dallas and I could not help but go in and shop.  I got some terribly expensive, and very tasty, sea salt caramels, some disappointing dark chocolate, and two superb cheeses.  One was a sharp cheddar made in Texas, and the other was a raw milk Gouda, also made in Texas.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

The cheddar has been easy to use in sandwiches, egg dishes and such.  The Gouda was different.  I had picked it on impulse with no plan for it.  So, I had a think and decided to add it to some cornbread along with some extra spices, and some left over buttermilk.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

The texture is soft and creamy, there is a slight smokey flavor followed by a gentle spice, and it is some of the best cornbread I have ever had.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread  Yield 18 muffins or 1 – 9″ round loaf

5 oz all-purpose Flour
5 oz corm meal
1 1/2 oz sugar
.5 oz baking powder
.75 oz non-fat dry milk
4 oz Gouda cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon dry chipotle powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 egg, beaten
9 oz buttermilk
.5 oz honey or corn syrup
6 oz butter, melted

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a 12-cup muffin pan, or a 9″ cake pan, with non-stick spray.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

In a large bowl mix the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, non-fat dry milk, and spices until well combined.  Add the cheese and stir to combine.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

In a separate bowl mix the egg, milk, honey or corn syrup, and butter.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the went into it.  Fold the mixture gently, mixing until the dry ingredients are just moist.  Do not over-mix.

Scoop into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup half way with batter, or pour the patter into the prepared cake pan.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes for muffins, or 25 to 30 for the cake pan.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

Allow to cool in the pan for 3 minutes before turning out of the pan.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

Serve immediately.

Chipotle Gouda Cornbread

Tags: , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Chipotle Gouda Cornbread”

1. Sweta says:

Cool-never tried it before:)

2. Wow – looks fantastic! I love all things chipotle… and these look amazing.

3. Marye says:

Looks great. Is the cheese shop at Farmer’s Market? My food budget is over the top right now, I dont know how much artisan stuff I can do…but I need to at least go look….

I bet this is so good. I want a piece with a bowl of soup! Yum!

5. Those are some great flavors in that cornbread. Yummm! Have you ever tried using whole grain cornmeal? I love the crunch.

Marye – The cheese shop is on Oak Lawn, just a few door down from my new local butcher!

Lori – I have made cornbread with it before and I also like the texture it adds. I think it would be really nice in this recipe, too. :)

7. Jessie says:

yummy cheesy cornbread! you should try cheddar cheese, it is fantastic in cornbread :)

8. s. stockwell says:

This is going to be a winner! We usually add some whole kernels to ours for added texture. and, isn’t chipotle so wonderful? we put it in everything? made a lime chipotle sorbet. Corn bread is an often forgotten clever addition to a grilled dinner. Great one. Thanks, s

9. This looks wonderful, great pictures!

I impulse buy food-related items all the time. Bought some za’atar the other day, so far, not that impressed. Bought some campesino cheese from Lucky Layla farms, don’t know what to do with it! This cornbread looks yummy though…maybe I could substitute gouda with the campesino?

Alta – I bet you could! Who knows, it could be the best thing … EVER!

12. jenn says:

Mmmm…cornbread. Looks delicious!!! I love that you added a little heat to it. nice!

I tend to have impulse buys to. It’s habit i need to get out of. LOL. But sometimes it’s hard to resist.

13. Kristin says:

Oh . . . my . . . goodness. This sounds great!!

14. do I impulse buy? lmao. yes. we have a limit- one impulse buy a piece per grocery trip and one each per farmers market trip. Before this rule, we easily spent as much on impulse buys as planned buys!!

Once again, delicious looking recipe. I love chipotle, and it sounds fantastic with the cheese.

15. MMMM! This flavor profile makes my tastebuds tingle! Are you shipping this bread anytime soon? JK, but wow, I would LOVE to receive some of this bread in the mail :)

16. Funny…my impulse buys are almost always food related! Beautiful texture in the cornbread muffins. I am a big fan of chipotle myself.

17. gaga says:

Yum, what a great flavor combo!

18. Miranda says:

This looks fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. My husband would love it!!

19. Find me a chef/cook who doesn’t impulse buy and I want to have a serious talk with them.
    Wandering through food markets and specialty stores discovering ingredients is always a treat. Bringing those ingredients home and creating is the ecstasy.
    Thanks for this lovely article.
    BTW Gouda is one of our favorite cheeses. Check out our Champagne Truffle Mac n Cheese with Pancetta and Wild Mushrooms- The Cheese….smoked Gouda.

20. oh yes – impulse buying is definitely a habit for me! this cornbread is right up my alley, i can’t wait to try it!

21. Danica says:

spicy, cheesey cornbread – YUM!

22. HannahBanana says:

I am a huge lover of cornbread…this sounds flat out amazing! Thanks for sharing it….will be making this very soon!
    All the best to you.

23. Rico says:

Looks delicious and very fluffy. well done thks 4 sharing :) xx

24. I think Bobby Flay might be in trouble…

25. s. stockwell says:

Love this one…we would, however, bake it in an iron skillet with some hot bacon fat in the bottom? you are evil and we are naughty! best from Jefferson’s Table

1. Chipotle Gouda Cornbread | Vino Luci Style - A food and wine blog with recipes, wine reviews and product announcements including Lolita wine glasses and Lollia Bath and Body products - May 27, 2009

[…] to Evil Shenanigans for this recipe and […]