Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

If you were to ask me what my favorite flavor of the moment was, I would answer, “Chipotle!”

Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

Dried and smoked jalapenos are magic, and they reach super-nova status when incorporated into sweet applications.  Like Vern’s Raspberry Chipotle Jelly, which is sweet and spicy.  I have used it to fill danish, spread it inside turnovers, and now I have swirled it into vanilla cupcakes.

Vern's Raspberry Chipotle Jelly

Inspiration struck looking at some rainbow tinted cupcakes a month ago.  They were really pretty and I contemplated what would happen if each layer had a different flavor.  Well, I thought, it would be a muddle, but if there was one flavor swirled in that would be good.   Better than good.

Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

Fast forward to last week, when I saw in my pantry an unassuming jar of Raspberry Chipotle Jelly.  I do not think I need to explain further.

Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

These are sweet, a touch spicy, and just darn pretty!

Raspberry Swirl Cupcakes  Yield 1 dozen

6 oz unsalted butter
7 1/2 oz sugar
1/2 oz honey or golden syrup
2 eggs
7 1/2 oz buttermilk
6 1/2 oz all-purpose flour
1/8 oz baking powder
1/8 oz salt
1/3 cup raspberry chipotle jelly, or raspberry jelly with 1/2 teaspoon of minced chipotle
Red food coloring

Heat the oven to 350 F and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners*.

Wet IngredientsRaspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

Allow your butter to come to room temperature, then blend it with the sugar and honey or golden syrup until fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.  Blend until well mixed.

Dry Ingredients

Sift the dry ingredients to combine.  Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk into the butter, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.

Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

Pour about 1/3 of the batter into a bowl and mix in the Raspberry Chipotle Jelly and a few drops of red food coloring.  Mix well.

Fill the cupcake liners 1/4 of the way with the plain batter.  Top it with two tablespoons of the raspberry batter then take a knife or toothpick and make a figure-eight pattern one time.  Do not overswirl.  Top with one tablespoon of the plain batter and with a knife spread it toward the edges, but do not swirl in the raspberry batter.   Most likely it will not reach the edges, but spread it as best you can.  It does not matter if the pink shows on top.

Bake for 20-25 min, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.

Raspberry Chipotle Swirl CupcakesRaspberry Chipotle Swirl CupcakesRaspberry Chipotle Swirl CupcakesRaspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

Frost as desired (I used some white buttercream frosting I had left from a wedding cake I made).

Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes

*The fun purple cupcake liners used in this post can be purchased at http://www.acupcakery.com/ . They retain their color, are slightly taller than the standard cupcake pan giving the cupcakes a better shape, and I can’t recommend them enough!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes”

1. deeba says:

This is evil stuff Ms Shenanigan, if you have to endure the torture of facing a screen! Fabulous. The chipotle in there is SO INTRIGUING! Very pretty pictures too. Love the frosting!

I too love chipotle! As if you couldn’t already tell. These look yummy!

3. Chipotle is one of my favorites right now, too! These cupcakes look wonderful! The picture with the bite out of it is cute, too. :)

4. Love the purple liners! These look so delectable!

5. Ruth says:

So so very pretty!

6. ValleyWriter says:

You always do the most amazing job with cupcakes! I’m stuck at my desk at work – and you’re killing me with these tempting little things!! :-D

7. I love chipotle in chocolate truffles…sounds great in these cupcakes too!
    You are an amazing baker!

8. Sweta says:

Absolutely tantalizing!! Never tried raspberry+chipotle jelly :)

9. jenn says:

Looks delish!!! Cupcake with a kick!! I want to try some of that chipotle jelly. I can imagine that on some toast.

10. Kathy says:

I think I love you Kelly. I’d ask you to marry me, but I generally like someone with more testosterone.

11. Dimah says:

Mmmm..they look and sound fantastic!

12. Wendy says:

Your cupcakes look wonderful and delicious. The jam sounds amazing. Like something I would eat straight from the jar.

13. love it! I like how they look so cute and innocent but then they’re chipotle!
    also, the wrappers are adorable- are they silicon?

LK – No, they are high quality paper liners. I ADORE THEM!!

15. donna says:

You rock my kitchen Kelly!

16. s. stockwell says:

Oh my, you just know we are a sucker for anything chipotle these days? love the presentation too. thanks, s

17. Danica says:

Those cupcakes are beautiful! I LOVE the raspberry chipolte combination in BBQ….I bet it tastes great in cupcakes too!

18. JehanP says:

wow..this looks spectacular! I love anything raspberry.

19. Elyse says:

What a genius idea! I love the smokiness paired with sweetness. Plus, these cupcakes look just gorgeous with the swirled red color and the beautiful frosting. Great job! Love your blog! Can’t wait to keep reading more.

20. teresa says:

Great combination!

21. megan says:

I’ve made chocolate chipotle but raspberry chipotle sounds awesome. Plus they are prettier. ;-)

22. Lynette says:

Raspberry chipotle is my new best friend I can’t wait to try these cupcakes. Thanks for sharing what a great idea.

23. That jar of jelly didn’t know what it had coming! You took it from a grub and turned it into a beautiful butterfly. I am impessed, inspired, and hungry. Thanks for sharing!!!

24. Rico says:

Looks very nice indeed wonderful cakes (cup) :) xx Rico|Recipes

25. Wyatt says:

Greetings! I’ve been following your site for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good job!

1. Raspberry Chipotle Swirl Cupcakes - January 6, 2014