Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Do you have some ripe bananas that aren’t good for anything other than baking?  Are you tired of the same old banana bread?  Then keep reading!

DSCF2530

I had some extra bananas that I had forgotten to eat with my breakfast cereal.  They were pretty black and really soft, and I knew that they were only good for baking.   I did not, however, want regular old banana bread.  Not that I have anything against banana bread, I love it, but I was not in the mood for it.  Instead I wanted a layer cake.  So, I set out to make a cake with my bananas.

DSCF2518

The resulting cake was super moist and very tender.  It is almost fall-apart tender.  It is a good thing I used cream cheese frosting to ice it because cutting the chilled cake was a lot easier.

DSCF2529

This sweet, moist, and fluffy cake is perfect with a layer of sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting.  It would be good for a birthday, pot-luck, or anytime you have some bananas languishing on your counter.

Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting  Serves 10 – 12

2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla

Frosting:
1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, soft
1 stick butter, soft
3 cups sifted powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350F and prepare two 9″ cake pans with non-stick spray.

DSCF2488DSCF2491

Peel your ripe bananas and mash then with a fork until they are mostly mush.

DSCF2493DSCF2494

Pour the buttermilk into the bananas and mix well.  Set aside.

DSCF2492

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.

DSCF2495

In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until well mixed and lighter in color.  Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla.  Mix well.

Add the dry ingredients and the banana mixture in three installments, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.

DSCF2496 DSCF2499

Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and pulls away from the sides of the pan.

DSCF2502

Allow the cakes to cool for ten minutes in the pans, then turn out to cool completely on racks.

While the cake cools prepare the frosting by creaming the cream cheese with the butter, then adding the powdered sugar and vanilla.

DSCF2505DSCF2507

Fill and coat the cake, then chill for one hour before slicing.

DSCF2527

DSCF2541

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

47 Responses to “Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting”

1. Ohhhhh, that looks so delicious. Yep, I’m one of those who can never figure out new things to do with her aging bananas. Love cream cheese icing, so this one is pullin’ me in!

2. Melissa says:

I have it bookmarked and am going to buy bananas TODAY so I can get started on this FANTASTIC looking cake. I am drooling just reading this!! DELICIOUS!!

3. Sue says:

FINALLY! I am soooo sick of banana bread and I have been looking everywhere for a perfect banana cake. Thank you! What took you so long?! ;-)

4. that is a SUPERB idea. it’s true we always jump to banana bread the minute we’ve got overripe bananas. this cake looks super-elegant. another thing to do with leftover bananas – banana fritters. sounds weird, but my mom used to make them and they were pretty delicious! kind of like a banana flavored beignet.

5. Looks beautiful! I am always happy to discover new uses for the over ripe bananas that I seem to accumulate on the counter!

6. Danica says:

YUM!!! I made a banana raspberry cake with cream cheese frosting similar to this and it rocked! I need to try this version out :)

7. I usually used riped bananas for a smoothie but I have now found a new idea! thanks!

8. donna says:

Absolutely delicious, this looks fantastic, Kelly. Love the cream cheese frosting .. works so well with banana cake. Beautiful!

9. s. stockwell says:

Oh my, we can tell by looking that is would be so delicious…and we just happen to have some old bananas & some cream cheese frosting right here? we needed this, thanks, s

I’ve been waiting on this one! The cake looks fabulous! I can’t wait to make it, I always have extra bananas!

11. doggybloggy says:

blogville is killing me today – first I see peach cobbler and now banana cake with cream cheese frosting – this is taking it too far…I can smell it for petes sake!

I’m still in love with the idea of your bananas foster cream pie, and here you whip out another banana recipe? I can’t keep up! Sounds delicious – I think I need to overbuy bananas on purpose next time I shop!

bakingepiphanies – Banana fritters sound lovely!

Alta – It has been a banana kind of month at my house!

14. That looks perfect! Soft, moist and sweet.

15. jenn says:

That looks sooo good. Banana and cream cheese frosting. Yum!!!!

16. Debbie says:

I’m so excited to read this recipe – I already have everything to make this on hand! YAY! I will be making this for my family tonight – and we thank you very much! We do love banana bread, but like to have something “different” on occasion – and this sounds just right!

17. ingrid says:

Yum, that does look deliciously moist! I always have bananas on the counter in various degrees of ripeness!
    ~ingrid

18. Sweta says:

Oh wow-that looks heavenly!! Hope I can save some bananas to make this-I guess I’ll have to try hiding them ;)

19. Jessie says:

such a simple cake but yet so delicious. I think this is a cake that I would be eating every morning for breakfast hehehe

20. Miranda says:

Why couldn’t you post this last week?
    I just needed a recipe for very ripe bananas….I well def. use this next time. Thanks for sharing. You always have awesome recipes.

21. Amanda says:

Mmmm looks yummy!I get tired of banana bread too. It’s funny I just made a banana cake with brown butter glaze yesterday :)

22. Deborah says:

I’m wishing I had a slice of this for breakfast!

23. add some coconut to the top and I’m sold! Looks great.

24. I was able to keep my cool until the very last picture when I completely let go of all inhibitions and drool in public. Cream cheese frosting is my number one favorite frosting.

25. PnkShu says:

Happened to have over ripe bananas sitting in my fruit bowl… so I gave this a try. I only had a 9 x 12 pan on hand so I adjusted the cooking time slightly. AND…I added a 1/2 c of cocoa powder to the cream cheese frosting. Mmmmmmm

26. Debbie says:

I decided to make this the night I found your recipe. I cut the sugar slightly by using 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup of brown sugar. That was the only difference in the cake. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE! What a yummy recipe.

After I frosted the cake and had leftover frosting, I decided to add a bit of peanut butter and it was like peanut butter fudge. Next time I’m going to try that for the frosting.

Thanks for sharing this!

Debbie – I am so glad you enjoyed it! :)

28. Katrina says:

De-licious! I love banana anything and this cake looks divine! Some nuts would be awesome on it, too, but that’s because I AM nuts! ;)

29. Cyndi says:

That looks so ridiculously good! And oh-so-tender! Do you think it would stand up well as a cupcake? And about how many do you think your recipe would make?

30. Rico says:

Looks soo nice and moist and super delicious well done.
    Rico|Recipes

31. Jennifer says:

I made this cake, and it is officially the best cake I have ever tasted in my entire life. I am afraid to make it again as I know I will hover over it until the whole thing is gone.

Thanks for the recipe…and changing my life!

BEST CAKE EVER!

32. ingrid says:

Okey-doke! I made this on Saturday and it was good BUT I had serious problems with the frosting. It was so soft that my layers slide all over the place. :) I had the leaning tower of banana cake. Other than that it was perfect. I also baked the batter in various pans. Worked like a charm and tasted great! Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

33. Julie H says:

I made this tonight and it was delicious!! The cake was so light and fluffy and the icing was the perfect sweetness! Thanks for the recipe.

34. lydia says:

I just tried this out. I halved the recipe and baked a 1 layer 7″ cake. It was done in about 20 minutes (toothpick came out clean) but it had a somewhat dense, almost sticky texture. Am i doing something wrong, or is this how it’s supposed to taste like?

35. Remi says:

I made this cake EXCATELY and it turned out dense and dark on the inside and not light and fluffy. I m a huge baker and I don’t understand how it turned out like. Do you have any suggestions?

36. Lemoncello says:

Your cake looks so nice and fluffy. Mine was more solid

37. Nancy Canoy says:

Any idea if this would work with Splenda? We use Splenda in our banana bread — only difference we found is that it doesn’t rise quite as high but still tatest great.

The part I’m wondering about it the frosting.

It sure sounds yummy!

I think you could use Splenda in the frosting if you wanted to. I have found cream cheese based frostings work best with Spelnda. You may need to chill the cake before serving to help the frosting set-up.

39. Krista says:

Ok What did I do wrong, I made it last night not once but twice and it was a runny yucky mess. Never even cooked right at all. Looked like runny banana’s in karo syrup.

Krista – I have no idea what the issue could be, except that you are not using the right amount of flour, or you added too much buttermilk? The batter is not terribly thick, but it is by no means runny. Did you use AP flour or cake flour? Did you make any substitutions?

41. Krista says:

Kelly..Used Ap flour and 1 cup buttermilk. The second time I used more flour and got the same results.

42. Sharon Warren says:

Made the cake for Rosh Hashanah. Everybody raved about it. I added a few chocolate chips on top, only for some contrast, and my husband, who doesn’t usually like banana cakes, loved it. it’s a thumb’s up.

43. April says:

This cake is absolutely delicious! I’ve made it twice now, with the third in the oven. I used 4 mashed bananas, which sometimes equals more than 1 cup of bananas but it’s worked out fine so far. I also reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup and baked for 55 minutes in a 9×13 pan. Very, very good cake.

1. Twitted by mcogdill - June 8, 2009

[...] This post was Twitted by mcogdill – Real-url.org [...]

2. Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting < It’s all about the trends - June 8, 2009

[...] banana bread, I love it, but I was not in the mood for it.  Instead I wanted a layer cake.  S click for more var gaJsHost = ((“https:” == document.location.protocol) ? “https://ssl.” : [...]

3. Leftovers: Links You May Have Missed | dinnercraft - June 12, 2009

[...] Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting [Evil Shenanigans] When saddled with overripe bananas, bread isn’t your only option. Try this cake, which is just as delicious but features 100% more cream cheese frosting. [...]

4. Sa-weet! Saturday Link Love | Family Foodies - June 13, 2009

[...] Shenanigan’s Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is DA BOMB!  I made it one night this week after finding this recipe and realizing I had all the [...]