Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

I don’t know about you but I love humble desserts, and of those desserts there is just something special about loaf cakes.

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

They are not the prettiest desserts out there.  Often they are served unadorned or simply glazed.  Sitting next to a flaky croissant, a glistening napoleon, or a fluffy mousse they wouldn’t win the beauty prize, but looks can be deceiving.  Let’s be honest, because it is just you and I.  I find that the prettiest desserts are more often than not disappointing in the flavor department.  In fact, I believe the time spent gussying up some desserts could be better spent working on improving the flavor.

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

This charmingly humble loaf cake delivers in the flavor department.  Richly chocolaty and moist, this cake may not be the most fancy dessert you ever make, but it will always be welcome because it tastes so darn good!

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

As with most quick-breads, the less you mix it once the flour is added the more tender it will be.   Wrapped well it keeps for three days on the counter.   It also makes a delightful breakfast, smeared with some raspberry jam.  (Not that I would know from first-hand experience or anything.)

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze Serves 8 to 10

2 ounces dark (64% or higher) chocolate, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream

Glaze:
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
2 teaspoons milk

Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until well combined. Mix in the applesauce and blend well. Add the egg and egg white and mix until well incorporated and lighter in color.  Add the melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix well.

Add the flour mixture in three installments alternately with the sour cream, starting and ending with the flour mixture.  Pour batter into the prepared pan, making sure the mixture is evenly spread.

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes before running a thin knife along the sides of the pan to release the cake. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cake is cool prepare the glaze.

In a microwave safe bowl melt the chips with the milk using 15 second intervals. Stir well after each interval. Do not over heat.

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

Once completely melted mix well and immediately pour over the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze”

1. marye says:

send it over. I am ready for breakfast.

You always make the tastiest things. I want to try everything on your blog! The cake looks moist and delicious and I love the glaze!

3. Danica says:

That looks so good – LOVE the white chocolate glaze idea.

4. Perfect timing! It’s 4.00pm in the UK, time for a piece of cake

5. Natalie says:

beautiful cake, looks lovely.

I sent you a message a few weeks back about a featured publishers dinner in Dallas. I never got a reply, but this will be happening in July if you are interested…

Natalie
    natalieskillercuisine.blogspot.com

6. deeba says:

Just gorgeous. Love everything that went in there. The glaze has me drooooooling!!

Natalie – I never got an email. Maybe my spam filter caught it! Can you email me again?

8. Jamie says:

I love loaf cakes. My favorite things to bake and to eat. Not humble at all, especially when they are as moist and luscious as this is!

9. Theresa says:

Ohhh this has got me drooling! I’m not a fan of white chocolate, so I think I’d do just a plain sugar glaze, but I’m picturing the finished product tasting like a glaze chocolate donut – YUM! I think I’m going to have to try this one!

10. SKM says:

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!

11. Wait!! NOOOOO!!!
    There is only one jar left of my raspberry jam and the berries have stopped producing anymore!!!!!
    Aw…nuts….so would a scoop a vanilla ice cream work as well??
    And to be realy naughty, I’ll pop it in the toaster, then drizzle some dark chocolate syrup over it and THEN the ice cream….for breakfast!!!
    :P

12. Very nice pictures showing how you made the cake. Thank you for sharing.

13. Paula says:

I love a good loaf cake, too. If it has chocolate in it, even better!

YUM, I love that you have allowed us all to have a slice for breakfast. With raspberry jam, cause we all know that counts as a fruit, right? :) Sounds so delicious!

15. Looks so moist and chocolatey! I would love a few slices with ice-cream please!

16. Butterfly says:

OMG…I want a piece!! I can’t stop looking at the white chocolate glaze thats poured over the cake….now i’m hungry :)!!

17. jenn says:

You had me a chocolate and chocolate. I don’t need to know anything else. But then I see that loaf cake. Loving that white chocolate glaze.

18. ValleyWriter says:

Looks delicious. And to make everyone feel even more OK with having this for breakfast, I think because it’s made in a loaf pan, it’s perfectly reasonable to call it “bread.” Therefore, you’d just be having bread & jam for breakfast – something even your mom wouldn’t disapprove of! :-P

19. doggybloggy says:

you are so lucky I am not close by and I dont have keys to where you live because I would have sneaked in and stole this bad boy!

20. Raspbery jam on the cake for breakfast with coffee sounds just right with me. Great step by step pics as always, Kelly.

21. Carolyn says:

This looks incredibly, soften-butter-tonight-to-make-tomorrow good. I couldn’t agree more about humble desserts. There are sweets to look at and sweets to eat. This one’s an eater!

22. Gale Reeves says:

Congratulations on your TS post; read about it in Twitter.
    Chocolate…yummmm!

23. Heavenly cake, I just love this white chocolate glaze!

24. friedaboston says:

can’t wait for club day to serve

25. Jessie says:

oh my that looks decadent! I love the glaze on the chocolate cake too

26. I love how the glaze filled in the cracks on top. Mmmmm….

~Donna

27. Carolyn says:

Just a little update — this cake is in my oven right now, smelling incredible and rising beautifully. My 4-year-old graduated from preschool today, and we made it together to celebrate. Woo hoo!

28. I totally agree that the best foods are usually not photogenic. But this cake? Not pretty? What are you talking about? This looks amazing! Moist chocolate cake + drippy icing = drop dead gorgeous.

29. Oh, I don’t know about ‘not pretty.’ This one is look pretty darn good. I did a healthier choc banana bread sort of thing a while back that is getting some mixed reviews. Probably best not to try and make it healthy! Love the glaze on top :)

30. Katrina says:

Looks de-lish to me. I just made some chocolate/banana mini loaves to give away today. I love this kind of treat.

31. Debby says:

While looking a pretty photos of food is fun, what I really look at are the ingredients. This recipe translates into a very tasty (and moist) loaf– or bundt cake. I think it’s pretty darn tasty looking! I like simplicity, in my busy life anyway. I’m bookmarking this as an easy dessert to serve my family. Great job!

32. N.D. says:

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it.

33. Looks so beautiful and delicious!

34. bergamot says:

yummy…i like the way you spread the glaze… looks really tempting :-)

1. Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze- MakeaPost - June 17, 2009

[...] here to read the rest: Chocolate Loaf Cake with White Chocolate Glaze Tags: and-worries, beauty, beauty-prize, flaky-croissant, fluffy-mousse, get-started-, know-about, [...]

2. Chocolate Loaf Cake (with Ice Cream) « The Craving Chronicles - June 26, 2009

[...] I was browsing Evil Shenanigans last week, I saw Kelly’s post about Chocolate Loaf Cake. We all know how much I love chocolate, but did you know I also love loaf cakes? They’re [...]