Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

So, the recipe for Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies contains a recipe that yields well over a cup of caramel sauce.

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

That is a lot more caramel than you really need.  Never fear, I have an elegant solution for what to do with the extra caramel that does not require two pints of ice cream and a marathon of my favorite Marilyn Monroe movies.  (How to Marry a Millionaire is my number 1 favorite!)

Use the extra caramel in a cake!

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

This is a lovely little cake is perfect for snacking but is also good to bring to a party.  Since this cake has such deep flavor from the caramel and the frosting you can serve as few as 9 or as many as 12.  It is very rich.  For a bigger crowd you could very easily double the recipe and bake a two layer cake, just be sure to triple the frosting so you can frost the cake completely.

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

And while we are talking about frosting, I decided on a cream cheese frosting with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla beans after trying a caramel flavored frosting with the cake.  It was too sweet and the flavor, I found, competed too much with the caramel in the cake.  (I also had some ‘technical difficulty’ with the consistency of the caramel frosting.  Frosting FAIL … so frustrating.)  Ultimately I was happy with the cream cheese because it has a nice tang which really pops the deeper caramel notes.

Caramel Cake with Caramel Icing       Serves 9-12

1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup caramel

For the frosting:
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or regular vanilla extract)
2 cups powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8″ square cake pan with non-stick spray.

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the egg and vanilla and whisk until well blended.

In another bowl sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.

In a mixing cup, or small bowl, mix the buttermilk and caramel.

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

Alternately add the flour and caramel into the butter and sugar in three additions starting and ending with the flour.

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Spread it out evenly then bake it for 30 minutes or until it begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and the center springs back when gently pressed.  The center of the cake may dip slightly.

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out on a wire rack to cool.

While the cake cools prepare the frosting.

In a large bowl mix the cream cheese and butter until well combined.  Whisk in the cinnamon, vanilla bean paste and powdered sugar until smooth.

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

Once the cake cools frost as desired and serve.

Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

Tags: , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting”

1. Paula says:

Yummy looks wonderful. Especially that frosting!!!

2. Jamie says:

Okay now you are one of my favorite people! How to marry a millionaire is one of my faves and Marilyn Monroe is brilliant in it!! And this cake? Wow just fabulous and a great cake to eat while watching that movie!

3. Elle says:

What a gorgeous cake for the season! And love love love the fluffy, billowy cream cheese icing. Just perfect!

4. genny says:

I’d like to smell …

5. Eliana says:

What a great way to use up extra caramel. This cake looks outstanding.

6. Mmm… This looks amazing as is; or maybe with apples added in somewhere. Mouth-watering post!

7. caramel-y goodness. I love the cream cheese frosting with the added cinnamon and vanilla. Great idea!! I’d like to have a piece of this for lunch.

Wow, I love caramel. Seriously, it’s up there, neck-and-neck with chocolate. Sometimes, it beats chocolate as my favorite. This looks yummy.

9. oh man, this looks so good! I shouldn’t have looked at your blog when I was itching for a snack!!

10. Chris says:

So many tasty words that start with C and one that starts with V.

Mmmmmmmm! I want a bite!

12. Miranda says:

It looks moist and the icing looks creamy. It is perfect. Thank you for sharing.

Check out my giveaway if you have a chance…

13. ValleyWriter says:

The cake looks so moist, yet fluffy at the same time – yum! And I love the specks of vanilla bean in the frosting – I’ll have to give this a try!

14. Oh yum… Your cake looks amazing. I just picked up some vanilla beans while I was in Boston this weekend (at one of my favorite spice shops), and that frosting is calling my name!

15. ABowlOfMush says:

Love the flavors here.

The cake looks so beautifully moist and your frosting looks so gorgeous!

16. Frenchie says:

My room mate asked me to make her a caramel cake. Now I know what recipe to follow!

17. This looks incredible! I love caramel, and the vanilla seeds in the frosting look great.

18. Bob says:

If only all leftovers could be baked into cakes. Heh. Looks awesome, love that frosting.

19. Oui, Chef says:

I love caramel in all its forms, and I’m sure this cake will be no exception. Nice idea with the flavored cream cheese frosting too!

20. Nutmeg Nanny says:

I love how you can see all the vanilla bean in the frosting…yum!

21. Mansi says:

Hi there, congrats on winning the Bertolli challenge on FB! glad to have discovered your blog!

btw, this caramel cake looks devilishly good. I’m hosting a sweet celebration contest on my blog, and it would be great if you could send in an entry!

you seem to have a lot of goodies on your site!:)

22. This sounds delicious. I think I’ll give it a try this weekend.

23. I really do wish that I could just reach into the photo so I can have some right now! I do not get along with baking — at all, but I want to attempt this one anyway.

24. I think I gained 3 pounds reading this. This looks so very delicious! Great pics too!

25. Gelareh says:

OMG! Your cakes look so Yumelicious… I never thought of putting vanilla bean in my frosting.. I have got to give that a try… thanks for the inspiration..

I made this cake today. It absolutely delicious and moist! Thanks for sharing it…everyone loved it!

27. efrain says:

can you make vanilla bean paste out of a vanilla bean? is that easy?

Efrain – If you just scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod it is the same thing. :)

29. efrain says:

so i use the scrapings from the vanilla pod? or the other part? and then i mash that up into a paste?

Efrain, just the seeds inside the pod. The pod itself you can put into sugar to make vanilla sugar, or simmer in some milk, add some sugar and cocoa and make hot chocolate.

31. It looks so fluffy, the texture and the feeling in your mouth when you devour it must be wonderful?

32. Anna says:

making it now!

33. Anna says:

I made this and it came out really good, fluffy, and beautiful. It doesnt look the same, like its not brown, but i made an extra cupcake so i can taste it. it taste so good!

34. Kaeley says:

I was searching forever for a recipe like this. So I made this for a friend’s birthday, but altered it slightly. Instead of making caramel sauce, I melted some Kraft caramel with a smidge of butter and milk and used that instead. It made the baking time a bit longer (to the point the edges browned a bit too much but it was okay) and it seemed a bit denser, almost like a brownie. Regardless, it was AMAZING. I frosted it with a chocolate icing and it was just heaven.

1. Tweets that mention Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - October 19, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Erica Caskey. Erica Caskey said: Wowie. RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans – Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting – http://bit.ly/32bWNE [...]

2. Pumpkin Cupcakes | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - November 13, 2009

[...] can top these cupcakes with any frosting you please.  Cream cheese would be delightful, but I used a simple vanilla buttercream and they were heaven.    If you [...]