Butter Croissants

Ready for something a tad more advanced?  It takes time to make, but it is SO worth it.

Butter Croissants

I fell in love with croissant making a few semesters ago in my Laminated Dough class.  Bread making is among my favorite things to do in the kitchen, but making laminated doughs (doughs with butter sandwiched between the layers) tops that.  It takes time to make laminated dough and the process has taught me a lot about being patient in the kitchen.  Some things can’t be rushed.

Butter Croissants

Making croissants at home is not a hard thing to do.  Yes, it will seem intimidating the first time when you see all the steps all at once, but  it is really just three stages, which makes the whole process less intimidating for me.

Stage 1 – Mixing the dough and making the butter block

Stage 2 – Marrying the butter with the dough and doing your three turns (folding the dough into thirds, like a letter, and turning 90 degrees)

Stage 3 – Make-up and baking

Butter Croissants

A few things to note:

I proof these croissants in the refrigerator overnight then allow them to set, at room temperature, for an hour before baking. The long, cold proof gives the dough more flavor and allows the butter to chill completely before the final proof at room temperature.

The oven gets a spritz of water from a spray bottle before the croissants go in, and another when I put them in the oven.  The steam helps the croissants get nice and big.  You want that.

Give yourself two or three days to make these.  If I do not have a full day to make the dough and do the turns, about 6 hours for stage one and two,  I make the dough and make the butter block the first day, do the turns and make up the croissants the second and bake the third.

Cook the croissants until they are well past golden brown. The edges should be quite dark and the tops a robust brown color.  This does two things, it gives the croissants more flavor and it ensures they are done all the way through.

Once made up into croissants you can freeze the dough and store it for as long as two months.  Just put the frozen croissants in the refrigerator overnight to defrost and let stand for an hour and a half before baking.

This dough can also be used for some pretty awesome danish!

Butter Croissants

Roll your sleeves up, get out your butter and remember, no fear!  You CAN do this!!

Butter Croissants   Yield 5 pounds of dough (about 48 croissants)
Adapted from Professional Baking, 4th Edition by Wayne Glisslen

For the pre-ferment:
7 ounces water, warmed to 110F
1/2 ounce dry active yeast
5 ounces bread flour

For the dough:
2 1/2 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon salt
12 ounces whole milk
1 1/2 ounces water
2 pounds bread flour

For the butter block:
1 pound 4 ounces butter (I use salted for croissants, but unsalted is also good)

Egg wash:
1 egg
1 tablespoon cream
2 teaspoons water

Butter Croissants Butter Croissants

Begin by preparing the pre-ferment.  In the bowl of a mixer, or in a large bowl, mix the water, yeast, and bread flour.  Mix until it forms a very wet dough.  Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.

While the pre-ferment sits prepare the butter block.

Butter Croissants Butter Croissants

Between two sheets of parchment paper arrange 5 sticks of cold butter into a rough square.  Using a rolling pin press and pound the butter until it forms a rectangle about 1/4″ thick.  Place this in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Butter Croissants Butter Croissants

Once the pre-ferment is rested add the ingredients for the dough and mix on low speed for three minutes.  Increase the speed to medium for two minutes.  You do not want to form gluten, you are just trying to form a rough ball of dough.  Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until it forms a relatively smooth ball.

Butter Croissants Butter CroissantsButter Croissants

Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover until it is double in bulk, about 50 minutes.  Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and, using the palm of your hand, press out the air bubbles.  Form another ball and return to the bowl.  Refrigerate for an hour.

Butter Croissants Butter Croissants

Once the dough has rested for an hour remove it and the butter block from the refrigerator.  Turn the dough out on a a lightly floured surface and press out the air.  Using a rolling pin form a large rectangle roughly  12″ x 24″.

Butter Croissants

Take the butter block still wrapped in parchment and see if it covers 2/3 of the rolled out dough.  If it is too small roll it out until it fits, leaving a 1/2″ border around the edges.  You can use your fingers to spread the butter if needed, just make sure that the butter does not develop any holes.

Butter Croissants Butter Croissants

Fold the dough with out butter over the center of the dough.  Fold the buttered side in.   At this point check to see of the butter is getting soft.  You want the butter cool and firm, but if it is starting to melt let the dough chill, covered, for twenty minutes before you make the first turn. ( If you work quickly you can incorporate the butter and do your first turn before you have to chill.  Your first time you may not be able to.  That is completely ok.)

Butter CroissantsButter Croissants Butter Croissants Butter Croissants

Turn the dough 90 degrees, or with the long seam facing horizontal to you.  Dust the board and the dough well with flour and roll out the dough into a rectangle that is about 12″ by 20″.  Dust all the flour from the dough and fold one third of the dough in.  Dust the top of the dough again to remove any flour and then fold the other third over the top.  Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for an hour.

Repeat this process two more times.

Once you have completed three turns, and the dough has rested for an hour, you are ready to roll out and make up your croissants.

Divide the dough in half.  Wrap the half you are not using and return to the refrigerator.

Butter Croissants Butter Croissants

On a well floured surface roll out the dough until it is about 1/8″ thick.  You may need to let the dough rest during this process if it starts to spring back.  If so, cover with plastic and return to the refrigerator for ten minutes.  Once rolled out cut the dough in half lengthwise with a pizza cutter.  Now, holding your cutter at an angle cut triangles from the strips of dough that are about 4″ wide at the base.  Cut one strip at a time.

Butter Croissants Butter Croissants Butter Croissants

Working with a few triangles at a time, chilling the rest, stretch the dough gently at the base until it is about 5″ to 6″ wide, then stretch the dough lengthwise so it forms a long triangle.  Working from the base, roll the dough onto itself, stopping to stretch the unrolled dough half way through.  Place the dough with the point on the bottom and tuck the edges in to form a crescent shape.  Place on a parchment lined sheet pan.

Cover with plastic and chill for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.

Heat the oven to 400 F, prepare the egg wash, and fill a spray bottle with water.  Set the dough out to proof for an hour at room temperature while the oven heats.

When you are ready to bake spritz the inside of the oven with water.  Close the door and wait thirty seconds.  Brush the croissants with egg wash, then put the pan in the oven and spritz again and quickly close the door.

Butter Croissants

Bake for 18 to 22 minutes for medium sized croissants, or until the tops are very brown and they sound hollow when tapped on the side.  Rest on the pan for five minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool slightly.

Butter Croissants

Serve warm.

Butter Croissants

© 2009 – 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “Butter Croissants”

1. Sue says:

Now that is what a croissant should look like! FedEx perhaps?

2. Beautiful croissants, crunchy, golden just perfect. I wish I had one this morning…

3. Peggu says:

these looks great!

Wow, look at all of that butter:) They are perfect! NICE JOB!

5. Kelly – I will take a dozen of these RIGHT NOW!

Wow. Not sure I could manage that but am super impressed by your efforts!

6. Very impressive. But I am being challenged enough cooking for Thanksgiving. So I’ll take some of yours. Twelve, please :).

7. Noelle says:

WOW! I mean WOW!

8. Mel says:

Brilliant :) I had so many croissants while in France… it’s just not the same as the ones we get here. I’d imagine homemade is just as good. So flaky and fluffy… awesome job :)

9. YUM! I adore homemade croissants! They take a while, but I dont’ think they’re really that difficult. They’re extra yummy if you add some orange zest to the dough (and/ or fill them with chocolate)

I have not had a homemade croissant since I was a little girl. A few sad grocery store versions, but even still…it’s been so long. These look amazing.

11. alison says:

perfect for my breakfast!congrats for this wonderful post!

12. Ellie says:

What a wonderful tutorial…thank you for the lovely photos and the recipe. I would LOVE to try these soon! Will definitely bookmark these…You did an amazing job!

Ellie – Thank you! I hope you enjoy them if you try them!
    Alison – Thank you! They make an excellent breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack … :)
    Alta – Grocery store croissants are VERY sad indeed. Mostly they use shortening for the rolling-in fat and it gives an icky mouth-feel. *bleh*
    lk – They really are not hard, but they LOOK hard, and lots of steps can be intimidating. Overall they are really easy.
    Mel – Oh, France … *jealous* Homemade croissants, the way I learned, are made more like French croissants. That is why I bake them darker, too.
    Noelle – Thanks!
    Unplanned Cooking – I wish I had some left!
    Jessica – Thank you very much!
    Mardi – I appreicate it! If you ever come visit me I will bake you some for your breakfast!
    Maria – It is a lot of butter … so evil for you but so tasty!
    Peggu – Thanks!
    citronetvanille – Thank you!
    Sue – If I had any left I would have sent them to you! ;)

14. MaryMoh says:

Wow…these look so perfect. Thanks for sharing

15. Fantastic!! I love buttery croissants. I wish I had this for breakfast instead of a bowl of cereal. I told myself once that I would attempt to make some croissants. I still haven’t gotten myself the courage to try it. lol. One day. I swear I will.

16. ValleyWriter says:

I’ve always been really intimidated by any layered dough like this, but your instructions are TERRIFIC! I feel like I could definitely do this now. Thanks!

17. Tasty Trix says:

Those are amazing. Such great work!

18. unreal! those just look so amazing! :)

19. Elle says:

Oh my gosh, those look perfect! I’ve made puff pastry only once, but would love to do it again. The flavor can’t be beat!

20. I love homemade croissants. Yours are absolutely perfect.

21. Divina says:

They’re simply gorgeous. Thanks for the step by step photo. Now I want to make them. I will wait for a cooler weather which is next year.

22. They look absolutely perfect!

23. Alina says:

Aww I’ve last had delicious butter croissants in London and I’ve been looking for something as delicious here in Riga… Now I have a recipe for home-made ones!! Just let’s see what’s greater – my laziness or my croissant cravings!:) Thank you for the great recipe, and for all the detailed instructions – those photos are really helpful!

24. Tania says:

Wow, they are perfect!

25. LeeYong says:

Looks wonderful!!!! Thanks for sharing.

26. Oh my Lord….I am placing an order as well….they look fantastic!

27. Maryam says:

I was searching for recipe like this long time ago .. Now I found one and I will give it a try. Thanks for the pictures it makes the work more easier ..

28. Memoria says:

Your croissants look great! I made croissants and laminated dough as well! I love working with this type of dough. Even with all the work that’s involved, I always get excited about the process.

Thank you for posting process photos. My family enjoyed my croissants as well. I used the recipe from Esther McManus on Julia Child’s old PBS video (the video is still online), and I used one from Pierre Hermé. I will have to try the recipe you used next.

29. Your croissants look beautiful! I recently tackled homemade puff pastry w/ the Daring Bakers, so I think I will have to try croissants next. I love all of the step-by-step photos. Very helpful!

30. These look amazing! Your description for making them was great and inspiring. I can almost taste the butter through the screen.

31. Nina says:

Thank you, thank you for totally demystifying croissants for us! This is an amazing post-beautifully written and very clear. Photos are terrific, too. I am definitely going to give this a try! Happy Holidays.

32. Oh. I know what I’m doing this weekend….

33. Yum Yucky says:

This is a stick up! Gimme all those Butter Croissants!

I’d eat ‘em all. And therein lies the problem. Oh well.

34. Adelina says:

These looks absolutely beautiful! I dare say it’s time for me to tone those arm muscles so I might as well make these!!!

Thanks for posting and for sharing!

35. JulieD says:

Yum yum yum yum! I can’t wait to try this. I have had souffles that seem to have used crossiant dough too. :D Thanks for sharing and the wonderful pictures.

36. Nicole says:

I have been wanting to do this for years, but it just hasn’t happened. Thanks for the clear instructions and photos. Maybe a fresh batch of croissants will be my Christmas gift to myself this year!

1. Butter Croissants | Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog | Process Less - November 26, 2009

[...] the original: Butter Croissants | Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog Tags: aging, Process Less, skin, steps, the-butter, the-dough, the-first, three-stages, [...]

2. National Croissant Day « 365 Foods - January 30, 2010

[...] made the dough and decided to go with Julia’s method and proof overnight. The one website (http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/11/butter-croissants/)  I am also following religiously for great pictures and advice did not include a proof overnight. [...]

3. The Chausson Death March « The Accidental Cootchie Mama - November 23, 2011

[...] we call it in America. I did it all day. Creamy profiteroles drizzled with chocolate. Layered plain croissants I pulled apart section by buttery section, marveling at their airy perfection. Sticky chausson aux [...]