Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

Growing up we would go to Houston for Thanksgiving and spend it with my mom’s family. Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

We would always have Thanksgiving dinner at my Aunt Ruby’s house, because she had the largest dining room, and the food was always spectacular. Of course, as a child all I was only interested in stuffing, rolls, macaroni and cheese, and pie. Yes, I have always been a carb addict!

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

My Aunt Ruby’s pecan pie is the stuff of family legend. For the longest time she was the only one who had the recipe. My mother and I would bake other pecan pies, and they were very nice but would pale in comparison to memories of Ruby’s pie. So, imagine my joy when my Aunt Ruby decided to share the recipe with me a few years ago!

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

The recipe that follows is an adaptation of her original recipe. It is all that is good about her pie, which is a lot, with the addition of chocolate chips and some coffee liqueur. I think it strikes the right balance between sweet and sticky filling, toasty pecans, and crisp crust.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

It is lovely with a little whipped cream, but I like mine just as it is. Make this for your Thanksgiving table and watch it vanish!

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie    Yield 1 – 9″ pie

2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup whole pecans
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 F and place a sheet pan on the second lowest rack to heat.

Cherry Cheese Tart Cherry Cheese Tart Cherry Cheese Tart

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, and salt.  Mix well, then add the fats.  Rub the fat into the flour mixture with your fingers.  You will want about 30% of the fat to be in pea sized pieces, while the rest should be rubbed in well.  Add the cold water, starting with three tablespoons and adding the fourth if needed, and knead about ten times.  Form into a disk, cover with plastic and chill for 30 or up to three days.

Cherry Cheese Tart

Once chilled, roll out the dough on a well floured surface.  Line the inside of a 9″ pie pan with the dough, making sure not to pull or stretch the dough in the pan.  Trim off any excess leaving a 1″ border of dough hanging over the outside of the pie pan.  Gently tuck the dough under, making the edge of the dough even with the edge of the pie pan, then flute the dough with your fingers.  Chill the prepared crust while you prepare the filling.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

In a medium bowl combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup, coffee liqueur, vanilla, flour, and cinnamon.  Whisk until smooth then add the eggs and mix well.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

In the bottom of the chilled crust evenly layer the pecans and chocolate chips.  Pour the filling mixture over the pecans and chocolate.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

Place the filled pie on the heated sheet pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the filling is golden and puffed all over.  Check the pie after forty minutes and if the crust is getting too dark wrap the edges in foil.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

Allow to cool for two hours before serving.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

© 2009 – 2010, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie”

1. My husband has dibs on making pecan pie for this year’s Thanksgiving feast, and he can never get enough chocolate chips. I’ll be passing this recipe along!

2. maria says:

Oh my this looks rich and SO good!

3. Nutmeg Nanny says:

I’m not a huge fan of pecan pie but man this looks great! Delicious :)

4. Natalie says:

Wow this pie looks delicious and so much better than the classic ol pecan pie. I must make it for Thanksgiving!!

5. ValleyWriter says:

OK -this now makes THREE pies I have to make for Thanksgiving! (There’s only 8 of us!) Looks delicious!!

6. Isn’t it great when you finally get that person to part with their secret recipe? I had to get married before my mom would give me her peach pie recipe.

7. Pecan pie is my ultimate favorite!!!! Then you go and add chocolate. OMG!!!! Bookmarked!!!

8. This looks very similar to a pie one of my friends makes for their annual post-Thanksgiving Pie Party. I’m going to be doing a piece on her, her baking and her party this year after it in fact.

9. Oh my goodness that looks amazing! My mom often makes a pumpkin pecan pie, which I like… but I like the chocolate in this one! Will be making this one for sure!

Oh, my! This looks good. I love, love love pecan pie. This sounds even better.

11. Noel Chapman says:

Pecan Pie is one of my favorites. Your pie looks delicious. I’ll have to give this one a try!

12. jd says:

Back home we called that pie a Kentucky Derby Pie. It is yummy!

13. This looks very yummy. I bet the chocolate and coffee flavors help cut through all the sugar. Thanks for sharing!

14. oh goodness, this looks delicious. pecan & chocolate chip are the only types of pie I really like and the combination of the two sounds incredible!

15. Divina says:

Lots of goodness and sweetness in that pie. I would definitely have a huge piece.

16. Cheah says:

What a lovely pie, full of chocolate and pecans. Must be yummy

17. See now THAT’S what a pecan pie has been missing – chocolate!!!

18. Such a naughty pie! Add some whipped double cream!

19. Chaya says:

This is definitely an improvement on pecan pie and considering, I think pecan pie, is the greatest, one can only imagine how incredible, adding the chocolate is.

20. Sook says:

As soon as I saw the pictures, I had to save the recipe. What a beautiful pie!

21. Veterkins says:

I am making this pie TODAY for the college Thanksgiving luncheon tomorrow. Can’t wait to see how it turns out! Thanks for sharing!

22. sherry lane says:

Made this for Thanksgiving, I had back surgery a month ago and needed something very easy to make. This was it, it was wonderful, if I had not gotten a small piece early to make sure it was ok I would not have gotten any! I will be making this again! :)

23. Noella Hewston says:

I will make foe Thanksgiving, or Christmas this year,never made a Pecan Pie before, this one I will make!

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 20, 2009

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Paola St-Georges. Paola St-Georges said: Always thought pecan pie needed chocolate! ;-) RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie – http://tr.im/Fne7 […]

2. Not Your Grandmother’s Pies - November 24, 2010

[…] Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie […]

3. Boudin and Green Pepper Quiche | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - December 22, 2010

[…] cheddar cheese round out the flavors and it is baked in my favorite butter and lard pastry crust (a photo tutorial on making it is here).  Serve this with some strong coffee, and some fresh fruit, and you will have a crowd pleasing […]

4. Spiced Maple Pecan Pie Recipe | Leite's Culinaria - January 6, 2012