Grilled Eggplant Dip

I joined a CSA in my area at the beginning of the Fall.

DSCF4104

So far the harvest has not been prolific.  In fact, in the two months I have been a member I have gotten one delivery.  Not awesome.  Buried in the delivery was a terrific surprise!  Lovely, shiny eggplants!

DSCF4088

I decided to grill it and then blitz it into dip.  I sort of threw this together, taking spice that I thought would work and adding them in a little at time until I had the right mix.  This is lovely on crackers, chips, and crostini.  It is also good directly off a spoon!

Grilled Eggplant Dip      Serves 8 to 12

1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 large, or 2 small eggplants
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup red onion, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, or sour cream

DSCF4092DSCF4097

Slice the eggplant into 1/2″ thick slices.  salt each side and lay out on a wire rack over paper towels to drain for 30 minutes.  After thirty minutes rinse the eggplant and lay back on the rack and allow to dry for another thirty minutes.

DSCF4093 DSCF4098  DSCF4099

While the eggplant drains begin caramelizing the onions.  Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet over medium low heat.  Add the chopped onion and cook slowly until the onion begins to soften and turn caramel in color, about twenty to twenty-five minutes.   Add the sliced garlic and cook until the garlic has darkened slightly and is very soft, another ten to fifteen minutes.  Once finished remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

DSCF4100 DSCF4101

Heat a grill pan, or your outdoor grill, and spray with non-stick spray.  Grill the eggplant for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until slightly charred and very soft.

Once the eggplant is grilled add it to the bowl of a food processor with the caramelized onion mixture and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and pulse until it is a rough paste.  Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until smooth.

DSCF4103

Serve with crackers, toast, chips, or crunchy veggies.

DSCF4113

Tags: , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Grilled Eggplant Dip”

1. ceecee says:

Looks great. I have never made this – but think I might soon! Thx for sharing.

2. Oh yum! I have half of an eggplant from last night’s eggplant parmesan and I was trying to figure out something to do with it.. this looks good I will give it a try tonight.

3. Nutmeg Nanny says:

It looks so rich and hearty…yum! I love the addition of cumin…mmmmm :)

4. I love eggplants. I can never get enough of them. I’ve got this one bookmarked for sure.

Eggplant goodness = yum yum!!

5. Just like baba ghanoush. So nice to smell grilled eggplants. They have a great flavor.

6. lululu says:

looks great! i cant never hv enough of this kind of dip!

7. zerrin says:

I love anything based on eggplants. And this dip sounds like perfect ‘meal’ for me. I won’t need any other dishes if I have this, spreading it on a slice of warm bread would be great!

8. Yum! I never know what to do with eggplant. I always feel like it’s mushy when I cook it but I bet I could make a great dip using your recipe.

9. Your eggplant dip looks tasty. I got *tons* of eggplant from our CSA this summer, and I got very sick of it… I will file this one for next year!

Aah, yum! Baba ganoush remix! I love this.

11. ValleyWriter says:

I’m amazed you can even join a CSA in the fall! Our last pick up was 10/26… now everything is just about dead :-( Boo hoo.
    I hope things pick up for you! This dip certainly is a great start!

12. Grilled eggplant is how I make my baba ganoush. The grilling makes the eggplant taste so much sweeter.

This recipe looks delicious!

13. Eliana says:

This looks like an awesome party dip. Can’t wait to try it for my next dinner party.

1. Tweets that mention Grilled Eggplant Dip | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 5, 2009

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans and Evil Shenanigans, Sugarstar Austin. Sugarstar Austin said: Will you just adopt me or something?! @bakingblog Fresh Shenanigans! Grilled Eggplant Dip – http://bit.ly/4m7F4M […]

2. uberVU - social comments - November 5, 2009

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Grilled Eggplant Dip – http://bit.ly/4m7F4M