Slow-Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Honey Garlic Glaze

Braising is one of my favorite ways to prepare tough cuts of meat.

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

This slow method of cooking breaks down the connective tissues and fat making otherwise tough cuts of meat tender, juicy, and very flavorful.  I almost feel bad for people who have no idea how wonderful cheap cuts can be.  Of the cheap cuts short ribs have quickly become my favorite.   They have so much beef flavor, they are tender and buttery if prepared properly, and they are always a crowd pleaser.  These short ribs make an excellent alternative to turkey at Thanksgiving, brisket on July 4th, and ham at Christmas.

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

This recipe is adapted from one by Roy Yamaguchi of Top Chef Masters and Roy’s restaurants fame.  The lemongrass, galanger (a relative of ginger, which you can substitute), and garlic add a subtle flavor that work to cut some of the richness of the meat.  I had something similar to this in one of his restaurants a few years back and I fell instantly in love.

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

Cooking the ribs in the slow cooker makes the process almost fool-proof!  I also like that I have time to make the other sides while I do nothing more than smell the short ribs as they braise. This also makes this dish weeknight friendly.  Just sear off the ribs the night before, chop the veggies, and the next morning just dump it all in the slow cooker and … poof!  Instant awesome main dish.   Hands off is the way to go here.

Slow-Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Honey Garlic Glaze   Serves 4-6
Adapted from Roy Yamaguchi

For the short ribs:
2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
Salt and pepper
2 ounces canola oil
Beef stock, enough to fully cover the short ribs (about 32 ounces)
6 cloves garlic, sliced thick
1 large onion, sliced into 1 inch rings
1 stalk celery, sliced thick
2 carrots, sliced thick
2 bay leaves
1 stalk lemongrass, cut in half and brused
1 inch piece of peeled ginger

Honey Garlic Glaze:
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1/4 cup sliced green onions, both white and green

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

Allow the ribs to come to room temperature for thirty minutes.  Season all sides of the ribs well with salt and pepper.

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

Heat one ounce of the canola oil in a medium skillet over high heat.  Working in two batches, brown the ribs well on all sidesl, about two minutes per side.  Once the first batch is browned drain the fat and add the second ounce of oil and brown the remaining ribs.

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

In your slow cooker make a bed with the garlic,  onions, carrots, celery, lemon grass,bay leaf,  and galangal.  Place the browned ribs on top and add enough beef stock to just cover.

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

Cook on low for eight hours, or on high for four.  The meat will be very tender and you may lose a few bones.   (That is a good thing.)  Allow the ribs to cool in the slow cooker while you prepare the glaze.

Slow Cooker Braised Short RibsSlow Cooker Braised Short RibsSlow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

In a bowl mix the ingredients for the glaze.  Remove the ribs from the slow cooker and, while still warm, pour the glaze over the ribs making sure they are well coated.  Allow the ribs to sit for at least thirty minutes, or store in the refrigerator overnight.

While the ribs rest heat your grill, or a skillet, to medium high heat.  Grill, or sear, the ribs for about one minute per side, or until the glaze sets and the ribs are brown and crusty.

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

Serve with mashed potatoes, polenta, or pasta.  Or, eat them all alone.

Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs

Rejoice!

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Slow-Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Honey Garlic Glaze”

1. lululu says:

as much as i love the ribs, i also adore the sauce and the green onion “side dish”!!!!!
    i could hv tons to go with!

2. ValleyWriter says:

Rejoice is right! These look AWESOME!

3. s. stockwell says:

Looks wonderful! slow cooking is something we always forget and it’s a big helper right now when everything is so busy…good one! best from Jefferson’s Table

s. stockwell – Anything that does not have to go in the oven at Thanksgiving and Christmas is an automatic win for me. (I have the smallest oven in Texas)

ValleyWriter – Thank!

lululu – It is all good, anyway you want to eat it!

5. Yum, is it time to eat yet? Actually, these really look great! Thanks so much!

6. Need to get me some ribs ASAP. Never thought of making them in the slow cooker… YUMMMMO!

7. Nutmeg Nanny says:

These look amazing! I love that they are made in the slow cooker…awesome :)

8. Oh my, this is well worth the wait. I could eat off the screen.

9. Kristen says:

I love honey and garlic together, yum!

You know, I put “slow cooker” on the bottom of my items to get list for my new apartment. But now that winter is starting to roar its head, I am remembering all of the wonderful recipes it is possible to create in a slow cooker. I think your recipe just sealed the deal and I will be getting a new one soon. Thanks!

10. Sook says:

This looks so delicious! It looks a lot like Korean braised ribs that I used to have growing up. Yummy!

11. We grilled short ribs this weekend. They are my husband’s favorite. I can’t wait to try these! They look delicious!

12. Caitlin says:

Okay I may have submitted or deleted my comment 0:)

To restate-this looks amazing! I am on the hunt for a good short ribs recipe after eating a grilled cheese of braised short ribs, fontina and aged cheddar last night!

13. Stacy says:

I need to try this! I have never braised ribs before!

14. I have been meaning to use my slow cooker for a long time. And now I have found the perfect recipe! The ribs look & sound simply amazing!

15. ana says:

Has anyone actually tried this recipe?

16. cookeatlove says:

This looks amazing. I am definitely going to try it.

17. Terri says:

I am in the middle of this recipe & the sauce is very mustardy smelling! What should I do with the braising liquid?..

18. lol says:

These were delish!!!! Although I would consider the glaze a honey-mustard glaze and not a honey-garlic glaze. I will make them again and again.

19. bruce says:

reading through all these comments , there is one question that wasnt brought up and answered. and that question is…. just exactly what do you do with the bed of veggies and beef broth thats still in the crockpot? do you thicken it and make a gravy for the mashed potatoes, or do you drain the broth, and use the remaining vegetables as a side dish to go along with the mashed potatoes and meat?

20. Jeanne says:

I still can’t just print your recipes. I get the recipe with a lot of pictures and text included. The recipes look great but if I can’t print them, they are useless to me. How do I just print the recipe, and not have to print out 5 pages of photos?

If you look at the top of the post there is a print icon that takes you to a print friendly recipe. Thanks.

22. Chara says:

Great information. Lucky me I recently found your sie by accident (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book marked it for later!

1. Tweets that mention Slow-Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Honey Garlic Glaze | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 18, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans: Slow-Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Honey Garlic Glaze: http://bit.ly/4jJF6P (Great, easy alternative to Turkey!!) [...]

2. Slow-Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Honey Garlic Glaze - A Byte of Life - September 16, 2013

[...] that was said to be biased on the Roy’s recipe so I gave it a try! (Original recipe found here) I didn’t have all the ingredients so I altered a [...]