Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Fri, Dec 4, 2009

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

I love to tweak recipes. Sometimes they are big tweaks, other times it is a small change with a HUGE impact. This is one of those recipes.

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

In The Joy of Cooking there is a recipe for perfectly lovely Peanut Butter Cookies. They are traditional, with the crosshatch design on the top, in a way that screams, ‘homemade’. They are soft, peanut buttery, and really very good. In our house Christmas is not Christmas without a plate of peanut butter cookies. My family and I love them.

Funny story, my beagle, who loves peanut butter, one Christmas morning pulled a whole plate of them off my buffet table and onto the floor where snuffled them up before I could so much as say, ‘No!’ Knowing all this you may wonder, why tweak them?

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Reese’s makes peanut butter chips. They are little nuggets of Reese’s peanut butter goodness that are perfect for adding to all sorts of baked goods. One day, while shopping, I grabbed a bag intending to put them in some brownies when the thought struck me, “I could add this to peanut butter cookies!” It is a simple addition that makes a big difference. Now the cookies have not only the robust peanut butter flavor, they have nuggets of slightly melting peanut butter chips!

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Really, if you like peanut butter cookies you need to try this!

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies   Yield 3 dozen
Adapted from The Joy of Cooking, 1997 edition

1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (chunky also works)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 bag Reese’s peanut butter chips

Heat your oven to 350 F and prepare to sheet pans with parchment.

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

In a mixer with the paddle attachment cream the oil, butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.

In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add to the peanut butter mixture and mix on low speed until most of the flour is incorporated.

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Add the peanut butter chips and mix until well distributed.  (You may want to do this step by hand.)

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Scoop onto the prepared baking sheet by the rounded tablespoon about two inches apart.  Use a fork to flatten the cookie by pressing a criss-cross pattern on the top of the cookie.

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.  Cool on the pan for three minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Tags: , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies”

1. Elle says:

Why must you tease me when I’m so hungry? Why??? These look so peanut buttery good!

2. goodieswassa says:

Your pictures look great!! I love cookies and Resse’s — Thank you for good recipe :)

3. Viviane says:

Nice looking cookies.
    I voted for your recipes on the foodie Views :)

4. Simply Life says:

YUM! These look SOOOO good!

5. Drick says:

adding this to my cookie list – thanks…sounds fantastic…

6. These look absolutely amazing! I can see why your dog ate a whole batch!

7. maria says:

I love playing around with different recipes and chips! Love the double PB here!

8. I love my Joy of Cooking book. I turn to that time and time again. Will have to try these.

9. Mouth.watering.Must.have.

10. Cookie-licious!!! Another one of my faves. I’ve got my glass of milk ready. Pass me some cookies, please.

11. Consider entering these luscious cookies in the Virtual Cookie Crawl. For more info contact me.
    They look wonderful, now where did I put that glass of milk?

12. MaryMoh says:

lovely cookies….my favourite. Great with a cup of hot tea. I have to try this soon. They look so good

13. Amanda says:

Those look absolutely wonderful! I love peanut butter cookies and agree they are a staple on my Christmas treat list ;)

14. Alina says:

Aww! aww! I’ve just had some home-made cookies and I thought I was full, but now I see I could have more…if only I had these Peanut Butter Chip Cookies!! Thank you for the recipe!

15. Is it possible to place an order? :)

16. Val says:

Being a peanut butter cookie addict I also warm the cookie for a couple of seconds in the microwave and top with a little peanut butter!!! Heaven!!!

17. Karly says:

Peanut butter cookies are so addicting! Love them!

18. These look absolutely fabulous! I love everything and anything peanut butter, so amping up peanut butter cookies with peanut butter chips sounds like pure genius! Great pictures.

19. Gina says:

I thought I was a rare peanut butter cookie fiend but I’m glad to see I’m not alone. By the way, thanks to Val for the tip of warming the cookie and spreading a little peanut butter on top!

20. What a good call to add the peanut butter chips to the cookies. These remind me of the cookies that we used to make with my great grandmother when I was a kid. I’ll have to try adding some peanut butter chips to her recipe!

21. AAARG oh my god stop! These look way too good and I don’t have the required ingredients in my pantry to make them! Your photos look fantastic here too, great lighting.

22. Carrie says:

great idea adding the peanut butter chips!

23. Rosemary says:

I made these for my granddaughter. She didn’t care for the chips in the cookies but her mom sure loved ‘em! I didn’t have unsalted butter so I used half salted light butter and half Crisco. Still turned out looking like the pictures.

24. Jennifer says:

Your pictures look great. I love peanut butter. If my hubs weren’t alergic to nuts, I’d totally add these cookies to my “have to make” list.

25. Kim says:

Yum-O!!!! I used 1 cup of Whole Wheat Pastry Flour & Wholesome Sweetner brand organic dark brown sugar.

26. Gennifer Millington says:

There are three eggs in the picture and two eggs in the recipe?

27. Bobbi says:

Tried these wrapped around and Oreo cookie and it was awesome!

28. Danica says:

Actually there are several eggs in the picture of the batter in the mixer…this is very confusing. I’ve just copied down the instructions and will be testing these out.

Danica – That is because the photos are of a double batch.

30. Sheri says:

Best peanut butter cookie recipe ever. I made them a couple of weeks ago for my husband. They went fast :) I am making them again for some folks at work as a thank you. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

31. Amy J. says:

Thanks for the question and explanation about the eggs, I was wondering, too! I’m totally making these tomorrow.

32. Margaret says:

Just got done making these & Oh MY GOD~! The best cookies I’ve made w/peanut butter chips…. Thank you, made me look good…

33. Cindy says:

You have the most terrific recipes!!! You know how to tweak them just right! Fantastic Cook,You Are!!!!!!

34. piratemama says:

2013

I made these cookies yesterday, they came out looking exactly as they do in the published pics…HOWEVER…
    they were VERY dry and had more of a cake than cookie texture. My family didn’t care for them :(

35. Laurie says:

I just baked these…so yummy!!

1. Tweets that mention Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - December 4, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans and Laura Levy, Carol Morris. Carol Morris said: NOM RT @bakingblog: Super Fresh Shenanigans! Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies …. I'm messing with tradition! http://bit.ly/5qB5qh [...]

2. uberVU - social comments - December 4, 2009

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Super Fresh Shenanigans! Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies …. I’m messing with tradition! http://bit.ly/5qB5qh

3. Twitted by leontinker - December 4, 2009