Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes

Mon, Jan 11, 2010

Baking, Featured Articles, Pastry, Recipes

The combination of chocolate and banana is highly underrated.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

Aside from some frozen bananas dipped in chocolate, and chocolate chip banana bread, the combination is largely overlooked.  Well, break out your bananas because we are going to make something that will make chocolate lovers rejoice.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

The crepes are chocolate but they do not have any sugar in them.  Before you say I am mad consider that the crepes are going to be filled with bananas which are naturally very sweet.  Along with bananas there is a rich, bitter-sweet, chocolate mascarpone filling, and once plated the crepes are dusted with powdered sugar.  With all that sweetness the crepes themselves needed to be bitter to provide a nice contrast in flavor.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

If you love chocolate and bananas then you need to make this recipe.

Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes  Yield 12 crepes

1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 tablespoon coffee liquor
Pinch of salt
3-4 large bananas, sliced into 1/8″ disks

Additional powdered sugar for dusting

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

Combine the cocoa, eggs, vanilla, and coffee liquor in a large bowl until well combined. Whisk in the flour and butter and mix until there are no lumps.  Set aside.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

In a heavy sauce pan scald the milk (bring to a low simmer before removing from the heat).  Add 1/4 of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, to temper, then combine the remaining milk.

Chill the batter for 30 minutes.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

In a medium bowl combine the mascarpone, cream, powdered sugar, cocoa, vanilla, liquor, and salt and mix until smooth and well combined.   Set aside.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

After the batter has chilled, place an 8″ non-stick omelet, saute, or crepe pan over medium heat.  Spray it lightly with non-stick cooking spray.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

Pour 1 1/2 ounces (about 1/4 cup) of batter into the center of the hot pan an swirl the pan until the batter coats the pan evenly.  Cook until the edges release from the pan and the underside of the crepe slides easily in the pan, about one minute.  Flip the crepe, or turn with  a rubber spatula, and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute on the second side.

Remove to a plate and stack the cooked crepes between layers of parchment or wax paper.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

To assemble spread a thin layer of the mascarpone mixture on the center of the crepe.  Lay a line of bananas down the center then roll into a tube.  Alternately, you can spread the mascarpone over 1/4 of the crepe, lay a few bananas on top then fold the crepe in half, and then in half again.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar.

Chocolate Mascarpone and Banana Crepes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

72 Responses to “Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes”

I love how deep and dark the chocolate crepes are. Nice job on this recipe!

2. maggie says:

These look so delicious! Love that the crepe is unsweetened.

3. TeenieCakes says:

OMG! What a sinful combination…chocolate and bananas in a crepe! Great recipe…thx for sharing this.

4. RhodeyGirl says:

congrats on the Foodbuzz news! Can’t wait to meet you in February!

5. Those look amazing, and I love the chocolately color + flavor in the crepes – will be trying this soon!

6. Ohmigosh this sounds AMAZING!!!! I LOVE these flavors together!

7. Once again, you have completely wow-ed me. I love bananas and chocolate and would love to make these! YUM!

8. Banana & Chocolate are such a good combination. and with the sweetness of the mascarpone… sounds like a winning combo.

9. wow….chooclatey goodness!

10. Jessie says:

so when can I come over to have some of this chocolatey goodness? :-p

11. sweetlife says:

These look super yummy, great sunday treat!!

12. Ooooohhhhhh these look just fantastic – cannot wait to make them!

Looking forward to meeting you in NY for the Foodbuzz Electrolux event next month!

13. Eliana says:

Chocolate and banana are a match made in flavor heaven :)

Oh my…this is calling my name. Yum.

15. Chocolate crepes?!?! You do know you’re talking to a chocoholic right over here right? Pass some over here please.

16. Be still my heart! I love anything and everything chocolate and bananas. Can’t wait to make this. I like that the chocolate crepe itself isn’t sweet.. but the rest makes up for it. Cool!! :-)

17. Yum! These look amazing! Looking forward to meeting you (finally) in NYC at the Electrolux event!!

18. lk says:

omg these are positively sinful!

19. Mags says:

How unique and positively gorgeous. I have bookmarked these and cannot wait to make!

20. Cristie says:

Wow. This would really take care of a chocolate fix in a quick hurry. Beautiful pictures and wonderful instruction.

21. Christi says:

ok, where to start. i’m new here and every single one of your recipes looks divine.

22. Congrats on being chosen for the Foodbuzz trip to NY! How exciting that you get to meet Kelly Ripa! Have a wonderful time and do tell us all about it when you return :)

23. Oh, I absolutely love bananas and chocolate together – and they are not used together as much as they should Your crepes are a wonderful idea – and look delicious!

24. Divina says:

That’s a really tempting crepe. I think the holidays is not yet over.

25. Kristen says:

This looks incredible! I like that you kept the crepes bitter and not overly sweet, I am sure it is a good contrast.

26. Those look yummy. I haven’t had crepes in a very long time.

27. Jen says:

I cannot wait to try this recipe!

28. Claudia says:

Delicious in all ways. You’re right – who needs a sweetened crepe with all that sweet goodness?

29. Tim says:

Holy cannoli’s those look good!

30. Maribel says:

All I have to say is….oh my!

31. Aletheia says:

After wiping the drool off of my keyboard, I am now typing to write that this crepe makes me go: OH BABY.

32. Sandra says:

Look delicious!

33. Solange says:

Wow!! Looks like the perfect dessert! A very creative way of combining those ingredients! And the colour of your crepes is so beautiful.

34. Angela says:

These look great, and a little sinful (which
    is not a bad thing!)

35. Jen says:

Do you use cookbooks when you make these recipes or do you just sort of add and taste as you go? I’m curious what cookbooks you follow and where you keep them. I know so many people who have hundreds in their house. Just read about a site that now lets you put them all onto one site for organization purposes: http://stephanieklein.com/2010/01/what-your-cookbooks-say-about-you.html

Jen – Most of my recipes are created by me using nothing more than my culinary know-how. If a recipe is adapted from a cookbook or other source I make sure to note it in the post, along with a link to the original if appropriate.

37. VickyC says:

Oh my god, these crepes look SO GOOD!!! I want to eat my screen!! lol
    and your pictures are beautiful!
    I will definitely have to try to make these!!! :)

38. NurseT says:

I think these would be wonderful with raspberries and a raspberry drizzle

39. dawn says:

oh my stars. are you serious? this is just too good to be true.

40. these look simply amazing – chocolate and banana is such a wonderful combination. I made an Italian dinner for Christmas eve and have a couple of leftover tubs of mascarpone – this looks like a perfect use for it!

41. Shannon says:

Simply wonderful! The pics are great too…
    Nice work!

42. Carsten says:

Great work and nice pics! I really feel hungry now!

Cheers,
    Carsten
    tasteandshare.comfood social network * wine social network

43. Rachel says:

Wow, you took some great pictures. Looks amazing (and I knew that fruit and chocolate was a great pairing, but chocolate crepes and bananas sounds great!).

44. Jeff says:

Looks great and very tempting!

45. Michaela says:

yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!

46. kimcav says:

YUM!!! They look fantastic.

47. A-Man says:

Nice idea! These crepes look absolutely yummy.

48. Delon says:

Oh my… these look incredible. Any idea what people who can’t eat egg might use as an alternative?

1. uberVU - social comments - January 11, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2010/01/banana-and-chocolate-mascarpone-crepes/

2. Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes – Evil Shenanigans | Happy Happy Joy Joy - January 11, 2010

[...] Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes – Evil Shenanigans Hello there! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed for great food updates. Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes | Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. [...]

3. Tweets that mention Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 14, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Janet Rudolph, Janet Rudolph, foodiePrints, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans and others. Evil Shenanigans said: Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes: Combination of chocolate & banana is highly underrated. http://bit.ly/8jhtRN [...]

4. LOOK-SEE! « Imagine. - January 17, 2010

[...] who LOVE chocolate). Just imagine this with sliced strawberries in the middle. OMG. Heart Attack! And there is a recipe, click here! « Are You a Prisoner [...]

5. Food, Glorious Food » Blog Archive » Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes - January 17, 2010

[...] Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes Posted in chocolate, pancakes, sweet on 01/17/2010 12:56 pm by Foodie From: EvilShenanigans [...]

6. Chocolaty Weekend Links : Chocolate Bytes - All About Chocolate – Delicious Chocolate Recipes - January 17, 2010

[...] Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes at Evil [...]

7. Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes « Lauren Aurigemma - January 21, 2010

[...] To get the full recipe, visit this blog. [...]

8. Banana And Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes « Xora's Blog - February 8, 2010

[...] comes across an interesting recipe and simply must share it. This recipe was written by Kelly at evilshenanigans.com.  I am simply transcribing it. [...]

9. Mainan baru… « Life is good - March 29, 2010

[...] I stumbled upon this cool video , this humor (no offense) , and the-looks-so-delicious crepes recipe « [...]

10. stumble or seek? | this and that + rain - June 10, 2010

[...] seeing again, “thumbs-down.”  But really, who doesn’t want to know how to make banana and chocolate mascarpone crepes or hear Petr Spatina, the glass [...]

11. Project Food Blog – Defining Who I Am? | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - September 14, 2010

[...] and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate ButtercreamStove-top Macaroni and CheeseBanana and Chocolate Mascarpone CrepesCranberry Chipotle Glazed [...]

12. Chocolate-Coconut Crepes Recipe | Leite's Culinaria - August 7, 2013