Mushroom Risotto

When the weather turns cold and the wind begins to howl, nothing warms me up faster than a bowl of creamy risotto.

Mushroom Risotto

Shockingly, I have never had Risotto until last year!  To be honest with you, it was always the last thing I considered ordering because I love pasta so much, but one night at a local Italian place I decided to forgo my usual and try their Mushroom Risotto.  It changed my world.  From that moment on I knew risotto would be a part of my cooking life.  I just had to learn how to make it.

Mushroom Risotto

This recipe is a recreation of the dish that won my heart over a year ago because, sadly, the restaurant where risotto and I first met is no more.  The secret to making this risotto so rich is a little bit of Boursin cheese added just at the end of cooking.  It does not make the risotto super cheesy, there is not enough for that, but it rounds out the flavor and adds a little zip to the dish.  I used a combination of button and porcini mushrooms, but you can use whatever mushrooms you prefer.   Now that I am thinking about it, my recipe is maybe even a little better than the original.

Mushroom Risotto    Serves 6-8

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup finely diced onion
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced button mushroom caps
1/2 ounce dry porcini mushrooms re-hydrated in 1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
4 ounces of Boursin, or other similar, cheese
1/4 cup fresh grated parmasean, plus more for serving

In a large pot over medium heat add the stock and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid.

Mushroom Risotto

In a heavy bottom pot over medium heat melt the butter with the olive oil.  Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about three minutes.

Mushroom Risotto

Add the bay leaf, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cook for thirty seconds, or until fragrant.

Mushroom Risotto Mushroom Risotto

Drain the porcini mushrooms and roughly chop.  Add them and the button mushrooms to the pot and cook until soft, about five minutes then add the garlic.  Cook for one minute.

Mushroom Risotto Mushroom Risotto

Add the rice to the pot and stir until thoroughly coated.  Add the wine and cook until the wine is absorbed.

Begin adding the stock, about 1/2 cup at a time.  Cook until the first addition is almost completely absorbed before adding the next, about 25 minutes.   When you add your last addition of stock cook until the risotto just begins to thicken then reduce the heat to low and add the boursin and parmasean cheeses.  Stir until thoroughly melted and combined.

Mushroom Risotto

Serve with an additional dusting of parmesan cheese.

Mushroom Risotto

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Mushroom Risotto”

1. Definitely putting mushrooms in my risotto next time!!!

2. Mushroom risotto is one of my favourite!

3. I love mushroom risotto. Okay…pretty much any risotto.

4. amy says:

i am craving risotto now! :P

5. I love mushrooms so I’m going to love this risotto. :) Will have to try making this soon.

6. I make a mushroom risotto similar to this, but I like your addition of Boursin cheese and red pepper flakes!

7. appassionata says:

Tasty, very tasty. We like mushroom in Russia very much)))

8. This must be very tasty – perfect for a cold rainy evening….

9. Stephanie says:

I am adding Boursin cheese to my risotto next time – great idea! I bet it tastes amazing.

10. Mmmmm…yummy creamy risotto!!! fantastic. I was about to buy som arborio rice the other day. I don’t know why I put the box back on the shelf. I guess I’ll have to get it now.

11. Just added this to my must try list. Wow! If You keep it up I will have a different meal for every day of the year.

12. Simply Life says:

Oh this sounds and looks fantastic!

13. Drick says:

yep, this looks really good right now, it’s way too cold for us down here … great recipe too, a keeper for sure…

14. lk says:

omg risotto is one of our favorites! we just had some this week. Mushrooms are always a great choice in it (I love porcini) but the possibilities are endless…

15. sweetlife says:

I love this… great pic

sweetlife

16. Eliana says:

Risotto is just the dish to have on a cold winter’s day. So creamy and delicious.

17. Kathy Gori says:

i just happen to have a big bag of dried mushrooms that a friend brought me from Italy! Hmmm, this looks like a great way to use them

18. Viviane says:

Oddly enough the first risotto I tried was a mushroom one. I love your version though and the Boursin addition sounds such a good idea. I love this cheese!

19. Looks wonderful. Can’t wait to give this recipe a try. We love risotto!

20. Nice addition of bousin! Looks delicious.

21. Kristen says:

While I enjoy all types of risotto, I think mushroom is my favorite. So hearty and satisfying. The addition of Boursin cheese sounds great!

22. kasha says:

My husband will love a new dish that includes mushrooms.Thanks for sharing! Stop on by http://www.grubandstuff.blogspot.com for a chance to win my favorite seasoning.
    Kasha

23. I make a portabella mushroom risotto. Your mushroom risotto looks wonderful and delicious. I hope you enjoyed it. It’s such a perfect winter dish. But also good with summer vegetables too.

Cheers!

24. Unbelievable, I just pulled the box of arborio rice out from the back of the pantry this morning to TELL myself “it’s time for risotto” and then stumble on this great recipe. Lovely post, time to eat!

1. Tweets that mention Mushroom Risotto | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 8, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Oldways. Oldways said: Fabulous! RT @bakingblog Fresh Shenanigans! Mushroom Risotto! http://bit.ly/7gEslU […]