Baked Potato Salad

Last year I visited my family in Houston and while I was there I had my first taste of Baked Potato Dip.

Baked Potato Salad

It is a concoction of sour cream, mayonnaise, bacon bits, green onions, and cheddar cheese which is served with salty potato chips.   Overall the dip is pretty tasty and I have made something similar at home, with fresh cooked bacon in place of the bits, and everyone who has tasted it enjoyed it.  Now, let’s fast forward to the present.  My husband and I decided to smoke a pork shoulder and, for me anyway, nothing goes better with smoked meats than potato salad.

Baked Potato Salad

As I was peeling the potatoes inspiration struck.  Why not use the baked potato dip in a potato salad?  Why not indeed.  So,  I cooked some bacon, chopped some chives (which I used in place of the green onions because they have a milder flavor and a more vibrant green color), and shredded some extra sharp cheddar cheese.  You can serve this potato salad slightly warm, but I prefer it chilled so the flavors can develop.  If you like bacon, cheese, or baked potatoes you really must try this!

Baked Potato Salad      Serves 6-8

4 large russet potatoes
1/2 cup mayonnaise (Dukes is preferred)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
1/4 cup chopped chives, divided
8 strips thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Baked Potato Salad Baked Potato Salad

In a medium bowl whisk together the mayonnaise and sour cream until well mixed.  Add 3/4 of the chopped chives, salt, and pepper.  Whisk to mix.

Baked Potato Salad

Fold in the cheese and bacon.  Cover and chill for thirty minutes.

Baked Potato Salad

Peel and cube the potatoes into 1/2″ pieces.  Cook the potatoes in salted water until fork tender.  Drain and cool slightly.

Baked Potato Salad

Fold the cooked potatoes into the chilled dressing.

Baked Potato Salad

Serve warm or chilled.  Garnish with the remaining chives.

Baked Potato Salad

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Baked Potato Salad”

1. can you come cook for me? I can’t pay you with money, but i’d pay you with bottomless margaritas, puppy kisses, and striking views of the rocky mountains…just sayin’ :)

2. Jamie says:

This looks SO good and it could really be a whole complete meal in itself, couldn’t it? Delicious!

3. The bacon won me over. This looks fabulous!

4. This looks sooo good!

5. Oh! Yum. Love the ingredients. Sounds great as a side or by itself as a meal. Very nice presentation!

I love the combination of mayonnaise and sour cream — I’m not a huge fan of mayo and the only dish I will actually eat it on is potato salad. This looks great!

7. Shree says:

Looks soooo good! you’re right, there’s just something so comforting about potato salad along with cold smoked meats. They go together so well :)

I am sure this will be a summer picnic hit!

9. I’ve been making a similar potato salad for years but without the cheese…almost embarrassed to admit I never put the two together that the ingredients are so similar to a baked potato with toppings. No wonder we love it…and will have to try it with cheese next time; thanks for the inspiration!

10. C and C Dish says:

Looks wonderfully delicious!

11. This yells summer to me. I’m so making a big batch of this all for me. Ok, I’ll share some. hahaha…

12. Emily says:

Looks absolutely delicious!

13. Chef Dennis says:

OMG…that looks sinfully good….cheese…bacon…sour cream…and potatoes…a match made in heaven

14. looks delicious! love the bacon!

15. lululu says:

i cant never resist potato salad!
    this one sounds awesome. i simply love the combination of mayo and sour cream.

16. I love spicing it up. And this looks good.

17. Cherine says:

I love the ingredients of this beautiful potato salad!!! Looks sooo good!

18. Isabelle says:

You had me at “bacon”. :)
    Looks like an interesting twist on the classic potato salad, and really, how can you go wrong with that combo of ingredients? I’m totally filing this one away for our next barbecue.

19. Skylar says:

This looks amazing! I’m going to use it to convince my wife that potato salad is great.

20. Marly says:

I’m vegan so I wouldn’t be able to follow this recipe exactly…but I definitely think this is veganizable. Uh, is that a word? Well, it is now. Thanks for the inspiration. Great pic!

It took me a few minutes to get over the dip to even start contemplating this dish…I need to try that dip…but this? I can imagine this being a real hit at a BBQ!

22. This looks lovely! I have had bad luck with potato salads lately, so I will have to give yours a try next time!

23. Brad says:

Yum, what a great recipe. I like how you always jazz up recipes with new ideas. Thanks!

24. Rex says:

This is a great idea. One of the ah-ha moments. The perfect salad for a summer steak bbq. Thanks for the recipe and idea.

25. Brie says:

potato salad is so creamy and a great way to eat potatoes in a refreshing, cold way. this recipe looks great!

26. Kyle Wright says:

OH MY! And here I thought my Corn Dip was the ultimate in anti-diet-must-have-bbq-sides. Clearly I was wrong… this looks delightful!

Great work! Making this this weekend.

27. Holy Bacon Madness!!! This will be happening in my kitchen as soon as I fetch some sour cream from the store! That & the Bacon Jam!! You are a girl after my own heart!
    Cheers,
    H

28. Barbara says:

I have made this salad for 35 years minus the cheese.It is so good,I can not believe I never thought of cheese.I have done it with diced chicken too and it is a meal in a dish.

29. paytonsgrandma says:

I do something very simlar but baked it in the over until bubbly. Only difference is I don’t use sour cream but all other ingrediants are the same.

30. ann says:

looks soooo good. can’t wait to try it.

31. Tara says:

I would love to know where you got that bowl. I am in love with it.

Tara – Actually, I got the bowl at Wal-Mart! It was a steal at less than $4!

33. Beth says:

My sister and I made this last night. We added some extra sour cream and mayo, but felt it was necessary as our taters were extra extra large. I also added another piece of bacon and a bit more chives. The whole thing was so delicious. Too bad most of my family members don’t enjoy potato salad or I would probably make this a lot more often. Wonderful!!

34. John says:

Umm.. what is baked? Shouldn’t it be boiled potato salad?

John – It is called ‘Baked Potato Salad’ because it has all the toppings and flavors of a baked potato. Thanks!

36. Teresa says:

We love this but call it Steakhouse potato salad all my kids and grandkids love it.

1. uberVU - social comments - April 28, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Baked Potato Salad – http://bit.ly/ahvZ94 (Yes, it has #Bacon)…

2. Friday Favorites – Episode 52 | my kitchen addiction - April 30, 2010

[...] out well? It’s true. Now that picnic season is on its way, I think I will be making this Baked Potato Salad from Evil Shenanigans.  I’m sure it will be wonderful because Kelly’s good like [...]

3. Baked Potato Salad « Recipe Rhapsody - September 2, 2010