Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

I had the opportunity, thanks to Natalie at Natalie’s Killer Cuisine, to be a part of a Dallas Food Bloggers Pot-Luck Lunch.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

She has a write up of the event on her blog, which you can check out here, and aside from a whole lot of good food, there was a whole lot of fantastic company.  We discussed food, blogging, photography, and life in general.  It was wonderful to connect with other local bloggers and learn about their food point of view.  I hope we can do it again soon!

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

So, when deciding what to make I decided I wanted something that was fresh, flavorful, and pretty.  This cake fits that bill.  It is a bit of a process to get this cake made, but it is easily made in one day.  It tastes best if allowed to chill overnight in the fridge so the raspberry curd and chocolate ganache can soak into the cake.  Just let the cake warm up for a couple of hours before serving at room temperature.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Chocolate and raspberry are a delightful combination because the tartness of the berries pairs so well with rich dark chocolate.  Rather than coat the cake with more dark chocolate I opted for a white chocolate buttercream.  The creamy vanilla notes blended well with the buttery cake.  Overall this cake is worth the time it takes to assemble it.  With its six layers and alternating fillings, it is perhaps even prettier when sliced!

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream   Serves 14

For the cake:

4 egg yolks
8 tablespoons unsalted butter

For the chocolate ganache:
8 ounces dark chocolate (at least 65%) chopped
4 ounces heavy cream
1 vanilla bean

For the white chocolate buttercream:
4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5-6 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tablespoons heavy cream, as needed

Shaved chocolate and fresh raspberries for decorating, if desired

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray two 8″ cake pans with non-stick spray.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate ButtercreamRaspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until well mixed and creamy.  Add the eggs and whisk until well combined.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda until well mixed.   In a large measuring cup mix the buttermilk and vanilla.

Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk into the butter, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.

Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center springs back when pressed and the cake comes away from the sides of the pan.  Cool for ten minutes in the pans before turning out onto racks to cool completely.  Wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.

While the cake is baking prepare the ganache and raspberry curd.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

For the ganache pour the cream into a heavy pot.  Open the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds.  Add the seeds and the bean to the cream.

Heat the cream, over medium high heat, until it begins to simmer.  Turn off the heat and add the chopped chocolate.  Allow to stand three minutes before whisking to combine.  Let stand at room temperature until completely cool.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

For the raspberry curd begin by pureeing the fresh raspberries in a blender until smooth.  Strain the mixture through a strainer.  Pour four ounces of the puree into a non-reactive pot with the sugar, lemon juice, and egg yolks.

Cook the mixture, over medium low heat, until it thickens and begins to boil.  Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the butter.  Strain the mixture then cover with plastic, making sure to press the film down on the curd to avoid a skin, and chill in the refrigerator until completely cool.

For the buttercream begin by melting the chopped white chocolate in the microwave in 15 seconds bursts, stirring well between intervals, until completely melted.  In the bowl of a mixer cream the butter and vanilla until smooth.

Add the white chocolate and mix until well combined. Add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until it reaches a spreading consistency.  If the frosting seems to dry add a little heavy cream, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until you reach a smooth consistency.  Cover with plastic until ready to use.

To assemble the cake:

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate ButtercreamRaspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate ButtercreamRaspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Tort the cake into three layers each.  Place a layer of cake on your board, or cake plate, and spread 1/3 of the chocolate ganache until it is 1/4″ from the edge of the cake.  Top with a layer of cake and spread about 1/4 cup raspberry curd until it is 1/4″ from the edge of the cake.  Repeat until you reach the last layer.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Carefully apply a thin crumb coat of the white chocolate buttercream and then chill the cake for at least one hour, or up to four hours, before applying the final coat of frosting.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Decorate as desired.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

105 Responses to “Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream”

1. 5 sticks of butter?! Sign. me. up.

Chocolate raspberry is one of my favorite dessert combinations (that’s what my wedding cake was!) and this cake is gorgeous too!

Droooooooooooool….I went home and gushed about this cake to my husband. It was so gorgeous. I’m both jealous and in awe. Definitely need to a)figure out a gluten-free version and b)take some cake decorating classes so I can hope to maybe torte a cake that well!

3. rachelle says:

Wow! So beautiful and so many luscious flavors in one. I wish I could make a cake pretty like that. I would make them more often.

4. i am now kicking myself for not living in Dallas anymore…2 years too late! what a fabulous recipe!

5. Wow, just WOW! Next time I’m going to try doing little squigglies on the sides of my cake like you did. So cute. White Choc buttercream sounds heavenly too!

Your cake is gorgeous! GORGEOUS!!

7. Skylar says:

That cake sounds wonderful, and it looks fantastic!

8. Sook says:

What a gorgeous cake!

9. Oh that cake looks so lovely!!!! Wonderful job, Kelly!! I’m sure it tasted great too. Those at the meet up were lucky to have this. :) Plus, it’s always fun to meet other bloggers.

10. Lovely! Are you sure you wouldn’t rather use some semi-delicious cream cheese frosting from a can?! (Just kidding)

11. Kelly, this case was SO delicious and obviously beautiful! I had such a great time visiting with you on Saturday and look forward to all the meet-ups we will have in the future!

12. C and C Dish says:

This cake looks just wonderful!

13. Chef Dennis says:

how I do love cake…and this one looks so very tasty!! chocoloate….white chocolate…mmmmmm

14. That is one stunning cake. The ingredients look delicious, too!

15. OMG. That looks absolutely AMAZING. I will have to make this one day! Hehe.

16. Paula says:

Now that cake is some evil shenanigans! It looks sinfully delish and really beautiful!!

17. That cake looks insanely delicious! You are so talented – it is gorgeous!

18. bunkycooks says:

What a totally decadent cake! I agree that it looks really pretty when sliced, but it is a very pretty cake before it was cut, too!

19. Kelly! I walked in the door with my take home slice of cake and my husband and two of his friends grabbed forks and were eating the cake before I could even set the plate down. They all had rave reviews and I have been instructed to make this cake pronto! It was so great to meet you and I can’t wait to get together again soon!

20. This looks delicious, and I love how you decorated the sides of the cake!

21. Megan says:

What a beautiful cake! It’s just stunning! The raspberry curd sounds delicious, and I doubt I even need to mention how much I want a slice of this right now!

Your cake board is adorable. Did you make it? Or where did you get it from?

22. Joy says:

Kelly, this cake was seriously SO AMAZING. I can’t stop thinking about it. I honestly wanted to lick the paper plate because I didn’t want to waste a single crumb but was afraid Eric might have judged me… Maybe I will make this cake for myself on my birthday, the only time of the year I can devour an entire cake to myself and not feel bad about it :) … riiiighhttt???

You’re awesome and so talented, please open a bakery ASAP i would be your #1 Customer :)

Asian market soon?

23. Cherine says:

This cake is a masterpiece!!

24. marye says:

It looks YUM!
    I didn’t get an invite. :( It’s because of the side of town I live on isn’t it? :::sniff:::

25. Such a fantastic buttercream cake!!

Love the photos and the outcome looks so delicious!

26. Tickled Red says:

Okay I am sold! I am going to have to try and make this for my anniversary.

27. Steph says:

I always love your progress pics. I”m still too imtimidated to make a cake by hand.

28. White chocolate in a frosting is one of the best ways to eat it. It’s so sweet and smooth.

29. Jodi says:

For some reason, cake pans is one utensil I don’t own, but I think I must invest, as this cake looks too good to ignore.

30. Looks amazing, I’ll have to try it.
    Suzanne

31. Kathy Gori says:

this is a must have cake in my book! like I must have it right now!! beautiful and amazing!

32. Memoria says:

Wow. What is up with all the layered cakes?! This is one is extremely beautiful. It makes my cake look like mud hahaha. I love the different layers and flavors. Wow. Great design as well. I wish I could decorate as well as you.

33. What a gorgeous cake! Give me anything with raspberries and I’m a happy person.
    Beautiful!

34. Brad says:

Yum, I could eat at least 2-3 pieces, looks so tasty.

35. This is so beautiful and looks like it tasted amazing. Thank you so much for sharing the lovely photos and the recipe. I will be saving this one in my “must try” files.

36. Joy says:

That looks really really good. I like the use of both dark and white chocolate. I have never made a raspberry curd. I have to try that one.

37. Lauryn says:

This cake looks off the charts amazing!! It is absolutely gorgeous! I have to make a cake for a bridal shower and I think I just found my inspiration!! :)

38. Jamie says:

If you just heard a crash that was me falling off my chair onto the floor! Stunning, just stunningly gorgeous and the flavors are perfect! Lucky, lucky cake-eaters! What a treat!

39. claudia says:

This couldn’t be prettier. It’s a work of art.

40. Kimberly says:

What a stunning cake! Bravo! I am definitely going to try this one day.

41. I was just looking for birthday cakes for my dads birthday that happens next week, I’m very much gonna try your recipe!

42. Tanantha says:

This looks amazing!!! Now I’m craving this…

43. Annie says:

This cake looks so delicious! I definitely have to make it for my Mom for Mother’s Day. I can’t wait to give it a try but more importantly can’t wait to eat it!

What size pans did you use?

44. Annie says:

Silly me. I now just realized I skipped over where you said 8 inch pans.

45. Annie says:

Sorry to post a reply again. I know you used 8″ pans but are those 8×3″ pans or 8×2″? Thanks so much!

Annie – 8″ x 3″ pans … and post as often as needed! :)

47. Cristina says:

Wow! That’s an absolutely beautiful cake and I bet it was so delicious! Gorgeous presentation.

48. What a perfect cake-so well executed!

Nisrine

49. Lori says:

This is a beautiful cake! So classic, so pretty. Love everything you did to this cake.

50. This looks amazing!! I can’t wait to try :)

1. Gluten-Free Brownie Bites and a Food Blogger Potluck « Tasty Eats At Home - April 26, 2010

[...] Killer Cuisine) and some baked crab cakes that looked amazing. Kelly posted the recipe at Evil Shenanigans. I want to figure out a gluten-free [...]

2. uberVU - social comments - April 26, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream – http://bit.ly/cwd4OZ

3. Dallas Food Blogger Event and Pink Martini « - May 5, 2010

[...] made this ASTONISHING multi-layered cake with chocolate ganache and white chocolate buttercream — yes I just now realized I left word “buttercream” out of the picture (sorry [...]

4. strawberry chocolate ganache cake with white chocolate buttercream frosting - September 7, 2010

[...] chose this cake (a strawberry curd, chocolate ganache cake with white chocolate buttercream icing. WHEW!) which if [...]

5. The Best of 2010! | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - December 31, 2010

[...] Mac and a Rotel Giveaway!Chocolate Chip Overload CookiesRaspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate ButtercreamCheddar and Chive BeignetsStove-top Macaroni and [...]

6. Happy Father’s Day! « Southern Girl Bakes - June 19, 2011

[...] Initially, he selected a carrot cake, much to my surprise. My dad has a history of choosing things like orange cake with orange cream cheese icing or Boston cream pie, rather than carrot cake or chocolate cake. Carrot cake seemed so… typical. He revealed he didn’t want to choose anything that would require me to do a lot of work. Um…. hello?? This is your daughter who loves baking and wouldn’t consider it work. It’s not like I get a lot of opportunities to make layer cakes. He quickly changed his mind to Evil Shenanigans’ Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream. [...]