Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

I had the opportunity, thanks to Natalie at Natalie’s Killer Cuisine, to be a part of a Dallas Food Bloggers Pot-Luck Lunch.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

She has a write up of the event on her blog, which you can check out here, and aside from a whole lot of good food, there was a whole lot of fantastic company.  We discussed food, blogging, photography, and life in general.  It was wonderful to connect with other local bloggers and learn about their food point of view.  I hope we can do it again soon!

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

So, when deciding what to make I decided I wanted something that was fresh, flavorful, and pretty.  This cake fits that bill.  It is a bit of a process to get this cake made, but it is easily made in one day.  It tastes best if allowed to chill overnight in the fridge so the raspberry curd and chocolate ganache can soak into the cake.  Just let the cake warm up for a couple of hours before serving at room temperature.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Chocolate and raspberry are a delightful combination because the tartness of the berries pairs so well with rich dark chocolate.  Rather than coat the cake with more dark chocolate I opted for a white chocolate buttercream.  The creamy vanilla notes blended well with the buttery cake.  Overall this cake is worth the time it takes to assemble it.  With its six layers and alternating fillings, it is perhaps even prettier when sliced!

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream   Serves 14

For the cake:

4 egg yolks
8 tablespoons unsalted butter

For the chocolate ganache:
8 ounces dark chocolate (at least 65%) chopped
4 ounces heavy cream
1 vanilla bean

For the white chocolate buttercream:
4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5-6 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tablespoons heavy cream, as needed

Shaved chocolate and fresh raspberries for decorating, if desired

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray two 8″ cake pans with non-stick spray.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate ButtercreamRaspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until well mixed and creamy.  Add the eggs and whisk until well combined.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda until well mixed.   In a large measuring cup mix the buttermilk and vanilla.

Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk into the butter, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.

Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center springs back when pressed and the cake comes away from the sides of the pan.  Cool for ten minutes in the pans before turning out onto racks to cool completely.  Wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.

While the cake is baking prepare the ganache and raspberry curd.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

For the ganache pour the cream into a heavy pot.  Open the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds.  Add the seeds and the bean to the cream.

Heat the cream, over medium high heat, until it begins to simmer.  Turn off the heat and add the chopped chocolate.  Allow to stand three minutes before whisking to combine.  Let stand at room temperature until completely cool.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

For the raspberry curd begin by pureeing the fresh raspberries in a blender until smooth.  Strain the mixture through a strainer.  Pour four ounces of the puree into a non-reactive pot with the sugar, lemon juice, and egg yolks.

Cook the mixture, over medium low heat, until it thickens and begins to boil.  Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the butter.  Strain the mixture then cover with plastic, making sure to press the film down on the curd to avoid a skin, and chill in the refrigerator until completely cool.

For the buttercream begin by melting the chopped white chocolate in the microwave in 15 seconds bursts, stirring well between intervals, until completely melted.  In the bowl of a mixer cream the butter and vanilla until smooth.

Add the white chocolate and mix until well combined. Add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until it reaches a spreading consistency.  If the frosting seems to dry add a little heavy cream, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until you reach a smooth consistency.  Cover with plastic until ready to use.

To assemble the cake:

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate ButtercreamRaspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate ButtercreamRaspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Tort the cake into three layers each.  Place a layer of cake on your board, or cake plate, and spread 1/3 of the chocolate ganache until it is 1/4″ from the edge of the cake.  Top with a layer of cake and spread about 1/4 cup raspberry curd until it is 1/4″ from the edge of the cake.  Repeat until you reach the last layer.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Carefully apply a thin crumb coat of the white chocolate buttercream and then chill the cake for at least one hour, or up to four hours, before applying the final coat of frosting.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Decorate as desired.

Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

106 Responses to “Raspberry and Chocolate Ganache Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream”

1. Jessica says:

Hi!
    First of all, I just want to say that I am in love with this cake (or, at least, the beautiful pictures of it)! I’m planning to make it for a graduation party, but am also juggling a batch of cupcakes for the party to boot. I’m a decent baker but am definitely still learning, so finding ways to organize my time and space out what has to be done is important.

Do you think the cake can be made in advance and frozen, leaving just the assembly until the day before? Are there any other aspects of the cake that can be prepped in advance without compromising the end result?

I’d really appreciate any information you could offer. Thanks so much!

2. grace says:

this cake is a sight for sore eyes! it’s perfection itself, and i love the three main components. really excellent work!

3. valerie says:

I just made this cake. The cake itself was quite dense and sponge and didn’t seem to rise high enough to split into layers. It tasted great, but ended up being a small torte cake. I didn’t quite understand how a cake with only 15 oz of flour and 1/8t of baking powder and 1/8t of baking soda could rise so high. Can someone tell me what I did incorrectly for next time?

Valerie – the recipe calls for 1/8 OUNCE of baking powder and baking soda, not teaspoons. That is why your cake was so dense.

5. JulieD says:

I definitely want to try this icing sometime! My Mom loves white chocolate…and her bday is next month. Beautiful pictures!

6. lana says:

VALERIE>>>>> Is an ounce a tsp. ? Because it called for ounces not tsp. I never measure anything by ounces. It does sound like to little flour to me….this cake has so much to it…I’d never go to all that work…:-) BUT it looks wonderful!

Lana – An ounce is two tablespoons, in general. That is a liquid measurement only. I measure this cake by weight because it produces the exact result I want. Thanks!

8. Andrea says:

I tried, but had major difficulties with this cake. Part of the problem was conversion: For the smaller measurements, I had a hard time finding out what 1/8 oz converted to. One website said 1 tablespoon, but that seemed like way too much considering it would be baking powder AND soda. So a neighbor helped me out, and she thought it was a little less than a teaspoon. I’m thinking tbsp must have been closer after all though, because while the cake tasted very good, it was extremely dense, did not rise at all, and was impossible to cut into 3 layers. I had to scrap it and make another (different recipe) cake from scratch.

Also had issues with the buttercream. I think in hindsight I should have melted my chocolate a little bit more, since there were some hard bits in the frosting. I’ve made buttercream several times, but this turned out gritty-like I could taste sugar granules or something, which is odd considering I used powdered sugar.

So I had to scrap the frosting as well, and resort to a tried & true chocolate buttercream.

End result was good, but I was frustrated!

Andrea – Sorry you had such issues with the cake! I suggest you invest in a digital kitchen scale. They are a wonderful tool to use when baking! Also, not sure why the frosting would be gritty unless you either melted the white chocolate at too high a temperature and it broke, which can happen, or if you did not met it enough, in which case you had small lumps of chocolate. Again, sorry you had problems with the recipe!

10. lh says:

you did a fantastic job on this cake. i wouldn’t change one thing about it! i will be making this cake on my next special occasion. thanks so much for posting it.

11. Christy says:

Thanks to all who commented on this recipe because these were the same mistakes I would have made (not weighing, etc.). I am glad I listen to everyone’s comments and because of that, the cake turned out fabulously. My husband even got into decorating it. Thanks for this great recipe!

12. Tammy says:

I made this cake for fathers day and it turned out great! It was a bit tricky for me to figure out the soda & powder measurements as I do not have a digital food scale, just a regular one. I did my best figuring and came up with 3/4 tsp. of each and the cake baked up nicely. I live at about 4000 feet elevation, so I’m not sure how that would change for anyone else. I really prefer recipes with weights instead of measurements, so thank you! I also ended up melting my white chocolate in a double boiler after breaking two attempts in my microwave. I blame the microwave….

End result was delicious and beautiful!

13. Phyllis says:

This cake looks beautiful and sounds delicious. For planning purposes, since most stores sell raspberries by the pint or 1/2 pint, how do I know how many to buy?

14. jen says:

Help! I tried to make this cake twice and both times it didn’t cook all the way through. I used my digital scale and measured exactly. It does seem like there is a lot of “wet” ingredients compared to the “dry” – what am I doing wrong?

Jen – I send you an email with some ideas for the cake. Hope they help!

16. Sarah says:

Hello Kelly,

I was looking for a multi-layered cake for my husband’s 40th birthday and found your AMAZING cake. He loves raspberry and white chocolate, so would be the best cake for him!
    The comments somewhat scared me though, but I do have a kitchen scale, and I’ve baked quite a few times..
    So I was wondering if you could email me with more help like you did with jen there? :D
    I’m sorry if this is too forward but I really want it to come out perfect for him!
    Thanks so much,
    Sarah

17. Becki D. says:

Hey Kelly!

I’m makign this cake for my FIL’s birthday…for the curd, you call for 6 oz of raspberries, but only cook down 4 oz of it. When does the other 2 oz come into play??

Thanks!
    -Becki D.

Becki, once you strain the raspberry you lose some weight because you lose the seeds. If you have any extra raspberry, more than the 4oz you need, you can save it to sauce the plates! Thanks!

19. Becki D. says:

Thanks for the quick resposne! I got the curd (I made strawberry instead of raspberry) and the buttercream made today. Will do the cake, ganache and assembly tomorrow. I can’t wait to EAT it!

I see that most everyone had issues translating the 1/8 oz of BP and BS…I do not have a kitchen scale either. I plan to do 1 tsp of each. Does that sound about right?

20. Ellie says:

I am interested in trying this cake for my son’s wedding. I will be scaling it up quite a bit. I plan to trial it this week-end. I’d love to get a copy of ideas that you emailed others. Thanks!

Ellie – My tips are simple …. weight the ingredients, don’t use melted butter in the cake batter, and make sure your oven is properly calibrated. Pretty easy! :D I hope it works out for you!

Becki – Yeah, I think a teaspoon is about right … just make sure you use cake pans with tall (3″) sides. The cake does rise quite a bit.

23. Mmm, this looks so good. Love the step-by-step photos!

24. Heather says:

I will be trying this tomorrow. .

25. Heather says:

The first attempt did not work out! It rose above the pan and leaked all over the oven. I will not give up on first attempt but i am going for round 2!

Heather – you can either use a 9″ pans for the cake, or get 8″ pans with 3″ tall sides. That should help!

27. Heather says:

I think because I am 5700 ft above sea level it does not work. :(

28. Jessica says:

I Love this blog and decided to try this cake for my birthday. The cake didn’t come out. That’s probably because I wasn’t working with softened butter. When the batter was finished it seemed too thin. The caked baked up fine, but fell as it was cooling. it didn’t seem high enough to split. How deep are the pans being used? IT was a greasy mess. I tried again and substituted Martha Stewart’s white cake recipe and it came out better. The M.S. recipe is enough for three cakes and you only have to split them in half not thirds. It was beautiful and delicious. I will be purchasing a digital scale in the future.

Jessica – I do recommend weighing the ingredients, and I used 8″ by 3″ deep pans.

30. Beth says:

Hey Kelly! I am going to make this tonight with 9″ pans because I don’t have the 3″ sides on my 8″ ones. Hope it turns out! Thanks to everyone’s feedback and Kelly’s comments in response to feedback, hopefully someone like me can come in at this point and make a masterpiece!

31. Beth says:

First try was a yucky outcome due to weighing. Bought a scale and the second round was much better! Can’t wait to taste it tonight at the party I’m attending! Thanks again!

32. Beth says:

p.s. I used 3 7″ because I’d lent out my 9″ers. Worked very well!

33. Donna says:

Hi…I was looking for a recipe for a white chocolate ganache and I stumbled across this recipe. Looks delicious. I make a cake very very similar to this, always for my brother’s birthday which is coming up Saturday! I also made a wedding cake similar to this. I hadn’t tried it with the chocolate ganache. One thing I wanted to say was, I use a box white cake mix, Duncan Hines Only…2 boxes and I also add pure almond extract to the batter. It goes so well with the raspberries and white choc buttercream frosting. Now I will try it with the chocolate ganache as well. I try to use shortcuts whenever I can…but I may give this cake recipe a try. For those of you having a problem with the cake…try using a box mix. Still completely delicious and everyone always asks me for the recipe!!! (secret recipe!)

34. Nisha says:

This looks delcious. I love raspberries and white chocolate!

35. Heidi says:

I was looking for an awesome recipie for my friends wedding cake and found this one. I have been “practicing” making the cake a few times; had I read the blogs – it would have been easier I as well had issues with the conversion for the cake coming out quite dence and moist and not quite rising enough to torte into 3 layers – however it being quite tastey – even with exact weight measured out – including the baking powder and soda it was better, but still seemed to require more flour – then after letting the cake sit overnight (I made just the extra cake) it seems to come together better — well the wedding is this weekend so I will be baking up a storm on Friday and hoping for perfection on this 4th try…..the buttercream; ganache and raspberry curd turned out wonderful — thank you so much for sharing this!

36. kathy gotcher says:

made cake twice, used digital scale, baked in 2(9″) pans….cake rose nicely, baked 40 minutes…while cooling ,cake fell, first was vary dense, great flavor..second same thing. cake DID spring back to touch. any suggestions?

37. gina says:

I;
    ‘ll love to make this awesome cake…How can I translate everything to cups and spoons system?? american system ,thanks in advance..gina f.

38. Donna says:

I made this cake for dinner club. While it was delicious, it was very difficult! I had lost my internet connection and could not read all the posts or see the pictures :( Had to call a friend at work to try to figure out the ounce measurements. We arrived at 3/4 tsp, but it needed more. It was a very dense, short cake. Everyone loved it anyway! Next time, I will try more BP and BS. I do have a scale, but it doesn’t do the 1/8 oz, only 1. Also, on the frosting, mine turned out better with only 3 cups powdered sugar. Again, it would have been nice if I could have read the posts!! Thanks Kelly!

39. Catherine says:

I made this cake and it was a bit dense. I dont have a kitchen scale and I didnt have enough baking powder & baking soda. I want to make it again cause other than it being dense, it was really good

40. angie says:

I love the cake so good.

41. Carol says:

I am using 10″ pans…will this recepie work. If not could you tell me how to bump up recepie..I am making this for a baby shower and there will be 30 people..thanks!

42. The Omnivore says:

This is just a beautiful cake! It’s pictures like this that make me wish I had the patience to bake and decorate something of that ilk.

43. Amy says:

Made this cake for my best friend’s birthday last year, and it was beyond amazing. Took so much time, but was certainly worth it.

44. Dave Abell says:

I will be trying this cake a few weeks from now. I don’t have a digital scale, can you suggest another means of getting close to your weights? Once again thank you so very much for all the amazing ideas

45. Tricia says:

I’m in the process of making the cake for the second time with small adjustments. I use 3 cake pans since I don’t have 3″ sides and its easier to cut in half than 3x. I bake at 325 for about 24 minutes at 4500 ft so it might be less tume for others. I used 1 tsp of powder and soda each. I used a French buttercream instead for taste preference. It came out beautiful and delicious. Today I’m doing one more tweak, I’m going to try a blackberry curd and use French buttercream again.

46. April says:

Hi there! I have made this fabulous cake three times, it turned out very good, but not like the picture. I went through great pains of double and triple checking my conversions ( no food scale yet), and not untill the fourth time making it…it dawned on me the mistake i was making. A simple one, and by reading the “comments” i am wondering if many people, have been making the same mistake i had. You see, my cake always tasted great, but it, as many comments state, too, looked more like a “torte”. I then had the ah-ha moment: I had been using self rising flour every time I made it. Didnt even think use all purpose flour, which I should have, since the recipie called for its own “levening ingredients”. It worked like a charm, ladies, and it only took me four times to figure it out, ha ha :)

47. Donna P says:

Hi,
    It’s my mum’s 60th birthday in a week and white chocolate and raspberry are her favourite. If someone could help me out with the conversions (United Kingdom) into weight though please? Grams preferably. I don’t have digital scales and I’m a student so surprise surprise this will be my first time making anything other than cheesecakes and basic sponges. Pretty please if you could help? I really want to make it special for her.

48. Kimberly says:

This tutorial is amazing. The cake looks amazing! Why do the rasperries look dull though? What kind of camera did you use?

49. Pat says:

Does anyone have a recipe for a French butter cream frosting?

50. Bonny Lee says:

Pat,

I have an easy French Buttercream recipe. I found it years ago in a cookbook from a deli in NYC.

2 sticks (real) butter (I only use Land o Lakes)
    1/2 c. shortening
    2 T. light corn syrup
    1 t. vanilla
    2 c. 10X sugar (Domino)
    2 egg whites

Beat together the first 4 ingredients till light and fluffy. Then add 10X sugar and beat till well combined. Add egg whites and beat for only 1 minute.

You can buy pasteurized egg whites in the store, or you can do this yourself in a bowl over simmering water. I know my perveyor of eggs, and know they have been properly handled, so I usually just use my egg whites out of the fridge.

To make this a chocolate buttercream, I add 1/2 c. sifted cocoa with the butter first. Any flavor can be made, such as lemon – use 1 t. lemon extract and some fresh lemon zest. I like to make an orange buttercream on a chocolate cake, using orange extract and orange zest, then decorate with candied orange peel partially dipped in chocolate.