Mexican Rice

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Mexican Rice

Where I live May 5th is celebrated as a day to enjoy some tasty Tex-Mex or authentic Mexican food, have a few beers, and get together with friends and family.   I love Tex-Mex, which I think I have said before, so any excuse is a good when my favorite food is involved.  One of my favorite Tex-Mex recipes is for Mexican Rice.  This side dish is often done very poorly, which is sad because it is such an easy dish to prepare.

Mexican Rice

In fact, in this age of rice cookers, this dish is a snap.  The two most important things to do when making this dish are often overlooked.  First, toast the rice.  It is such a small thing but it gives the finished dish a much deeper, nuttier flavor.  Second, toast the spices.  All I mean by that is to cook the rice with the spices until they become fragrant.  This step mellows the spices and enhances their earthy flavors.  When done right, Mexican Rice can be absolute bliss, and tasty enough to be a meal.

Mexican Rice    Serves 4-6

1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup drained Ro*Tel Tomatoes

Mexican RiceMexican Rice

In a large skillet over medium high heat melt the butter and vegetable oil until it sizzles.  Add the rice and cook until it turns a light golden color, about 5-8 minutes.  Add the onion and garlic and cook until they become fragrant, about two minutes.

Mexican Rice Mexican RiceMexican Rice

Add the spices and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.  Add the tomato paste and Ro*Tel and stir to combine.

If you are cooking on the stove top add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for about twenty minutes, or until the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender.

If you are cooking in a rice cooker transfer the rice mixture to the rice cooker and add the broth.  Cook according to your machines directions.

Mexican Rice

Serve hot.

Mexican Rice

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Mexican Rice”

1. roxan says:

I love mexican rice!
    I also love throwing ingredients in the rice cooker, i wonder if it would work with the mexican rice.

2. Claudia says:

This is indeed a tasty rice dish. Grand advice about toasting the rice and spices first!

3. Joy says:

So appropriate for today :D. I never got a chance to make it. I can’t wait to try.

4. This Mexican rice looks awesome! Happy Cinco de Mayo :)

5. Mmmm…I just had some with my tacos tonight. Yummy!!! Happy Cinco!!!

6. Bibi says:

Looks delicious. Very similar to my hubs favorite Spanish Rice.

7. Cherine says:

Looks so good! I love mexican rice!

8. Liz C. says:

The rice looks absolutely perfect. Since I live in West Texas, we practically live on Tex-Mex and love it dearly. This weekend is the big Tex-Mex Fest & we always go for the food, beer & mariachis… Ole’!

I am so picky about Mexican rice – so much of what’s served out there is dry and bland. Yours looks gorgeous! And I agree about toasting the rice and spices – it’s little things like that that make a difference!

10. Stephanie says:

This is great! I just bought a whole bunch of rice

11. I always loved this box mix of Mexican Rice that I made when my hubby and I were first married (and when I was still learning to cook). I have since become more aware of what I cook and what we eat, and I stopped buying the boxed mixes… But, I never did find a recipe for Mexican rice. I will have to make this one day next week!

12. Brie says:

ooo, this looks fabulous! i love using tomatoes in rice – great recipe!

13. Connie says:

Have been looking for a good/flavorful Mexican rice recipe (and not out of a box or partially out of of a box) for some time because the bf loves this stuff – made your recipe the other day and all he said is “you did good” and “is there any more”. I think toasting the spices and rice really helped w/the flavors. Thank you.

14. Crystal says:

This looks really good

So i made this recipe, Its really tasty. I made it with 4 cloves of garlic, and I didnt have Rotel tomatoes so i just chopped half a cup of fresh tomatoes and added a tablespoon of mild green chiles and its delicious. Only thing is I couldnt get my rice to puff like yours the grain is still the same shape its not all puffy like yours is in the picture. Is it because there wasnt enough liquid or the pan wasnt hot enough when it was browning? I’d love to know the tip. But over all really good rice!

1. Tweets that mention Mexican Rice | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - May 5, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Tex-Mex Shenanigans – Mexican Rice – http://bit.ly/c98PU1 […]