Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

When I’m feeling under the weather I tend to hibernate and stay out of the kitchen.  Once I begin to feel better I get the itch to bake.

Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

If you follow me on Twitter (@BakingBlog) you know that I caught a nasty bug last week and it knocked me out for about four days.  Now that I am, happily, on the mend I am back in the kitchen whipping up some food to feed my evil soul.   After being so sick I felt I deserved something rich so it had to be chocolate, but I needed something with deep flavor so I grabbed some spices.

Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Spice and chocolate are a favorite combination of mine.  This time out I decided on aromatic and tangy cardamom along with some warm cinnamon to take these cupcakes over the edge.  As combinations go, cardamom and chocolate do not get the love they deserve.  Cardamom adds an edge to chocolate that makes the deep notes taste deeper while providing a bright finish.  To top it all off I added chocolate cream cheese frosting.  The tang of the frosting was perfect with the spicy cake.  If you love chocolate, or if you have never had cardamom and chocolate, give these a try.

Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting      Yield 12

For the frosting:
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 – 8 ounce block cream cheese, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder

Heat the oven to 350 F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.

Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until well blended.   Add the sugar and whisk to incorporate.

Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

In a medium bowl combine the butter, melted chocolate, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until blended, but do not over mix.

Divide the batter into the muffin cups evenly.  Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the cupcakes spring back when gently pressed in the center.  Cool the cupcakes in the pan for three minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

While the cupcakes cool prepare the frosting.  Blend the cream cheese and the butter until well blended and smooth.  Add the vanilla and mix.  Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and mix on low speed until smooth.

Once the cupcakes are cool frost the cupcakes as desired.

Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting”

1. Cardamom! Lovely lovely lovely – I want to eat these now!

2. I love cardamom! These just sound delightful. :)

3. Crystal says:

These look deeeeeeeeeeeelish!

4. Victoria says:

I feel like I can almost taste that cupcake just by staring at the photograph long enough… wow. That frosting especially looks heavenly!

5. YUM! These sound fabulous…the frosting looks divine!

6. So glad to hear you’re feeling better! I have recently started using cardamom, but I’ve never had it with chocolate. Sounds like a good combo that I’ll have to try!

7. oh my word, does it get much better? i love the idea of chocolate cream cheese icing…and will definitely be using this recipe ASAP!

8. I haven’t cooked or baked with cardamom yet, but I do like the flavor of it. Glad you’re feeling better.

I love cream cheese frosting!!! Though, who wouldn’t, right?

9. Marisa says:

Love cupcakes with a hint of spice! I also did some recently – check out my blogpost today. :-)

10. chef Dennis says:

what a great idea, I would have never thought of cardamom in cupcakes….I always learn something new everyday!
    they do look sinfully good too!

11. Cherine says:

Mouthwatering!

12. Jeanne says:

With your description of what cardamom does to chocolate, I want to give these a try. It’s good to see this is what happens when you’re feeling better. Yum!

13. I agree with your general assessment of cardamon and chocolate though I’ve had some bad examples of those two together. The key to for them to be in balance not the spice overwhelming the cocoa.

Mm….cardamom and chocolate….nom nom nom! These look gorgeous. Glad you’re feeling better!

15. maria says:

I don’t like all frostings, but I think I can manage this one:) Looks extra tasty!

16. Someone from Tasty Kitchen recommended your blog and I can’t thank her enough. This is by far the best baking blog I’ve seen in a while! Thanks! Keep it up! :)

17. lily ng says:

congrats for being a featured blog in foodie blogroll

lily ng
    lily’s wai sek hong

18. Spice Sherpa says:

Cardamom! Chocolate! Cream Cheese! Cupcakes! I think today is sponsored by the letter “C” and I am so glad it is! Thanks for sharing—this is a magic combination.

19. Sara says:

I am always looking for a new cardamom recipe,and could these look more perfect? I think not.

20. Eliana says:

What a way to come back. These look outstanding!!!

21. LOVE this flavor combo. Can’t wait to try this recipe. THANKS!

22. Oh my gosh, the frosting in your photos is just screaming, “Lick me! Lick Me!” Now I have to go print out your recipe because tomorrow will be baking day. Thanks!

23. Carol Egbert says:

I love cardamom and chocolae but have never tried them together—now I will. Thanks.

24. Gina Stanley says:

Wow, I love chocolate & cream cheese, and together, loving it! Thanks for sharing, great blog.

25. Kristina says:

I just tried these cupcakes out (with a different frosting) and they were heavenly!

26. Cheri says:

You had me at the pictures alone! Beautiful! I can’t wait to make these:-)

27. Kate says:

I made these with a slight variation; a coconut cream cheese icing (mostly because I was out of cocoa powder). The result was divine! This is the first time I baked with cardamom and chocolate and it is a winning combination.

28. erin says:

made these last night, low fat version involved replacing the butter and egg with pumpkin/applesauce (because I ran out of pumpkin) and using 2 egg whites. I also added pumpkin to the frosting. can’t wait to try them tomorrow!

29. Namrata says:

I absolutely love this site… Keep up the good work!

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - June 10, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting! http://bit.ly/bF0LX8 […]

2. 23 of the Best Cupcake Recipes in the Internet | Panlasang Pinoy - January 9, 2011

[…] 12. Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting […]

3. Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes | Devoted to Cupcakes - February 10, 2013

[…] The chocolate cardamom cupcakes are rich with deep flavor. Made from a combination of chocolate and spice, you’ll love the warm cinnamon flavor mixed with tangy cardamom a combination that goes hand in hand. Cardamom helps to enhance the taste of chocolate and the chocolate cream cheese frosting is undeniable to die for! If you love chocolate, there’s no turning back once you try cardamom chocolate. Source: Evil Shenanigans […]

4. Chocolate Cardamom Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting - March 21, 2013

[…] Find the recipe at :  http://www.evilshenanigans.com […]