Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies

Tue, Jun 29, 2010

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

It has been a little while since I made a batch of cookies, and it has also been a while since I used my beloved Golden Syrup.  Quel nightmare!

Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies

So, when the inevitable cookie craving struck the other day I went directly to the pantry to see what was available.  I had already decided on Golden Syrup, and I had some fresh oatmeal, so that was going in.  I also had part of a bag of chocolate chips.  Things were looking pretty good for this cookie obsessed blogger!

Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies

These cookies are chewy.  Very chewy.  Additively chewy.   Of course with a half a cup of Golden Syrup, they could not help but have a chewy texture.  That texture is enhanced by the oats, and the melting chocolate.   Another benefit of the Golden Syrup is that these cookies stay fresh for a long time on the counter.  You can keep them in an air tight container for five days and they will still be moist and chewy.   I omitted the cinnamon that is traditionally found in oatmeal cookies.  Really, the Golden Syrup is the star here and I wanted nothing to interfere with its deep amber flavor.

Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies     Yield 4 dozen

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup Golden Syrup*
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip

Heat the oven to 375 F and line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip CookiesGolden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies

In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the butter, both sugars, golden syrup, and vanilla.  Cream the mixture until smooth and starting to lighten in color.  Add the egg and mix until well combined.

Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies

In a small bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  Pour the dry mixture into the wet and mix on low speed until just combined.  Add the oats and chips and mix until blended.

Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies

Scoop the cookies out onto the prepared cookie sheet by rounded tablespoons.  Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.  Allow the cookies to cool for five minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies

Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies

*Many recipes will say to substitute dark corn syrup for Golden Syrup, but I would not recommend that here because the flavor profile would be WAY off.  Golden Syrup, happily, is available in most larger grocery stores in the maple syrup and corn syrup section.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies”

1. I have never used golden syrup! I am so intrigued now. I’d love to try it.

2. Eliana says:

Oh man oh man – this look positively perfect. I’m definitely stopping by the store tonight to grab some golden syrup :)

3. howtobaker says:

These look fantastic! I’ll have to pick up some golden syrup next time we’re at the store.

4. Megan says:

Ooh… thanks for this recipe! I bought Golden Syrup a while ago to try a recipe that was not so great (though it should have been since it was in Bon Appetit and from a very popular blogger/food writer), and I have not figured out what else to do with it. These cookies look delicious! I know I’ll have better luck with this recipe.

Megan – Golden Syrup is also good on grilled fruit, mixed into fruit salad, or as an ice cream topping!

6. These are like my beloved Anzac biscuits only with chocolate – YUMMO! Bookmarked!

7. CC Recipe says:

These cookies look fantastically delicious, I love chewy cookies!

8. Jenni says:

Oh yum yum YUM! I’ll have to try these. I discovered golden syrup when I decided to make ANZAC biscuits for my Australian boyfriend, and I’m a total convert!

(BTW…If you haven’t had ANZAC biscuits before, I bet you’d like them based on the recipe you posted today. I have the recipe on my blog (2nd one in the entry): http://whatitiz.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/the-way-to-a-mans-heart-part-2/.)

9. Mollie says:

WOW! I would pretty much commit serious crimes to have one of those cookies in my hand right now…

I’m very intrigued by this golden syrup situation…I’ll have to test it out!

10. Shree says:

golden syrup sounds intriguing and wonderful. thanks for sharing

11. Jessica says:

These cookies look so delicious. Your pictures are so good I think I could reach right through my computer and grab one of these tasty goodies! lol

I can feel the texture in my teeth too…love chewy cookies.

12. Tanantha says:

I’ve never used golden syrup before. Will have to try. They cookies look so good!

Congrats on being featured on TK Blog too!

13. I love your site!! I just found it. Your pictures are amazingly yummmy. :)
    (I just posted a link to your site on my Face Book Page – http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/LAMommiescom/172016683599?ref=ts)

Thx for all the great info!

14. Ellie Di says:

I learned something today! I had to go look up golden syrup because it’s been popping up everywhere and sounds delicious. I was afraid it was going to be a type of corn syrup and was pleasantly surprised! Oatmeal cookies are my favourite kind and these sound amazing. I can’t wait to try out golden syrup in these for the first time! <3

LOVE these! All I need is a big glass of milk! And can you email some cookie? Please:)

16. Golden syrup is the BEST. These cookies look ridiculous. It’s really no fair to see them on the screen but not able to eat them!

17. Evan@swEEts says:

I saw golden syrup the other day in the grocery and was wondering what it could be used for..is the flavor like honey?

18. Emily says:

I bought a jar of golden syrup a while ago and have been wondering what to make with it. These sound great!

19. Katrina says:

I bought some golden syrup about 6 months ago and haven’t had the chance to decide what to make with it. Now I know!
    I’m not sure I’ve commented on your blog before, but have been reading it since you posted those chocolate chip cookies that had a ton of chips in them. I love cookies, too!

20. I am such a fan of golden syrup! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

21. These cookies look amazing. I love golden syrup and just saw some at the store the other day. I’ll have to go back and pick some up.

22. Vicky says:

Can I just say: awesome!

I found Lyle’s when I lived in England, but wasn’t much of a cook at the time. Now that I live in rural Texas, ingredients like this aren’t easy to find. I found some last week on a sojourn in the big city, and have been aching to use it. I found these cookies and they are amazing! Did not get to test the moistness time frame; mine were gone in an hour. Can’t wait to cook them again!

23. Jasmine says:

I made these with a group of pre-preschoolers as a bar cookie and they turned out great. However, I would prefer them without the chocolate chips as I feel that they serve to distract one from the lovely goodness of Golden Syrup.

1. Tweets that mention Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - June 29, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans! Golden Syrup Oatmeal Chip Cookies! http://bit.ly/cQgFVo [...]

2. The Wholestyle Network » Blog Archive » Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Golden Syrup - July 16, 2010

[...] Evil Shenanigans is at it again!  This time, she’s making my favourite cookie – oatmeal.  Using golden syrup, an inverted sugar solution similar to honey, keeps these bad boys chewy and moist for days.  [Link] [...]