Creamy Mushroom Soup

Sometimes you just need some comfort.

Creamy Mushroom Soup

Yesterday was not a great day for me.  In fact, it was terrible.  Before I got home I decided that a nice, warm, creamy bowl of soup would fit the bill.  I have been craving mushroom soup for a few weeks, ever since having some rather superb mushroom soup at a local cafe, and I had three pints of mushrooms in the fridge.  It was meant to be.

Creamy Mushroom Soup

This mushroom soup is pretty basic.  I really wanted the mushrooms to be the star so I did not add anything to take away from their robust earthiness.   Instead I picked aromatics and herbs to compliment and enhance my trio of mushroom.  For this soup I chose button, crimini, and shitaki mushrooms, but you could use just about any mushrooms you wanted.  You could also finish this soup off with more cream than I used, but I though that a touch was enough.  Warm, creamy, and full of flavor, this soup is sure to chase your blues away!

Creamy Mushroom Soup     Serves 4

3 pints mushrooms (I used button, crimini, and shitaki), cleaned and trimmed
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Creamy Mushroom Soup

In the bowl of a food processor add two pints of mushrooms, the onion, and garlic.  Pulse until the mushrooms are in small pieces, but not blended smooth.

Chop the third pint of mushrooms roughly.

Creamy Mushroom Soup Creamy Mushroom Soup

In a heavy bottom pot over medium heat add the oil.  Once it shimmers add the mushrooms, thyme, pay leaf.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook until the mixture starts to look dry, about 15 minutes.

Creamy Mushroom Soup

Add the butter and allow to melt, then add the flour and cook until no raw flour remains, about five minutes.

Creamy Mushroom Soup

Slowly add the chicken or vegetable stock, whisking constantly, then add the milk.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for ten minutes.

Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream.  Test for seasoning and adjust as needed.

Creamy Mushroom Soup

Creamy Mushroom Soup

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Creamy Mushroom Soup”

1. Jim Mosier says:

Ever make Cream of Mushroom with Beef Base or stock? Really enhances the mushroom flavor. That said I can’t wait to try your recipe.

2. Brie says:

sorry to hear you had a bad day. :( i think a warm bowl of mushroom soup is a wonderful way to relax. it’s one of my favorite soups, and i could always use some to cheer me up. this looks amazing homemade.

3. RJ Flamingo says:

Sounds easy, delicious, and also a perfect base for other creamy recipes! I may try to make a vegan version of this for my kosher kitchen, so I can make meat dishes that require cream of mushroom soup, too. Love good basics!

4. Sara says:

Looove mushrooms soup and it truly is good comfort food! I hope it worked well. I like your choice of complements to the mushroom. I need to try it out like this.

5. I’m sorry you had a bad day. :( I’ve never made mushroom soup from scratch (I know that’s bad!) so I am glad that you posted this recipe. I love good comfort food and I’m not very well aquainted with soup. Thank you for sharing this. :)

6. Rene says:

I’m sorry that a bad day for you turned into a good recipe for all of us — this looks good!

7. roxan says:

I think we are on the same wavelength – i had a really bad day earlier this week and immediately made cookies when i got home. i love how food can totally turn a bad day around!

8. RavieNomNoms says:

I love Mushroom soup and this one just looks so so so good!

9. Jillyann says:

Homemade beats the heck out of those canned soup abominations! This looks so creamy and delicious.

10. Carol Egbert says:

Perfect comfort food. Thanks.

11. Mags says:

What a great homemade mushroom soup recipe. I promise that when the weather gets below 500 degrees here, I’m going to try this!

12. Soup really makes everything better! And of course, if there is cream in it that helps too!

13. I love mushroom soup!!!! I remember my aunt making some for me when I went on my trip to the Philippines earlier this year. Is it weird to crave soup on hot days???

14. The Mouthy One says:

I love mushrooms any way I can get them. Knowing I can make your soup with the stock I whipped up late last night has just put a smile on my face. Thank you for sharing – hope this week is better for you!

15. I have never attempted to make this myself but yours look so yummy. I must try it out one day!!

16. Yum Yucky says:

Confession: I have rapid breathing pulse and taste buds arousal. Yep, I want it.

17. Ally says:

Looks amzing. I’ve bookmarked this recipe…it’s on my must-make list as soon as the weather cools down here.

18. Eliana says:

This soup has comfort written all over it. I love it.

19. Oh man this looks delicious! And your photographs are beautiful! Everything here looks great!
    I recently launched my own blog, I’d love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! :) Thanks!

20. Soup is always a great way to end a bad day and this one must have lifted your spirits. Looks amazing!

1. Tweets that mention Creamy Mushroom Soup | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - August 12, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oxford Falls and Evil Shenanigans, Red Monkey Foods. Red Monkey Foods said: RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans – Creamy Mushroom Soup – http://bit.ly/cL9hiC [...]

2. Cooking Recipes For The Diabetic « shiyan - August 18, 2010