Bacon Dressed Green Beans

I have the secret for making EVERY vegetable, as long as you are a carnivore, taste better.

Bacon Dressed Green Beans

It is not a very well kept secret, since EVERYONE knows about bacon.  This recipe started out as green bean bundles from a cookbook I borrowed from my mother.  The beans were blanched then slow roasted which left them limp and unpleasantly mushy.  I prefer my green beans to be slightly al dente, or tender crisp, but I loved the flavors in the recipe so I set about making some much needed changes.  First, roasting was out.  Why roast a bean that is perfectly done?  Second, since we are no longer roasting I needed to tweak the sauce so it would have more punch.

Bacon Dressed Green Beans

These are my favorite green beans!  I make them at the holidays, and almost every other special occasion, and they are always among the first things to go.  Even my brother, who has an aversion to most things green, devours these.  Bacon is key here, so use a really good quality smoked bacon.  The other key is the dressing.  I flavor it with mustard powder, smoked paprika and a little bit of brown sugar.  Trust me when I tell you the brown sugar really adds a lightly sweet depth to these beans that, along with the mustard and smoked paprika, make these taste better than any green beans I’ve ever had.  These are lovely with chicken, turkey, or steaks and are just as good the next day if reheated in a skillet.

Bacon Dressed Green Beans      Serves 4

12 ounces fresh green beans
2 slices thick-cut apple wood smoked bacon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste

Bacon Dressed Green Beans Bacon Dressed Green Beans

Chop the bacon into 1/4 inch or smaller pieces.  In a medium skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until brown and very crisp.  Remove the bacon to drain on a towel and discard all but two tablespoons of the rendered fat.

Bacon Dressed Green BeansBacon Dressed Green Beans

Clean and trim the green beans.  In a pot of salted boiling water cook the beans for 4-5 minutes.  Shock the beans in an ice water bath to preserve their color.  Drain well.

Bacon Dressed Green Beans Bacon Dressed Green Beans

Place the skillet with the bacon drippings over medium heat and add the butter, brown sugar, paprika, and mustard powder.  Once the butter foams add the drained green beans and cook, tossing the beans to coat then evenly, for about 2 minutes, or until they reach your preferred level of doneness.   Season with salt.

Bacon Dressed Green Beans

Garnish with the cooked bacon.  Enjoy!

Bacon Dressed Green Beans

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Bacon Dressed Green Beans”

1. Lately I have been obsessed with roasting green beans, but would you believe that me, a bacon freak, has never added bacon?! I must change that!

2. RavieNomNoms says:

YES PLEASE! I love Bacon with green beans, we make it in my family every year for Thanksgiving

3. Eliana says:

I’m obssessed with anything bacon, as it makes just about everything taste better.

4. Tiffany says:

I just bought some beautiful green beans and was wondering how to prepare them, thank you for this recipe, I can’t wait to taste them!

5. Carol Egbert says:

Great idea to add the dry mustard and smoke paprika.

6. Jason Phelps says:

You can’t go wrong with beans and bacon. I like how you reconsidered the recipe to improve it. Next time we get beans I’m in!

Jason

7. Hungry Jenny says:

Ooh, I just bought some green beans from the market this morn, I will have to try this out, looks yum! You are always so inspiring :-)

Hungry Jenny x

8. Annie says:

Those look so good. I always toss a little bacon grease in with my green beans. It’s very Southern.

9. I’ve enjoyed a dish like this for years…and I’m with you on the not overcooking the beans!

I just did a similar dressing for cabbage, I call it a warm slaw but either way…green beans or cabbage; they both taste better with bacon!

10. ayngelina says:

Great recipe, I also love it with brussel sprouts.

11. use candied bacon. i bet even the the non-meat eaters in the group will go for them then.

and seriously–i like my green beans practically raw. what’s with people overcooking them?

12. BACON!!!!!!! i had bacon for the first time in a while today and now that’s all i can dream about :)

13. Oh my :) I’m with you on beans being tender crisp in fact that’s how I love all my veggies. We eat green beans at least once a week here so always looking for a new variations. I do something similar with proscuitto but may need to give this a try.

14. These beans are definitely dressed with somewhere to go…my belly!

15. Kim in MD says:

You had me at BACON! It makes everything taste better! :-)

Yum! I have added bacon to green beans many times, but your mustard sauce would certainly put this side over the top. Definitely going to have to try.

1. Barbecued Green Beans | Never Enough Thyme - October 19, 2010