Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Tue, Oct 12, 2010

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

I may be one of the only people who do not like Oreo cookies all that much.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

I know, I know, EVERYONE like Oreo’s (and if you gave me some I would eat them) but they are not, and never have been, my favorite.  It is the texture of the cookie.  For many the crispness of the chocolate cookie really works, but it has never worked for me.  Give me a substantial, buttery cookie … something along the lines of a shortbread cookie.  So, when I decided to make some sandwich cookies for myself I knew shortbread was the only way to go.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

These cookies are very, very rich.  Between the Dutch-processed cocoa shortbreads and the vanilla buttercream filling, these cookies are packed with flavor.  I like my cookies to be a bit on the thicker side, but if you prefer a more delicate cookie feel free to make them smaller and thinner.  Personally, I want a cookie that can stand up to the filling and these most certainly do.  These are SO good with a glass of cold milk, or a hot cup of coffee.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies     Yield 3 dozen

For the cookies:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
6 ounces (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup powdered sugar

For the filling:
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Chocolate Sandwich CookiesChocolate Sandwich Cookies

In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the cookies.  Mix until a uniform dough forms.  The dough will be thick.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Scoop the dough by rounded teaspoons on to the cookie sheets.  Use a measuring cup, or drinking glass with a smooth bottom, dipped in powdered sugar to flatten the cookies.  For cosmetic reasons, if you want smooth edges, you can round them against your hand or the sheet tray, to smooth them out if you like.  Personally, I like the rough edges.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until puffed and firm when gently pressed on the edges.  Cool on the rack for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

While the cookies cool prepare the filling.  In a small bowl cream together the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla with a spatula until smooth and creamy.  Do not incorporate any air into the mixture.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Once the cookies are completely cool pipe, or spread, 1 -2 teaspoons of the filling (or to your taste) on the bottom of one cookie.  Top with another cookie and press so the filling reaches the edges.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Chocolate Sandwich Cookies”

1. i’m with you…Oreos are OK and all, but these are what i really want when i have a cookie sandwich craving!

2. getting fatter jim says:

You absolutely slay me. Those look fabulous. Bet they were first takes as well. You have talent sister.

3. Nicole says:

I am also not a fan of Oreos, much to my dad’s horror. I remember him once telling a German exchange student, “You’ve never had an Oreo?!? It’s America’s favorite cookie!” These, on the other hand, are right up my alley :)

4. I actually can’t stand Oreos. I won’t even eat them if you put them in front of me. Strangely enough, I don’t mind the reverse ones with the yellow cookie and the chocolate filling. Now, these though… these are different and right up my alley!! I will give them a try for sure.

5. All this needs is a tall glass of milk. I can see why this is preferred over Oreos!

6. ShawnsPlate says:

We saw these and my daughter is currently dragging me to the kitchen. These should be the best school treat ever!

7. Brie says:

you’re not alone in the Oreo debate, and i agree yours look *much* better. deliciousness!

8. Evan Thomas says:

I do not like oreos that much, either! I was always MUCH partial to the filling and not the actual cookie. They were so stale :-(

9. The only Oreos I like are Double Stuff. Your cookies look so much better!! This is a great idea…and they’d be so cute for Halloween with orange tint in the filling :)!

10. I am a Oreo’s fan… however, I would take these cookies over Oreo’s any day, they sound fabulous and Ohhh, with a glass of cold milk, sounds like such a fabulous pair:)

11. Susi says:

I’m not a big Oreo fan either. I do like them when used in a recipe but not by themselves. Yours look waaaay better than the store bought version and I would love a few of them along with a cup of coffee!

12. Heather I. says:

I’m not much for Oreo’s myself, although Oreo ice cream is excellent :) These sound perfect to me- shortbread is one of my favorites!

13. My hubby doesn’t like Oreos either. I keep telling him that is something he should have told me before we got married. *grin*

These look really good. I would need to find a good gluten-free flour mixture so can make ‘em!

14. Evan@swEEts says:

I could give or take oreos to be honest.. but these lil guys look delicious!

15. Yum, these look fantastic! :)

16. I can take or leave Oreos; you know would probably never buy them but if there were here, and I had milk…they would be OK.

BUT…these are more better..err, butter; oh whatever, chocolate shortbread with a buttercream filling. These aren’t your Daddy’s Oreos!

17. Katie says:

These cookies are in my oven right now!!! They smell so good – I’m going to fill them with cream cheese frosting!

18. Victoria says:

Just today I purchased the TKO (Thomas Keller Oreo) from Bouchon bakery, so when I saw these pics I laughed! What funny timing!! I’m glad you managed to find an oreo variation you love :)

19. GreenGirl says:

Last year while I was pregnant Oreo were the only biscuits I could eat, since I gave birth I didn’t even thought of having another one, I’m Oreo-free for little over 11 months, yeeeeeeeeee
    Your biscuits look and sound so yummy

20. Lisa says:

I like Oreos, but these look much better.

21. these look fantastically perfect! i love a good sandwich cookie!

22. astheroshe says:

your cookies look great! and i hate oreos. A total waste of time to eat .

23. Annie says:

I really really like Oreos myself but they have to be dunked in milk until they are soggy. If not, they are too dry. Now your cookies don’t look like they require any dunking at all but would be outrageously delicious if you did. Thanks for the recipe!

24. bigFATcook says:

These cookies look very tasty! I love everything that includes chocolate or cocoa. :)

Greets from BFC!!!

25. Shannon abdollmohammadi says:

I don’t like them because of the lard like filling…your recipe is a delicious twist that I am excited to make!

26. Katrina says:

Just echoing you that I’m not a lover of Oreos. Like you, I’ll eat them if given 1 or 2, and I like when they are part of another dessert, but I’d rather have something else. And that says a lot coming from a chocolate lover like me.
    Love the idea of shortbread!

27. Santa will be allllll over these come December.

28. Hungry Jenny says:

Oh my god, you are actually a genius!

I don’t like Oreos either, but even if I did, I would still choose these sandwich cookies over them! Man, I want one now!

Hungry Jenny x

29. I agree. OREOS are OK but far, far from my favorite anything.

30. Angela FRS says:

Those. Look. Amazing. And I am so with you–Oreos are the most overrated cookie, ever. I don’t like them. I will definitely be making these, thanks for the post.

31. YUM! These look amazing! I LOVE chocolate shortbread! Definitely going to try these! Thanks for the great post!

32. Wow…I think you just gave the oreo a run for its money!!! I’ll take dozen. Half for me and the other half I’ll share with whoever. hahaha…

33. I lovee my oreos. But these still look super good to me. A nice variation :D

34. When it comes to Oreos, I can take them or leave them. But, these chocolate sandwich cookies look fantastic… So much better! I made cookies and cream fudge last year for Christmas, and I’m thinking those chocolate cookies would be a great replacement for the Oreos in that recipe.

35. Such a great idea to shape the dough into balls and flatten them. I would have rolled out the dough, used cookie cutters and ended up with lots of scraps. So, can you come up with a recipe for reverse Oreos (golden cookie, chocolate filling)? I like those much better than the regular ones.

36. Chocolate butter cookies and cream what’s not to love !!!! Bookmarking this

37. Yum Yucky says:

WOWzaa to the sammich cookie! I think I love you all over again.

38. Susan says:

Oreos are crack!! I have had several shameful days when I have eaten a whole package alone – disgusting I know! :)

Your cookies are going to make me feel that way again aren’t they?! Thanks!

39. Chris S says:

I’m not an Oreo fan either. I buy them for my kids occasionally because they’re one junk food that I can completely ignore even if it’s the only sugar in the house. Your cookies, on the other hand, look absolutely irresistible! Definitely a recipe to try soon.

40. Courtney says:

I love baking with oreos. Just to give the cupcake some crunch. I can’t wait to try these :)

41. Courtney says:

I love baking with oreos. Just to give the cupcake some crunch. I can’t wait to try these! Look amazing.

1. Could totally do with a batch of Chocolate Sandwich Cookies – Nom nom. – DigiPixlet - October 14, 2010

[...] Chocolate Sandwich Cookies [...]

2. Friday Favorites – Christmas Cookie Guide (Episode 74) | my kitchen addiction - December 10, 2010

[...] eating Oreo cookies dunked in milk. If you’re an Oreo fan, you’ll definitely love these Chocolate Sandwich Cookies from Evil Shenanigans.  Consider leaving these out for Santa this year instead of the storebought ones, and you [...]