Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Sat, Nov 6, 2010

Baking, Featured Articles, Pastry, Recipes

**UPDATE**  Voting for this round begins November 15!  Check out all the entries, and vote for your favorites, here!  Thank you all again for your support!!

Sometimes the hardest part is getting there.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Hi, my name is Kelly and I am not a filmmaker – but I tried!  I wanted to get that out of the way since it is time for yet another Project Food Blog Challenge entry.  This week we were challenged to create a video:

Channel your inner Julia Child and put one of your favorite recipes on film. Pick a recipe from your blog archives and make it come to life on video by showing readers the perfect way to poach an egg or just how passionate you are about seasonal ingredients.  (Note, the challenge was later amended to allow us to create new recipes, which I did.)

My comfort zone is creating recipes, taking nice pictures, saying something that is (or maybe is not) interesting about how I made it, and then setting it loose on the internet.  In terms of time and creativity, this challenge required much more out of me than usual.  That is not such a bad thing, all things considered.  I am comfortable with myself, but creating a cooking video is not as easy as the folks on tv make it look.  So, my video may not be slick, overly produced, or flashy, but it is honest, homemade, and something I am proud of.  You can’t get much better than that!

This recipe is perfect for a party, or as an appetizer.  What they are, in essence, are fried cheese doughnuts.  The recipe is easy to make, quick to cook, and adaptable.  I used cheddar and fresh chives, since that is what I prefer, but if you want to use another cheese (Fontina, goat cheese, and Maytag Blue come easily to mind) or another herb, feel free.  You can make the batter as many as four hours in advance, just cover and keep chilled, but when it comes to cooking these are really best fresh from the hot oil.  So, invite your guests into the kitchen, pour some wine, and put on a show for your guests as you fry them up some luscious, cheesy goodness!

Cheddar and Chive Beignets      Serves 6-8

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup milk, 2% or higher
4 tablespoons butter, cubed
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
Oil for frying

Cheddar and Chive Beignets Cheddar and Chive Beignets

In a small bowl combine the flour, smoked paprika, mustard powder, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Whisk to combine.  Set aside.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets Cheddar and Chive Beignets Cheddar and Chive Beignets

In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine the milk and the butter.  Bring the mixture to a boil then pour in the flour and spices.  Stir, over medium heat, until the dough forms a smooth ball and there is a light film on the bottom of the pan, about three minutes.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Put the dough in the work bowl of a stand mixer, or in a medium bowl, and add the cheese.  Blend on low speed until the cheese is mixed.  Some will melt, some will not and that is ok.  Add the eggs one at a time, making sure the mixture is totally smooth before adding the next egg.  Scrape the sides of the bowl down and stir in the fresh chives.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Heat three inches of oil, with a three inch air space, in a dutch oven to 350 F.  When the oil reaches temperature drop the batter by rounded tablespoons into the oil. Fry until golden brown on all sides, about four to five minutes.  Remove from the oil and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.  Serve immediately.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Voting for this round begins November 15 so check out all the contestants and vote for your favorites!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

81 Responses to “Cheddar and Chive Beignets”

1. Great job on the video! It’s like having a friend teaching me right in her kitchen..love it! Recipe looks yummy, these would be great Turkey Day appetizers.

2. Ethan says:

You should be very proud of your video. It was exactly what it should have been. A glimpse into your kitchen (complete with stuff on your fridge:), a recipe that is totally doable, looks delicious and you even nailed the “mmm” moment when you tried the beignet!

3. GREAT job on your video, Kelly! It looks wonderful and you looked so comfortable in front of the camera! You have my vote!

4. This was fantastic, Kelly! Both the recipe and the video. I tried to make a cooking video once. A filmmaker friend took over, too ambitiously, and it was a disaster. Never even made it to the blog. You totally have my vote.

5. Kath says:

Nicely done! Your beignets will be perfect for the holidays. You’ve got my vote.

6. You did not disappoint Kelly; relaxed and comfortable in front of the camera and as I’ve told you before, totally approachable; you make food people want to EAT!

7. Kelly I love it!!!! It’s so you. TOtally what this contest should be about!

8. Drick says:

such a great job and a really great recipe

9. eatgreek.net says:

they look delicious! excellent work! :D

10. Annalise says:

Awesome video! You did such a great job! You’re such a natural in front of the camera. :) You’ll definitely be getting my vote!

11. Brie says:

omg, those look delicious!!! great recipe – i love savory beignets. plus your video is fun to watch and shows how to make the recipe perfectly. fantastic entry – good luck!

12. Savory beignets – brilliant! Nice job on your post and video. Good luck!!

13. FANTASTIC Job!!! Love your approachable personality…and what’s not to love about a cheesy beignet? You’ve got my vote!!

14. Savory beignets???!!! Can I come to your house and eat? Your video is so great! I’m sooo voting for you!

15. Winnie says:

Great job on your video! You should be extremely proud…it’s awesome :)

16. Annie says:

I thought that the video was great! It looked pretty professional in my opinion and it it so nice to finally put a face to the blog. Well done!

17. I LOVE the video!!! You did an amazing job, the video looks absolutely professional. I love that I now have a “person” to go with the Evil Shenanigans name. Excellent job!!!

18. Stephanie says:

Nice work! Loved the video – these may be a pre-Thanksgiving dinner munchie!

19. Jason Phelps says:

I think this video is a great example of the challenge. Good lighting. Clear language and demonstration. Lots of smiling. Groovy music (maybe I shouldn’t have said that…)

Oh, and really great recipe. Figured that was an assumption.

Jason

20. OH MY WORD do those look sooooo good! What an incredibly creative idea. I would have never of thought of making savory beignets. I’m in love! You did an incredible job with the video. Your instructions in the video were so easy to follow and you did a great job of demonstrating the recipe. I LOVED IT!

21. Kita says:

These look amazing! and kudos on your video :)

22. Ilke says:

My first time on your blog and I am amazed with the video post. You are very good with the camera. I’ll make sure I get online and vote for you!

23. Amy says:

Great job on the video, these beignets look delicious!

24. Tamar says:

I’ve been doing cooking videos on YouTube for nearly 3 years now and this video is very well done!

25. Vegolicious says:

Your beignets look and sound amazing.

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian photo gallery showcasing the best vegetarian dishes and recipes on the web.

26. Good job on the video. The beignets looks delicious! You got my vote:D Good luck!

27. Lora says:

Excellent job with your video. For what it’s worth, I am a TV professional and I thought your delivery was perfect. So was the pacing of the video and the takeaway information. You are telegenic! And your recipe was wonderful. Well done!

28. Lisa says:

Fabulous!!! I will be sending a vote your way. I have really enjoyed all your entries.

29. Kimberly says:

Good job on your video. You’re such a good speaker. I bet you would be a wonderful cooking class instructor.

30. Paula Hennig says:

Great job! those beignets look divine!! I’ll be sure to vote for you!

31. Hot Polka Dot's Mom says:

Well done! You are a natural in front of the camera and your warm personality shines through. Definitely going to try your Beignets.

32. Miss Martina says:

Great Video, Sound, everything!! Miss M-

33. Miss Martina says:

Greatvideo, sound, everything!! Miss M-

34. I agree with the first comment…it’s like being right in your kitchen, as a friend!

35. maria says:

You are a STAR!!!! Loved the video!! It was great to “see” you! Great recipe too! Good luck!!!

36. Congratulations !!

Great video !! You are natural and you do what ought to be done!!!

37. Nik says:

These look fantastic! I’ll make it tonight! THANK YOU!

38. Amanda L. says:

You did a GREAT job! And those beignets look amazing!!!

39. You are adorable! Loved the recipe and you looked really relaxed and knowledgeable. Great job.

40. Trix says:

Awesome video and great recipe – you seem so comfortable and professional!

41. sippitysup says:

fantastic! I mean the video every bit as much as the cheesy delights. GREG

42. Janis says:

Good job, sweetie!

43. These look absolutely delicious. Great job!

Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

44. great vid — you’re sure to advance. Your beignets look delicious! Theresa

45. Edited very well! You’re a natural.

46. What a great twist on donuts! Love the video!

47. I’m a bit late on commenting… But, had to let you know that these beignets look spectacular. And, your video is GREAT! Loved it :)

48. great job!!! You are such a natural on camera and very inviting. :)

49. Foodiewife says:

I’m really like this part of the competition. Finally, I get to see y’all on video. It makes you very real. GREAT job and you looked very comfortable at what you were doing. Great recipe, too.

50. Lindsay says:

Wow! That is such a professional video! Great job! Good Luck in the contest!

1. Tweets that mention Cheddar and Chive Beignets | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 6, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oxford Falls and Evil Shenanigans, Ethan Adeland. Ethan Adeland said: I think it's a great video and it totally makes me want to make beignets! RT @bakingblog: Cheddar and Chive Beignets: http://bit.ly/99xRXq [...]

2. Columbus Foodie » Blog Archive » November 2010 Roundup - January 16, 2012

[...] Eating Bird Food, Spiced Lamb Steaks with a Warm Moroccan Couscous Salad from The English Kitchen, Cheddar and Chive Beignets from Evil Shenanigans, Thanksgiving Squash Soup from Food and Things, Turkey Cocktail Meatballs [...]

3. Cheese Beignets Recipe | Leite's Culinaria - November 18, 2013