Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Sat, Nov 6, 2010

Baking, Featured Articles, Pastry, Recipes

**UPDATE**  Voting for this round begins November 15!  Check out all the entries, and vote for your favorites, here!  Thank you all again for your support!!

Sometimes the hardest part is getting there.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Hi, my name is Kelly and I am not a filmmaker – but I tried!  I wanted to get that out of the way since it is time for yet another Project Food Blog Challenge entry.  This week we were challenged to create a video:

Channel your inner Julia Child and put one of your favorite recipes on film. Pick a recipe from your blog archives and make it come to life on video by showing readers the perfect way to poach an egg or just how passionate you are about seasonal ingredients.  (Note, the challenge was later amended to allow us to create new recipes, which I did.)

My comfort zone is creating recipes, taking nice pictures, saying something that is (or maybe is not) interesting about how I made it, and then setting it loose on the internet.  In terms of time and creativity, this challenge required much more out of me than usual.  That is not such a bad thing, all things considered.  I am comfortable with myself, but creating a cooking video is not as easy as the folks on tv make it look.  So, my video may not be slick, overly produced, or flashy, but it is honest, homemade, and something I am proud of.  You can’t get much better than that!

This recipe is perfect for a party, or as an appetizer.  What they are, in essence, are fried cheese doughnuts.  The recipe is easy to make, quick to cook, and adaptable.  I used cheddar and fresh chives, since that is what I prefer, but if you want to use another cheese (Fontina, goat cheese, and Maytag Blue come easily to mind) or another herb, feel free.  You can make the batter as many as four hours in advance, just cover and keep chilled, but when it comes to cooking these are really best fresh from the hot oil.  So, invite your guests into the kitchen, pour some wine, and put on a show for your guests as you fry them up some luscious, cheesy goodness!

Cheddar and Chive Beignets      Serves 6-8

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup milk, 2% or higher
4 tablespoons butter, cubed
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
Oil for frying

Cheddar and Chive Beignets Cheddar and Chive Beignets

In a small bowl combine the flour, smoked paprika, mustard powder, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Whisk to combine.  Set aside.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets Cheddar and Chive Beignets Cheddar and Chive Beignets

In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine the milk and the butter.  Bring the mixture to a boil then pour in the flour and spices.  Stir, over medium heat, until the dough forms a smooth ball and there is a light film on the bottom of the pan, about three minutes.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Put the dough in the work bowl of a stand mixer, or in a medium bowl, and add the cheese.  Blend on low speed until the cheese is mixed.  Some will melt, some will not and that is ok.  Add the eggs one at a time, making sure the mixture is totally smooth before adding the next egg.  Scrape the sides of the bowl down and stir in the fresh chives.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Heat three inches of oil, with a three inch air space, in a dutch oven to 350 F.  When the oil reaches temperature drop the batter by rounded tablespoons into the oil. Fry until golden brown on all sides, about four to five minutes.  Remove from the oil and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.  Serve immediately.

Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Cheddar and Chive Beignets

Voting for this round begins November 15 so check out all the contestants and vote for your favorites!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

81 Responses to “Cheddar and Chive Beignets”

1. Kelly, you look great! Love this video!

2. Shannon says:

Awesome!! Great Job! And the beignets look amazing!!

3. These look so good! Great job on your video. It definitely looks well put together – love it :)

4. david says:

These look very delicious!!!!
    Unique description

5. Lisa~KAM says:

You are a natural! Love your voice, recipe and video. Voted!

6. Great video Kelly! I have never seen a savoury version of beignets and now I know I have got to try these! Good luck and you definitely have my vote!

7. Mariko says:

Fried cheese doughnuts!? You are speaking my language. What an awesome recipe.

8. ediblecville says:

Not only does this sound scrumptious, you’re a natural! Great job girlfriend!

9. I love your video! You look beautiful and the beignets look scrumptious. I can almost taste them just by looking at your last picture! Very nicely done and I hope you go one to the next round.

10. david says:

They look delicious! Can’t wait to try them out tomorrow and vote!

11. Karen says:

Very nice. You have a nice smile and look very comfortable in front of a camera. I love the savory beignets – such a good recipe! You’ve got my vote!

12. Could you be more charming?! No, you could not! Really love your video and you know I’m jonesing for the cheddar chive beignets. Fantastic entry, you’ve got a vote from me!

13. Mhel B says:

you dont do video? i beg to disagree. You are few of those who submitted with a great video quality. I love how you executed your dish, from the opening remarks til the end, its concise, not beating around the bush and without adding flowery statements. You made a very informative step by step instructions. It actually has the impression of a professional online cooking videos like videojug, etc. You have my vote…

14. These look AMAZING! I love your personality on camera, too!

15. Serene says:

You did great on the video, and you’re just as cute as can be. Voting now. :-)

16. So great! Your pacing is perfect and you are enjoyable to watch — Fabulous!

17. sippitysup says:

You have a very natural way in front of the camera and the “real” you (whatever that means) seems to match up with the written you. Bravo. GREG

18. Kelly,
    For someone who doesn’t have cooking on film experience you sure look like you are comfortable in front of the camera!
    Nice job~

19. Meg says:

These look AWESOME!!

20. Yummy, they look delicious! Nice video, Best of luck & continued success on the PFB!

21. You are so great on video! Very natural and the recipe is killer! Best wishes!

22. I hadn’t considered beignets savory, but what a great idea and nibbles especially for the holidays and entertaining. Great video – nicely done and you present so well.

23. Liren says:

Oh dear heavens, you had me at beignets, but savory ones? Even better! I love the spices in the batter and can’t wait to try this the next time I entertain. Your video was awesome!

24. Claudia says:

Well done – I feel like I could make those delicious concoctions now – and that’s the point.

25. I just can’t resist anything fried especially beignets, and yours look amazing. I’m getting cravings just looking at them. You did a great job in front of the camera. Good luck!

26. Saw beignets and totally had to come check it out. Voted for ya!

27. I’ve never made beignets, primarily because I hate frying stuff. But your video makes me want to try. I guess that’s the hallmark of a great cooking video. Job well done! Vote’s in. Good luck!

28. David says: