Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle

The holidays have officially arrived, and I’m in the mood for something both naughty and nice!

Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle

It is also time for another Project Food Blog ChallengeThank you, thank you, thank you all so much for helping me get this far!  I never imagined I would be participating in Challenge 8, and I am humbled and utterly amazed by your continued support and encouragement!  So, I dedicate this recipe to you. For this round the challenge is as follows:

Create a sweet or savory baked good featuring one or more of the following seasonal ingredients: Pumpkin. Whether you’re a devotee of French patisserie or you’ve got a healthy spin on baking, show us your best baked good and tell us what inspired you to create it.

Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle

Healthy spin on baking … I think not!  Tis’ the season for giving generously, indulging with abandon, and spreading good cheer, and I can do all three of those things with my Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle.  This recipe combines three of my holiday loves – cake, custard, and candy.  I will be frank with you when I say my shenanigans tend to take a decidedly evil turn toward the end of the year.  With that in mind, I see no reason not to take all three of my most beloved treats and combine then into one dessert.  So, that is what I did.  One bite was all it took to prove it was the right thing to do.

Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle

As stated above, the challenge is to create a baked item that features pumpkin, so let me tell you how I accomplished my mission.  First, there is pumpkin in the custard.  It features my own fresh pumpkin puree and is spiked with some dark rum and cinnamon to add some seasonal warmth.  It is reminiscent of pumpkin pie, but smoother and much more delicate.  My pumpkin puree also found its way into the chocolate gingerbread cake.  Pumpkin puree is wonderful in chocolate or spiced cakes to keep them tender and moist.  There is no pumpkin in my sticky toffee sauce, but the oozing caramel adds to the overall voluptuousness of the trifle.  Topped with a cloud of fluffy whipped cream it is a symphony of sin, but it tastes so nice no one will resist.

Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle        Serves 8-10

1/2 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 tablespoon butter

For the sticky toffee sauce:
1 cup packed light brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup, or corn syrup
1 cup cream

For the whipped cream:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a 9″ x 13″ pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle

In a large bowl cream together them sugar, butter, and pumpkin until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.  Add the molasses, golden syrup, vanilla, and fresh ginger and whisk to combine.

In a medium bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and spices.  Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture alternately with the hot water, starting and ending with the flour.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center, and the edges are starting to come away from the sides of the pan.  Cool completely in the pan then cut into 1″ cubes.

While the cake cools prepare the custard.  In a medium pot whisk together the milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin.  Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture just comes to the boil.  Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, butter, and rum.  Pour the custard through a fine strainer into a bowl and press cling film directly on the surface of the custard.  Chill for at least one hour.

While the cake and custard cool prepare the sticky toffee sauce.

Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle

In a 2-quart sauce pan over medium heat combine the brown sugar, butter, and golden syrup.  Cook until it comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.  Carefully add the vanilla and cook for one minute more.  Remove the pot from the heat and carefully whisk in the cream.  Cool the sauce until it is just warm.

To assemble the trifle begin by whipping the cream. In a large bowl combine the cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar.  Whip until the mixture forms soft peaks.  In a large trifle bowl, or in smaller individual bowls, add a layer of cake (you will use 1/3 to 1/2 the cake), drizzle over half the toffee sauce, and spread over half the pumpkin custard.  Repeat and top with whipped cream.  Chill the assembled trifle for at least four hours, or overnight.

Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle

Spread some holiday cheer … enjoy!

Chocolate Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

60 Responses to “Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle”

1. That last picture has me drooling. This just sounds incredible.

2. Ok, now that’s just totally evil (in a good way, of course!)

3. maria says:

Great dessert for the holiday season!

4. Evan Thomas says:

This looks AMAZING. I sure hope you make it through to the next round!

5. Healthy spin on baking – silliness! This is so delightful and happy.

6. Isabelle says:

You had me at Sticky Toffee.
    I’m all for healthy cooking, but it really has no place on the dessert table as far as I’m concerned. If I want healthy, I’ll have a piece of fruit. If I want dessert, I’ll have… ummm… three of those trifles. :)
    Good luck!

7. Tanya says:

Oh my goodness! I think my daughter and I will give this a try! I was practically drooling by the time I finished reading it. :)

8. Amazing! This is one incredible trifle, I can’t wait to try it!

9. Trifle is my all time absolute favorite holiday dessert and I never thought I would see one that I liked better than my mum’s. Until I saw this. Naughty in such a nice way. Good luck, my friend, though with an entry this good, I think you’re headed out to review a restaurant fairly soon!

10. Perfect holiday dessert. I adore sticky toffee pudding and your trifle is to die for. Good luck with challenge #8!!

11. kitchenarian says:

This looks delicious. How can you go wrong with those ingredients – gingerbread, pumpkin and toffee. Beautiful pictures.

12. That last picture made me drool! So gooey and delicious. I could just see myself scraping that bowl. Looks incredible!!!

13. JulieD says:

I’m not a pumpkin fan, can you believe it? This I would make though, it’s amazing looking and always, your photographs are superb! Good luck!

14. Fabulous!!! Beautiful photos! You have me drooling!

15. Amanda L. says:

This sounds absolutely amazing! I love anything that has to do with sticky toffee.

16. Brie says:

yum, trifles are the best! i love the flavor combinations you’ve created. your recipe looks fabulous – great job! :)

17. January says:

i’m a fan of trifles because they’re easy to assemble and always a hit with guests. your trifle looks so good and delicious i’m sure i’m gonna fall in love with it at first bite!

18. my jaw is on the floor and I’m drooling. That looks SO DELICIOUS. May just be my contribution to Christmas dinner.

19. Delishhh says:

That last picture on the fork is a winner by itself. WOW i just want to taste it so bad. Nice work.

20. Annie says:

Wow, that is decadent and over the top. I love it!

21. briarrose says:

I want it! These look incredible and beyond delicious. Pure win.

22. oh my gosh, I want to eat that right now! It looks incredible!

23. Erin says:

This looks delicious!! I’m thinking about making this soon- How much pumpkin puree should go into the chocolate gingerbread?

Erin – It is 1/2 cup

25. By far the best entry for Round 8! That last picture is just all sorts of evil and I LOVE it! I’m about ready to lick my screen now…

Good luck! Can’t wait to see you in Round 9!

26. Liesal says:

I really doubt you’re going to get any presents from Santa this year, because this recipe just looks naughty! ;)

27. Joan Nova says:

Looks like a really special dessert and I like that there’s an essence of pumpkin in all the layers. Good luck!

28. Shannon says:

Pumpkin, chocolate, caramel….I think I’m going to cry! Once again, awesome job!!

29. Omg this trifle looks good enough to die for! That last picture has sent me into a craving tailspin! What a perfect combination of flavours. You have my vote as always and good luck!

30. Becca says:

You always make everything look FABULOUS, Hon! You know that my first stop was over at the Foodblog voting site. DONE! Second on my list is finding trifle bowls that I can afford to buy, because I’m dying to try this recipe!

31. Oui, Chef says:

Oh yeah….this advances you again for sure! – S

32. Jason Phelps says:

Hanging around with you for the holidays is good AND evil all at the same time.

This really looks amazing and the 3 different treats in one is a thriller this time of year.

Good luck this week with PFB!

I just cast my first vote.

Jason

33. I can’t believe I’d never heard of trifle until this post. What is wrong with me?? Beautiful pictures – great job!

34. This looks amazingly decadent! I’m a big fan of sticky toffee, so this looks like it’s right up my alley.

35. Farrah says:

I’m bookmarking this all you had to say was toffee!

36. YUM!!! Voting for this because it follows the rules, LOOKS AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS, and I basically want to clothe myself with sticky toffee trifle on a daily basis. TMI? :)

My entry this time around is an original recipe I developed. It’s a croquemcake, or a combination croquembouche (mounted cream puff tower) and cake. I have affectionately and clumsily dubbed it a Browned Butter Pumpkin Croquemcake with White Chocolate Chai Mousse – the mousse is the surprise inside! Come see if you’d like :)

37. Mariko says:

Gooey, Sticky, Yum. What’s not to love about this? There’s a perfect bite.

38. Trifles when done correctly like yours are one of my all time favorite comfort desserts. The line that had me ” fresh pumpkin puree and is spiked with some dark rum and cinnamon to add some seasonal warmth. It is reminiscent of pumpkin pie, ” I love pumpkin as a savory dish and not at all as a sweet dish, but after reading this description I feel as though I need to make this. Well done !

Good Luck !

39. Heather says:

Holy cow!! This is truly drool-worthy.

40. stephchows says:

Oh my does that look gooey delicious!! voted!

41. sippitysup says:

I love triffle, but the idea of a sticky triffle really tempts me. I like varied texture in food! GREG

42. You know I have a trifle dish and have NEVER made a trifle. You have inspired me… this looks amazing!

43. Kris says:

This looks really, really good. The last shot on the fork sealed the deal. May I have some, please?

44. Claudia says:

This is just wonderfully original and delicious. You definitely have m vote!

45. Serene says:

I’m not a fan of chocolate or sweet pumpkin dishes, but I still want to gobble that up! Good job.

46. delicious presenttition looks yummy

47. Cake, custard and candy! Oh my! Mouthwatering creation. Must make. Nom nom nom.

48. Kimmy says:

Umm, totally evil. I’m so making this for the holidays!

49. Lisa says:

Ok, I knew a while ago, when you taught me, through your blog, how to make croissants, you were a very talented baker. I followed your recipe, and I made them, and they were good. With some more experience, they’ll be great. This competition, however, is proving that you are a real talent- every challenge has been met with thoughtfulness, professionalism and complete yumminess. You really won me right over in the video round. I wanted to hang out and cook with you after watching that! I am voting for you another time- and I feel you are a particularly strong contender in this competition. It’s amazing to see everyone’s awesome efforts, but I really, really enjoy your posts. Good luck. I’m pulling for you.

Lisa.

50. I agree! ‘Tis NOT the season for healthy baking! :)

The photo with the gooey piece of gingerbread with toffee sauce dripping down makes me drool. Mmm…

1. Tweets that mention Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 28, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by debbie koenig, Evil Shenanigans and Evil Shenanigans, Barbara Kiebel. Barbara Kiebel said: RT @bakingblog: Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle: The holidays have officially arrived! http://bit.ly/fSqIlm [...]

2. The Weekend Dish: 12/4/2010 | Brown Eyed Baker - December 4, 2010

[...] Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle (Evil Shenanigans) I love the individual trifles! This looks so pretty layered and would be the perfect end to a nice lunch or light dinner. [...]

3. Pumpkin gingerbread trifle « Jeanne Eats World - December 7, 2010

[...] saw Evil Shenanigans‘ (best blog name ever, btw) Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle on FoodGawker and had to try [...]

4. Friday Favorites – Christmas Entertaining (Episode 75) | my kitchen addiction - December 17, 2010

[...] you want to impress your friends and family, you can’t go wrong with this Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle from Evil Shenanigans. Just take a look at the photos and tell me you don’t want to dig right in! var [...]