Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

Tue, Dec 7, 2010

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

The holidays put me in the mood for cookies!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

Of course, as you may already know, I love and adore cookies.  Since it is the holidays I am in the mood for pretty cookies that taste really good.  Those kind of cookies are not only good for nibbling on as you wrap presents but for great for giving as gifts.  While thumbing through my cookie folder, and yes I do have a whole folder devoted to cookie recipes, I came across an old culinary school recipe for chocolate vanilla spirals.  They are very formal looking cookies that have a ho-hum flavor.  I knew I could do better.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

First thing I did was reformulate the cookie dough.  Yes vanilla is good, but peanut butter is WAY better, so I added peanut butter to the vanilla dough.  Next, I added more chocolate to the chocolate dough, transforming it from a mild, weak cocoa flavor to a robust bittersweet chocolate experience.  Finally, rather than having perfectly formed spirals, which are lovely I suppose, I went a little Jackson Pollock and made marble cookies instead.  They are unique and I think a little prettier than spirals, but if you want the formal look just know you can make them into spirals if you want.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies    Yield 5 dozen

For the peanut butter dough:
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble CookiesChocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

Begin by preparing the peanut butter dough.  In the work bowl of a stand mixer, or in a medium bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and peanut butter until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla, egg, and salt and mix until well combined.

In a small bowl sift together the flour and baking powder.  Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a uniform dough is formed.  Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for two hours.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

Next, prepare the chocolate dough.  In the same work bowl you used before cream together the butter, sugar, and melted chocolate until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla, egg, and salt and mix until well combined.

In a small bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.  Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a uniform dough is formed.  Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for two hours.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

Once the dough is chilled roll each of the doughs out to 1/4 inch thick rectangle.  Cut each rectangle in half.  Working with one half each of the chocolate and peanut butter dough, place the chocolate on top of the peanut butter and fold the dough in half and then in half again.  Flatten the dough, roll into a log,  fold the dough in half and flatten again.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

Roll the dough into a tight log, wrap with plastic and chill for at least two hours, or as many as three days.   Repeat with the remaining dough.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

When you are ready to bake heat the oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.   Slice the dough into 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick slices and place them 1 inch apart on the prepared sheet.  Bake for 8 – 12 minutes, or until the centers of the cookies are firm and the bottom of the cookie is golden brown.  Cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

52 Responses to “Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies”

1. Kristin King says:

Wow, absolutely stunning.

2. eatgreek.net says:

you just killed me!!! :P
    these cookies look amazing!!!!!!!!!

3. those cookies are beautiful! even if they do make me a little dizzy :)

4. Jim (oxfordfalls) says:

You did it again. swirrley goodness amped up. Nice flavor combination. Yum.

5. Pauline says:

I am in your power – give me the cookies (you know how you’re meant to be saying this!) brilliant marbling.

6. Annie says:

Those look so pretty and delicious! I never have made anything other than drop cookies and cut outs. I am going to have to try these.

7. Evan Thomas says:

Those are marbled to perfection. Yum!

8. OMG !! look at those marblelous cookies !!! I love making cookies, I’ll try to make them in few short time :)))

9. ooooh, these look super cool!

10. Roxan says:

Wow, I am so taken back by how beautiful these cookies are! The marbling is so striking. I bet the flavorful is just as powerful.

11. These are beautiful! Like little pieces of art…and flavors are perfect.

12. They’re so pretty! I never knew you could do anything like this with cookies. I must try it!

13. Evan@swEEts says:

Perfect little marbled cookies.. And yes, peanut butter was a good choice :) Happy cookie baking!

14. These are officially brilliant!

15. how utterly gorgeous. Wonderful work, as always!

16. These look so great, and I’m a huge fan of anything chocolate and peanut butter!

17. I agree….way better than swirls!!

18. Ilke says:

Really cool looking, different cookies. I like that it yields 5 dozen, that puts this recipe on the Christmas baking weekend menu ! :)

19. briarrose says:

What a beautiful swirl. Excellent job.

20. Debbie says:

Uh-Oh! These cookies look like trouble in my house, they would quickly disappear! Love the marbles look as well, thanks!

21. Jason Phelps says:

I have to admit that I didn’t read the recipe. I was mesmerized by the patterns on the cookies. I wandered off feeling like I might have been on something….

Jason

22. Wow these look gorgeous, and if I know, they probably taste great! Thanks for sharing :)

23. Joy says:

Those look really good. I love anything with peanut butter and chocolate.

24. SimplyGed says:

Mmmm. They do look nice, but I do have problems with converting your ingredient quantities. Any chance you could post in US and Metric measures?

25. These look wonderful! I love all things marbled… I’m not sure why, but I do!

26. C&C Cakery says:

I think you’re absolutely right – the marbled look really catches the eye. I can’t wait to try this recipe out. Thank you for experimenting and sharing!

27. OOOOO, I do really like the marble look, it is really pretty and these cookies also look super tasty!

28. Alice says:

The marbled effect is really lovely and you don’t need m’s to tell you what a great combination chocolate and peanut butter is!

29. oh wow, these look great! great post!

30. Peggy says:

These cookies are absolutely stunning! Love the marbled unique look of them!

31. SKM says:

You are one of my go-to blogs for cookie recipes. These are a piece of art!

32. Cindy says:

I’m mesmerized by the cookies!

33. Kristen says:

My chocolate mixture is much wetter than the peanut butter one… I hope they still work out! In the fridge now for 2 hours!

Kristen – if the dough is too soft try kneading in a little flour.

35. Those cookies are a work of art. I am also a passionate cookie person. I love your marbling technique. Thanks for sharing.
    Here is another wonderful marbled chocolate and peanut butter creation.

36. Dana says:

these cookies look so delicious..thank you for sharing this with us..
    Happy holidays!!

37. Ann says:

I made these and sadly, the flavor just wasn’t that great. I couldn’t really taste the chocolate, either. And I so want to find a recipe that incorporates both rich flavors without one overpowering the other.

Ann – I am so sorry that you did not enjoy these cookies.

39. These look incredible. I much prefer the Jackson Pollock approach to boring uniform spirals.

40. Tates says:

These cookies are incredible. Good informative blog with recipes. Useful blog.

41. these look excellent and so pretty with the chocolate marble swirls. chocolate and peanut butter are an excellent combination so I wouldn’t doubt these were amazing.
    THanks so much for sharing, I love your blog.

42. Tara says:

I made these for my uncle’s birthday. They turned out great! I loved the marbling effect.

43. Kyra says:

I made these cookies today, and was a bit frustrated. Like most everybody who has commented on this blog…. The cookies are gorgeous! Sadly, after I started the recipe, I found the directions a bit confusing. “Fold in half and flatten”. Isn’t very descriptive, and the pictures don’t help either. Which direction should I have folded? Flatten to how thick? Sadly, my cookies didn’t turn out marbled at all, one is brown, as I kept trying to figure out what to do, and the other is so loose that I couldn’t even figure out how to get it to stick together as I didn’t want it to turn brown like the other one.
    As for the taste, I’ve only sampled the dough ;-)

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - December 7, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans and Janice Lawandi, An. An said: I want!! RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies! http://bit.ly/i27Ecw [...]

2. White House Gingerbread Cookies | Walter's Greasy Spoon - December 7, 2010

[...] “Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies” and related posts (evilshenanigans.com) [...]

3. Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - December 15, 2010

[...] that everything will be ok, nothing is that bad, and I can cope.  My flavor of the moment is chocolate and peanut butter.  It is really, really working for me, so I took those flavors and made chewy, moist, deeply [...]

4. Indias Hotels » Blog Archive » Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies - December 22, 2010

[...] I have yet another cookie post, an amazing recipe booked marked from Evil Shananigans. A buttery and fragrant marble cookie that makes for a perfect holiday treat. For a more detailed [...]

5. Chocolate Peanut Butter Marble Cookies » Cook.Yaw.IN - February 20, 2011

6. sugarcoatedbliss.com » Blog Archive » cookies with a wow factor - January 4, 2012

[...] Source:  Evil Shenanigans [...]