Chorizo Dip

I find when guests come to visit that a good dip can make the evening.

Chorizo Dip

I’m not sure what it is exactly about dip that is so enticing, but I do know that a good dip recipe, or two, can be a life saver.  Perhaps it is the communal aspect of dips, the fact that they force interaction, that make them not only a great party nibble but an activity everyone can enjoy!  I decided that I needed more warm dips in my life.  It goes with out saying that if they included chorizo it would be a very good thing indeed.

Chorizo Dip

I can not begin to tell you how popular this dip was with my family.  It was part of my annual Christmas Snack Buffet and was half devoured before I served brunch.  Not kidding.  What this delivers is hearty flavor from the chorizo combined with the rich creaminess of the cheese.  Spread on crackers it is delightful.  Dipped onto a tortilla chip and it is nothing short of miraculous, like the best nachos you ever tasted.  You can amp up the heat with a few dashes of hot sauce, or cayenne pepper, mixed into the cheese.  I did not add those since some of my loved ones prefer mild treats, but rest assured when I make it again I will go for the kick!

Chorizo Dip     Serves 8

1/3 cup Mexican chorizo
1/2 cup onion
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cumin
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons butter, melted

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a small baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Chorizo Dip

In a small pot over medium heat add the chorizo.  Cook until all the fat is rendered and the meat is browned, about 8 minutes.

Chorizo Dip Chorizo Dip

Drain the meat on paper towels and return to the pot along with the onion and red pepper.  Cook until the onions and peppers are softened, about three minutes.  Add the jalapeno, garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about one minute.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

Chorizo Dip Chorizo Dip Chorizo Dip

In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth.  Fold in the cheddar cheese, then add the chorizo mixture and mix thoroughly.

Chorizo Dip Chorizo Dip

Pour the mixture into the prepared dish.  In a small bowl toss the panko, paprika and butter until evenly coated.  Spread evenly on the dip.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown on top.  Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Chorizo Dip

Chorizo Dip

© 2010 – 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Chorizo Dip”

1. Dips really are a life saver – especially if you’re entertaining! Thanks for sharing this!

2. Straight out of the mouth of my husband… “You should make that, it looks good.” Guess I’ll have to oblige. ;)

3. Jun says:

I’ve never tried this, but this looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing!

4. Alicia says:

This looks delicious! But what is bad when it has cheese and chorizo?? I forwarded this post to my mom. She also believes very strongly in a warm dip as a party of a snack buffet! :)

5. mmm i can tell from the picture that this must have been sooo good.. too bad sending some across the continent doesn’t sound like the best idea..

6. Trish says:

YUM. My brother is a chorizo addict so I’m going to have to make this for him!

7. RavieNomNoms says:

What a great dip to have for people to munch on!

8. I am a dip-kinda gal! I think it has something to do with my eternal love of cream cheese! Great recipe!

9. briarrose says:

You had me at chorizo. ;) It looks just wonderful. Dips are always so much fun.

10. Isabelle says:

Dips are indeed a hostess’ best friend. I don’t know how many times they’ve saved my bacon when guests have arrived a little early for a party and need something to distract them while I do my frantic last-minute preparations. :)
    Hot dips are especially awesome, and the flavour combination in this one sounds divine. Adding this one to the must-try file!

11. Evan@swEEts says:

It’s like buffalo chicken dip with chorizo! I love it..my boyfriend loves chorizo so I’ll definitely have to try it- I can see why it would be eaten so quickly!

12. Peggy says:

I bet this dip was absolutely delicious! Sounds like a real hit!

13. Oh, yum…I love chorizo.

14. Kamsgirl says:

Cant wait to make this for my family !

15. This would certainly be a tasty dip!

16. I LOVE chorizo, and to think of adding it to a dip? Oh. My. Gosh. This looks delicious!

17. Wow… I’m not even really sure what to say about this other than that it looks fabulous!

18. Wow, my hubby would die and go to heaven if I made him this. We’re both chorizo addicts.

19. Caroline says:

Do you think this could be made the night before (sans-panko) and baked prior to serving? Or would that be gross?

Caroline – Absolutely you can make it ahead, sans topping. I made it two days ahead of Christmas and baked it off Christmas morning. It was perfect.

21. Ashley says:

i made this dip yesterday for thanksgiving and it is AMAZING! Thank you for the recipe. It was such a hit that it went in a matter of minutes! i will be making this over and over.

22. Bre says:

Well this looks kind of nasty! I am going to my Mamaws for Christmas and i am good at maing chorizo! I am going saute’ peppers, tomato, a little onion with garlic and chorizo sausage! Then get some dried croutins for dipping! Just experiment but sometimes in turns out gross! Usally with me it does! Hahah:]

1. Tweets that mention Fresh Shenanigans - Chorizo Dip!! -- Topsy.com - December 27, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oxford Falls and Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Chorizo Dip: I find when guests come to visit that a good dip can make the evening. I’m not sure what it is exac… http://bit.ly/fY6d63 [...]

2. » 25 Easy Snacks for New Years and Beyond - December 28, 2010

[...] Chorizo Dip [...]

3. Hungry. All the time. « Baking with Buttermilk - February 7, 2011

[...] of control–it was Superbowl Sunday after all! I made BBQ Chicken Quesadillas, guacamole, Chorizo Queso dip, mini Monkey Breads (the Boy calls them Monkey Bites–copyright worthy, no?!)  and decadent [...]

4. Looking for a great dip recipe? « sophisticatedsquire - November 18, 2011

[...] few weeks back, we had a dip-making competition at work, and it seems my cheesy chorizo dip was among the most popular! There were some mouthwatering dips represented: jalapeno popper DIP [...]

5. 25 Easy Snacks for New Years and Beyond « Appetizers And Snacks « - January 15, 2012

[...] Chorizo Dip [...]