Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Wed, Dec 15, 2010

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

Let’s just get this out of the way.  I need cookies.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Something about a cookie just makes me feel, when the stress of the season threatens to be my undoing, that everything will be ok, nothing is that bad, and I can cope.  My flavor of the moment is chocolate and peanut butter.  It is really, really working for me, so I took those flavors and made chewy, moist, deeply chocolate cookies studded with peanut buttery chips.   They are a revelation, and far better, and cheaper, than therapy.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

These cookies store very well.  In an air-tight container on the counter you can get five days out of them.  Stored in a zip-top bag in the freezer they last for two months, and if you scoop out the dough and freeze it before baking you can store the cookies for three months.  You can bake them from frozen, just add an extra minute of two to the cooking time.   Remember, a little under-baked is preferable to over-baked with these cookies, so after ten minutes in the oven they are most likely done.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies        Yield 5 dozen

8 ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs, cold
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 – 12 ounce bags peanut butter chips

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy but not fluffy.  Add the vanilla, salt, and melted chocolate and beat on medium-low speed until thoroughly incorporated.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.   Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.  Add the peanut butter chips and mix to distribute evenly.

Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared sheet pans.  Bake for 10 to 11 minutes, or until the cookies are puffed and just set at the edges.  Do not over-bake.  Cool on the pan for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies”

1. RavieNomNoms says:

Looks amazing! I bet those cookies are just outstanding!

2. these are insane…how could you not feel comforted and happy with these!?

3. I love the combination of dark chocolate and peanut butter! Your cookies look fantastic with the peanut butter chips. Thanks for sharing.

4. Lauren says:

Wowsers. We all need cookies in our life :) I think I want to lick my computer screen right now!

5. Annie says:

Those look so good! Chewy cookies are the my favorite but when they’re chocolate and peanut butter they really hit the spot!

6. Evan Thomas says:

Yum! A classic flavor combo that never gets old. I love the abundance of whole chocolate in this recipe :-) Using just cocoa powder doesn’t do the flavor justice some times.

7. Joy says:

Those look great.

8. Roxan says:

These look delicious! Anything with peanut butter and chocolate gets a huge yes from me. Is it wrong that I just want to reach into the dough in this photo (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5086/5262090131_9b5d7f6dbe_m.jpg) and eat handfuls of it???

9. Thanks for sharing Kelly, I can’t wait to try these!

10. briarrose says:

Cookies make everything better. ;) Man these look sinfully good. Peanut butter and delicious chocolate..lovely.

11. Michelle says:

Dark chocolate AND peanut butter? Delicious.

12. Mmm mmm, I can’t believe I’ve never made cookies like these before. So good!

13. Kim-Liv Life says:

MMm!!! Dark chocolate, peanut butter and cookie…. you have a winner!!

14. These look amazing and are making me very hungry! Chocolate and peanut butter is my all time favorite combo!

15. maria says:

YUM! I have to make these and soon!

16. Simply Life says:

Oh my gosh! these look iiiiincredible!

17. I make a similar cookie but hadn’t thought of peanut butter chips- If you haven’t tried that dark chocolate cocoa powder that King Arthur makes you should add it to these cookies. It takes them over the top!

18. i only got three words :) to die for.

19. Kita says:

My dad makes something like this every year for Christmas. These and his chocolate chip cookies and I am set. Without them I don’t know if I would be able to open present!
    Yourse look super yummy!

20. Yum! I have a bag of peanut butter chips in my pantry just waiting for these cookies. I love chocolate and peanut butter.

21. Perfect, seriously. Cleaning out pantry, found some PB chips and then you post this my dear. Did I say perfect?

22. These are Evil-Laugh-ing at me! Love this recipe!

23. These look delicious! Chocolate and peanut butter is the best combination ever. I am loving that snowflake bowl of yours too.

24. I bet my son would love these cookies!! Peanut butter and chocolate you can’t go wrong with that! Delicious looking!!

25. Culinarian says:

These really look sinful! I just might have to try these out.

1. Tweets that mention Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - December 15, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Barbara Kiebel and Pamela, Brian Samuels. Brian Samuels said: RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies! http://bit.ly/fmVjej […]

2. Easier Than Falling Off a Log » Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies - January 2, 2011

[…] come from an absolutely massive recipe from Evil Shenanigans. I halved it and still had around 30 cookies. It halved perfectly except that the original recipe […]

3. Recent Recipes | MichiGirls - September 20, 2011

[…] Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies from Evil Shenanigans When I lived in the dorms at the University of Michigan, I always was a fan of the chocolate peanut butter chip cookies the cafeterias had and this recipe is as close to those cookies as I remember. Warning! These are highly addictive and this recipe makes a lot of cookies! We froze a dozen or so and they should come back to life nicely in the toaster oven. […]

4. Christmas 2012 Baking | MichiGirls - January 16, 2013