Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes

I am  a sucker for just about anything strawberry.

Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes

We have reached that time of year where I start to crave all things Spring.  Knowing it it just around the corner makes me anxious for its arrival.  The weather here in Dallas is already starting to get warmer, and when things like strawberries start to become more affordable at the market, even though they are not truly in season, I find I can’t resist.  I need a little spring to carry me through these last few weeks of winter.

Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes

I began by creating a fluffy, rich white chocolate mousse made with some good quality white chocolate.  Please, do not skimp here.  Just like you would not cook with wine you would not drink, please do not bake with chocolate you would not eat.  The crepes in this recipe are tender, moist, and lightly sweet.  Their mild flavor does not compete with the mousse, it enhances it.  The strawberries were not terribly sweet, they never are in February, so I coated them in sugar and a hint of vanilla which made them much, much better.  Fresh strawberries and white chocolate mousse nestled inside some buttery crepes … what could be better?.

Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes        Serves 8-10

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup milk, 2% or higher
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Begin by preparing the mousse.  In a medium sauce pan combine the milk, cornstarch, sugar, and egg yolk.  Whisk until well mixed.  Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until it thickens and comes to a simmer, about ten minutes.

Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse CrepesStrawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes

Turn off the heat and add the vanilla, butter, and white chocolate.  Stir until completely melted then pour the mixture through a strainer into a separate bowl.  Cover with plastic and chill for at least four hours, or overnight.

In a small bowl combine the gelatin with the water.  Let stand for ten minutes to bloom.  Once bloomed melt in the microwave for ten seconds.  Let cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl combine the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Beat until it thickens.  Gradually pour in the gelatin while still whisking.  Beat until it forms medium peaks.  Fold the whipped cream into the white chocolate base in three additions.  Cover and chill for one hour.

Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes

While the mousse chills prepare the crepes.  In a medium bowl combine the cake flour, all-purpose flour, and the sugar until evenly mixed.  Set aside.

In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla.  Add the milk and whisk to mix.

Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until smooth.  Cover and chill for thirty minutes.

While the batter chills combine the strawberries with the sugar and vanilla.  Toss to coat, cover with plastic and chill until ready to use.

Once the batter has chilled heat an 8-inch crepe pan, or small non-stick skillet, over medium heat.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray and pour about 1/4 to 1/3  cup of the batter into the center of the pan.  Immediately swirl the pan to evenly distribute the batter in the pan.  Cook until the crepe is just turning golden brown on the bottom, about 1 to 2 minutes, then flip the crepe and cook for 30 seconds to one minute more, or until the crepe is lightly golden and cooked through.  Transfer to a plate and layer the cooked crepes between sheets of parchment paper.  Cool to room temperature.

To assemble spread about 1/2 cup of the mousse into the center of the crepe.  Top with the strawberries.  Roll the crepes into a tube and then dust with powdered sugar.

Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes

Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

60 Responses to “Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes”

1. katerina says:

Beautiful! How you can stuff a crepe and still have it looking some pretty amazes me.

2. Cakewhiz says:

Omggggg…. This looks sooooo good! I love everything about these crepes: the frwsh strawberries, the mousse, the way they look! Awesome work :)

3. RavieNomNoms says:

That looks so amazing! It really does…I can’t wait til strawberries are in season here!

4. sippitysup says:

You live in TX (right?) and I live in CA. So spring comes early (usually Feb.) so this is just right!

5. Felice says:

Just two words – yes please!

6. Evan Thomas says:

Great recipe! Who doesn’t strawberry and white chocolate please?

7. shabunam says:

Mmmmmmm , Strawberries !!! These crepes look gorgeous .

8. These would be so good with a cup of coffee for breakfast, or great for sweet ending to a dinner.

9. White chocolate mousse might be my favorite dessert food – these look amazing!

10. These crepes look downright fantastic! Pass the plate this way please… :)

11. These sound fabulous!! Crepes are amazing! But I’ve never had them filled with a scrumptious mousse. I’ve got to give these a whirl

12. Christina says:

I’ve been craving springtime tastes too! These strawberry crepes look like just the thing to satisfy it! Beautiful pictures too!

13. Maggie says:

This looks amazing! I love crepes but I’ve never tried making them on my own. I’m bookmarking this for a weekend breakfast at some point!

14. Kankana says:

super like! am drooling…

15. visda says:

could I have a long weekend again to have these crepes for brunch?!
    gorgeous pictures. Thanks for sharing.

16. Oh I died a little reading this!

17. Liz says:

Exquisite crepes…that’s got to be my favorite flavor combination: white chocolate and berries!!! Just stunning~

18. Jenn says:

I’m going to make these tomorrow morning. Excellent work!

19. Kita says:

I’ve never had a real crepe, but these make me want to hunt one down and try one!

20. Jun says:

(White) Chocolate and berries!!! I love those! I’m tempted to lick my computer screen…

21. Dang… your blog name couldn’t be better for a post like this… these look dangerously delicious!!

22. Peggy says:

What gorgeous crepes! This definitely looks like a great little treat! And I’m getting that spring-itch too!

23. Medeja says:

They look delicious. Light and lovely dessert :)

24. Looks amazing! So gorgeously vibrant and beautiful. I am awaiting Spring as eagerly as you! :-p Gosh dang, these look so good!

25. Lauren says:

Well these look nothing short of fantastic! I love the white chocolate & strawberry combo, and anything in a crepe is fine by me :).

26. It so funny your post came up just as I finished making my cherry crepes in honor of George Washington.

These look awesome, I love strawberries and the white chocolate just takes this to another level.

I’ll have to give the mousse a try.

Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

27. Tammy says:

This is a really delgihtful post! Very lovely pictures too!
    I love crepes and these sound fantastic!

xx,
    Tammy

28. I’m a sucker for the same and then you go and add white chocolate and crepes. Looks fabulous and as always just beautiful photos.

29. Holy yumminess! WOW! I’m speechless… and I sighed in contentment as I envisioned these little beauties at my breakfast table.

30. Dulce Dough says:

Oh my goodness! These look so yummy! Love dessert crepes!

31. briarrose says:

So lovely. The strawberries…they call to me.

32. Ooooooh, those look scrumptious.

33. I’ve been thinking about these ever since you first mentioned them on Twitter… Send a plate my way, please! :)

34. i says:

Seriously?!?!?! I think I’m going to pass out!! This looks divine. OMG! – Katrina

35. Kezia says:

You are my hero! Those look and sound fantastic. I have been dying for a proper crepe, and after seeing this I have decided there is no reason I cant make them myself. Thank You.

36. Michelle says:

These would definitely make the snow on the ground a little easier to take for me. I’m also craving Spring!

37. F says:

Drooling!
    Is it necessary to use the gelatin?

38. OMG, the weather here is still chilli, that is why I am more eager for spring. But your strawberry white chocolate mouse crepes made me even more eager for spring to arrive. The picture is excellent, can I get some tips on taking pictures please :)

39. Tricia N says:

These look beautiful. I have been wanting to make crepes for weeks. I have to admit, I’m afraid! When you say…”flip”.. how exactly did you accomplish that? With a kitchen tool or the flick of the pan…help!

40. STUNNING! I love white chocolate I think I know what I’m making next time guest come over :)

41. Rachel says:

I’m a sucker for strawberries, too! The title alone had me drooling. And then I saw the picture. And then I saw more pictures, and now I need a bib! These are absolutely gorgeous and sound perfect any time of the day!

42. Alex says:

Question!

Okay this might be stupid one, but what’s the point of having both eggs and egg yolks and having both cake and all-purpose flour in the crepes?

Alex – Cake flour has less gluten so it helps keep the crepes tender, while the AP flour has more gluten, which helps the crepes stay thin and strong. As for eggs, the yolks provide more flavor and color, so you add more of them for those reasons.

44. Oh yum!! I just bought home some strawberries, but no white chocolate, or I’d be off making these immediately!!

45. Erin A. says:

These sound SO good! I just created/made a White Chocolate Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake and posted it this past weekend! Im all about that combo right now!

46. Victoria says:

Hiii. I’m in the process of making the mousse right now! I just made the part where I have to leave it in the fridge for 4 hours – overnight. I was wondering if I can make the entire mousse today and leave it in the fridge tomorrow so all I have to do tomorrow is make the crepes? Thankkyouu!

Victoria – Absolutely! You can certainly make the mousse the day before. You can also make the crepes the day before and just gently reheat, wrapped in towels, in the oven! Good luck!

48. Victoria says:

The crepes mixtures is sitting in my fridge now. But I made the mousse yesterday and it came out watery! =( How long did I have to whisk the mixture to thicken? Oh well I hope it still tastes yummy!

49. Jessica says:

Wow! I ran across your blog today randomly through twitter and I cant wait to explore it more! Crepes have always seemed daunting to make, but these you made look so good I’m going to have to try. Now following via email, thanks!

1. Tweets that mention Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - February 22, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oxford Falls, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Katerina, Barbara Kiebel and others. Barbara Kiebel said: Beautiful Kelly. RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Strawberry and White Chocolate Mousse Crepes – http://bit.ly/gdESZs [...]

2. STRAWBERRY WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CREPES | must try recipes! - February 23, 2011

[...] http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2011/02/strawberry-white-chocolate-mousse-crepes/ [...]

3. Saturday Surfing | | - May 4, 2011

[...] Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse Crepes [...]

4. Banana White Chocolate Mousse Cake « Bashfulbao - May 2, 2012

[...] Mousse adapted from Evil Shenanigans [...]

5. 25 Easy and Delicious Mother’s Day Recipes - May 6, 2013

[...]  Strawberry White Chocolate Mouse Crepes {Mother’s Day recipe} ~ Treat mom to something special for breakfast this Mother’s Day.  These strawberry white [...]

6. strawberry white chocolate mousse crepes. My husband's favorite. | Dreamy Blog - May 20, 2013

[...] A taste of this is like a bomb that would explode inside your mouth! That’s the great surprise that you can give yourself! Definitely you would enjoy that experience! The tingling sensation would make you want this dish all over again! You’ll love this dish!Credits to the source [...]