Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies

Wed, Mar 9, 2011

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

The last few days have been a roller coaster ride for me.

Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies

The biggest positive of the week …

Everything Pie is written!!  Going in I knew writing a book would be a challenge, but it was more difficult than I expected.  The rewards of this experience are numerous, but the biggest lessons I take away from it are that I am more dedicated, disciplined, and creative than I ever thought.   The big news now is that the publisher has asked me to do the photography for the book.  I will be photographing 15 to 20 of the pies for a modest little color insert.  I am so excited and ready to get started!

Now for the negative …

My Great Aunt Ruby is sick and in the hospital.  Her health has not been great for the last few years, and a few days ago she had an episode that required emergency care.  Growing up I would spend my summers with her and my grandmother, and they are some of the best times of my childhood.  She is an amazing cook, her fried chicken is the stuff of legend, so it is safe to say some of my fondest food memories come from her 1950’s era mint green and black kitchen.  I love her very much, and if you are so inclined please send some good thoughts and prayers her way.

Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies

Ruby is fond of coconut.  She always had  a German Chocolate Cake in her aluminum cake box and Martha Washington candy for the holidays. You see, when she served something with coconut it inevitably included chocolate.  With that in mind I set about making some cookies.  These have intense chocolate flavor from the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and chocolate chunks.  The coconut element comes in the form of toasted, unsweetened coconut.  The toasted coconut adds a nutty finish to the cookies and oddly cuts some of the richness.  If you can not find unsweetened you can use regular sweetened, but reduce the sugar by a couple of tablespoons.  I think Ruby would approve of these cookies, and when she is ready for a visit I plan to take her some.

Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies     Yield 4 dozen

2/3 cup unsweetened coconut (if using sweetened decrease the white sugar to 3 tablespoons)
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg, fridge cold
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 ounces chocolate chunks

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Spread the coconut evenly on one of the prepared baking sheets.  Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the coconut is golden brown and fragrant.  Cool to room temperature.

Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies

Place the chopped chocolate into the bowl of a double boiler.  Heat, stirring frequently, until melted.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

In a medium bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, salt, and vanilla.  Beat until creamy then add the egg and mix until well blended.

Add the melted chocolate and mix until completely incorporated, then add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.  Mix well then add chocolate chunks and toasted coconut and mix until evenly combined.

Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets by the rounded tablespoon.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed all over and set at the edges.  Cool on the pan for five minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies

Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Double Dark Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies”

1. Those are some highs and lows! Hang in there.

2. maria says:

These cookies are calling my name!

3. Congrats on the book! I can’t wait to see it!

My prayers are with your great aunt. Martha Washington candy is an oldie but goodie!

4. These look fabulous. I love the toasting of the cocoanut. Can’t wait to try these!

5. brandi says:

definitely sending good thoughts and prayers her way :)

congrats on the book!!!

6. RavieNomNoms says:

Oh my lord that looks really really good! Dark chocolate is my favorite so this is just callllling to me!

7. Tiffany says:

I am sorry to hear about your aunt!!! And congrats on the book!!!!

8. shabunam says:

Congratz on the book and I am sorry to hear about your aunt , our prayers are with you .

9. Man I love chocolate with coconut. But then again, I love chocolate with everything…

10. visda says:

first of all congrats for your book. that’s a huge achievement.
    I hope your aunt gets better soon. I’m sure you keep her happy with these gorgeous cookies. I save your recipe for my monday treats. thanks for sharing.

11. So excited about the book, and am sorry to hear about your aunt. The best thing about food is that it shares so many emotions and has so many deep connections, which is exactly what I think these cookies are all about.

12. Mjfluke says:

Where does the 1/4 c cocoa powder come in? I can’t see where you added it. Sorry about your loved one’s illness. I hope she gets well quickly so she can enjoy these delicious sounding cookies. Coconut makes everything taste better.

13. First, I had no doubt of your ability to get it done…oh Yee of Little Faith…but you did and I’m sure if your sweet aunt is made of the same resolve she will plow through this period equally fine. You and Ruby have both..my good thought and prayers for her strength and healing. You take good care of you too!

14. So sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope she gets well soon. These cookies are insane- so much chocolate! Definitely bookmarking. :)

15. Karly says:

Sorry to hear about your Aunt Ruby! Praying for her!

Congrats on finishing up the cookbook!

16. Isabelle says:

Gosh, that does sound like quite the roller coaster! I’m hoping your aunt recovers very soon, so that she can celebrate your book’s completion with you (and so she can have some of those wonderful cookies… if those aren’t an incentive to get better, then I don’t know what is). Keeping you in my thoughts tonight.

17. Congrats on finishing the book! And lots of thoughts for your family!

18. Kankana says:

DOUBLE DARK .. nothing can beat those cookies ..

19. Definitely an up and down week. I’ll be sending good thoughts your way.

20. Sending lots of good vibes to your aunt!

And the cookies look amazing. I can’t wait to try them.

21. Lisa L says:

Just finished going through the manuscript yesterday. It looks great! Will call about the photos soon.

22. Liz says:

Your cookies look fabulous! Congrats on your book…SO exciting!!! And I will say a prayer for your aunt Ruby…

23. G Martin says:

Congratulations on the new book. I also wish your great-aunt a speedy recovery.

24. Congrats on the book- looks delish!

25. briarrose says:

So much chocolatey goodness. Yum!

26. I can’t wait to see your book… If I could pre-order today, I totally would. I know your photos will be stunning, too!

These cookies look great! I’ll be thinking of you and your family… Hope your aunt is doing much better soon.

27. Great news and not great news in this post. Sending healing vibes to Great Aunt Ruby xoxo

I am not ready to eat rich food just yet myself but when I am, you can be sure that something along these lines will be on the menu!

CAN NOT WAIT for your book!

28. Congrats on the book. These look so super chocolatey… Wow. And I love the step by step photos. Great post!

29. Lisa says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your Aunt Ruby–she’s the one you always visit in Houston, right? Though congrats on finishing your book–that must feel terrific! Can’t wait to see it.

30. Erin A. says:

These sound great! I just made Double Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting…guess it’s Double Chocolate month LOL.

Posted mine on my blog if you are interested :)

31. Doesn’t this just prove that with the highs, always come the lows? Congrats on the book, I’m so excited for it and you. Sending along some prayers.

The cookies look awesome, I love chocolate + coconut. Bookmarked and stumbled :)

32. These cookies look chewy and delicious. A few of these warm cookies with a tall glass of milk would make me a happy girl!

33. Gwenevere says:

Writing a book is NOT easy, I’ve tried. I got 10,000 words into and realized I was not where I wanted to be and it’s been more than difficult to go back and fix it, so WOW congratulations. I think that is one of the greatest accomplishments EVER.

These cookies look pretty great too. Chocolate and coconut are my friends. Well not right now-cuz I’m on a crazy restricted diet – but when I’m not we get along just fine.