Gooey Chocolate Coconut Bars

I think I may have a little-itty-bitty problem.

Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars

It is not a serious problem, but it is a little consuming.  I can’t seem to stop craving chocolate and coconut.  With that said, please excuse me for yet another chocolate and coconut dessert.  I pinky-swear that the next few desserts will be sans coconut, and I am pretty sure pinky-swears are legally binding.  What is really funny about this dessert is I was thinking of the composition of lemon bars when I came up with it.  I wanted a sturdy base topped with a silky layer of coconut chocolate goodness.

Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars

For a change of pace, and to give these bars a less intense flavor, I used natural cocoa powder rather than Dutch-processed.  I like the fruity notes of natural cocoa here because it pairs so well with coconut.  The best advice I can give you for these bars is this: do not over-bake them.  They need to be set at the sides but jiggly in the center.  Trust me, things will firm up after cooling.  If you wait for the center to firm up in the oven the edges will become hard as a rock … I speak from (very sad) experience.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Bars    Serves 8

4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8″x8″ square pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the sides, and spray the paper with non-stick cooking spray.

Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars

In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar until evenly combined.  Add the butter, egg, vanilla, and almond extract and mix until the mixture forms a stiff dough.

Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars

Carefully press the dough evenly into the prepared pan.  Set aside.

Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars

For the topping, cream together the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl until smooth.  Add egg and mix well, then add the cocoa powder and vanilla and mix until well blended.  Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth then fold int he coconut.

Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars

Spread the topping evenly over the base then bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the edges are just set and the center is a little wobbly.  Cool for 40 minutes in the pan before lifting out and slicing.

Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars

Gooey Coconut Chocolate Bars

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Gooey Chocolate Coconut Bars”

1. Those look delicious – I love chocolate and coconut together, so I don’t mind having a million recipes featuring both :)

I am obsessed with chocolate and coconut too. Can’t wait to try these!

3. Katerina says:

Yum! I always crave peanut butter and coconut.

I love your pictures, the white background really helps draw the focus.

4. I’m in love with this combo, too! These look amazing!

5. No problem the me ;) these are incredible!

6. These sound amazing! I’m a big fan of the chocolate and cocnut combo, so I’m all good with these :)

7. fooddreamer says:

You had me at gooey. And chocolate and coconut didn’t hurt either! These look amasing and I instantly saved them to my favourites.

8. RavieNomNoms says:

::drools:: you are killing me! If I hadn’t of given up all sweets for Lent I would be making these tomorrow!

9. Chocolate and coconut… DROOL!

10. They look delicious, so I will forgive your addiction.

11. I love chocolate and coconut!! These bars look heavenly!!

12. As long as you pinky-swear this will be the last coconut recipe for awhile ;> I’m not a coconut fan but I could make this for my poor husband who never gets any coconut desserts. He would love them because they sound like German chocolate cake on top of brownies.

13. Erin A says:

Looks delish! I looove coconut and chocolate! Gotta finish these peanut butter cupcakes with pb&j frosting (yes I really did make frosting that tastes like that lol) that i posted today and then perhaps I’ll make these! YUMMO!

14. briarrose says:

Wow these look good. I must make….then eat…I might share…maybe. ;)

15. Kankana says:

you don’t have to stop craving for those!! I mean how can you ?? they look soo tempting…

16. Coconut and chocolate – I could eat this and die happy :)

17. Liz says:

You ARE evil…these I can’t resist!!!!

18. You’re craving coconut because the Easter bunny is on his way soon! :)

19. RLV says:

Oh. My. Gah.

I need to make this. I just made a batch of brownies and I’m supposed to be on a diet. But I just love chocolate too much. And coconut?! Shut up.

Thanks lady!

RLV @ { bittensweetblog.com }

20. Yum! I love chocolate and coconut together. I say keep ‘em coming :)

21. carine says:

Coconut and chocolate are definitely a great combination. I love them both so much..

22. Yum, yum, yum. The first candy bar I ever fell in love with was a Mounds Bar back when I was 12. I would sneak off to the store and buy and eat up to 3 of them a day. I don’t have much more self control all of these years later, but I favor homemade baked treats. These look divine.

23. These look dangerously good… I was already craving chocolate before I saw this post, and now I’m ravishingly hungry. I’m off to go see if I have all of the ingredients in the pantry. :)

24. justcooknyc says:

the texture looks amazing on these

25. Marye says:

This may be a little problem with you..but you have created a big problem for me. :P

26. My-oh-my-oh-my….those look TOO GOOD! I was just thinking of baking something. Must try!

27. Joy says:

That looks so good. Yum.

28. OMG I can totally relate – I was going through the same coconut obsession. Actually, it’s pretty much a constant battle haha. Anyway glad to see I’m not alone, and these look A-MAZING!!!!

29. Kita says:

These look ooey and gooey alright. Lately Ive been digging coconut in things. These bars sound like a great snack to me!

30. Emily says:

I am having the same problem. On a whim last weekend I made chocolate and coconut cookies. I cannot get enough. Thse are definitely sinful!

31. sarah says:

Ah-mazing! I love that you used natural cocoa, it has such a great flavor! Lovely pictures too.

32. Molly says:

I don’t usually like coconut, but tried this recipe and loved it. Thanks!

33. Oh my! These look absolutely sinful. Going to try them this week!

34. I am looking forward to tasting the natural cocoa in these. Great tips thanks!

35. Oh my GOSH these look good! :)

36. Pat says:

What could be wrong with my two favorite food groups together? Chocolate and Coconut. I have a 3rd favorite, Pecans…..That would make them Absolute Perfection!

37. Suzan says:

i think i just died and went to heaven!!!! i wish i was a good baker!!! If i made these they would just burn :(

38. Valarie says:

I added chopped almonds between layers. A fabulous, delicious brownie!! Thanks for sharing!!

1. Almond Joy Cupcakes | - April 16, 2013

[…] Gooey Chocolate Coconut Bars from Evil Shenanigans Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons from Brown Eyed Baker Chocolate Coconut Sorbet from Taste and Tell Baked Chocolate Coconut Milk Custards from Dandysugar Chocolate and Coconut Milk Cake from The Little Red House […]