Quick Sour Cream Cinnamon Rolls

Boy, has it been a LONG week …

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

For the second time in three weeks I have gone AWOL, and I am sorry for that.  I was hoping that after my last bout of family related drama things would quiet down, but it was not to be.  Last week my father was feeling a little funny, and his blood pressure was pretty high, so he went to the hospital.  After testing they found that he would need bypass surgery … sooner rather than later.  He is doing very, very well, and for all of you out there who took the time to send me little notes of encouragement, or to pray for his recovery, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  We were truly blessed.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

I have not been at home much as a result, but one morning I had about two hours of free time.  I was craving cinnamon rolls, but with only two hours I would not get them baked before I had to leave.  Not willing to abandon my cinnamon roll idea, I did a little brainstorming.  What if I made cinnamon rolls with a biscuit style dough?

From start to finish these rolls take an hour, so if you need a last minute dessert or breakfast these are perfect.  The finished rolls have a buttery, almost coffee-cake texture, and stay remarkably tender after cooling.  The finishing touch is a little cream cheese frosting.  I like the extra flavor and richness it adds to the rolls, plus I just really, really wanted it.  Handy side note, you could slice the rolls cake-style and serve as many as 10.  People will think you slaved over this, but it is as easy as can be!

Quick Sour Cream Cinnamon Rolls    Serves 6 to 10

4 tablespoons butter, melted

For the frosting:
1 ounce cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

In a medium bowl add the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Whisk to combine.  Dice 2 tablespoons of the butter into small cubes and rub it into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse sand.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

Melt the remaining butter and combine it with the sour cream and milk.  Pour the mixture over the flour and stir until just combined.   Set aside while you prepare the filling.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

In a small bowl combine the sugar, cinnamon and butter until it forms a smooth paste.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

Lightly flour a work surface and turn out the dough.  Press it into a rough square that is 1/4-inch thick.  Spread the filling evenly over the dough.  Carefully roll the dough into a log then slice into 1-inch rolls.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll CakeSour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

Place the rolls into the prepared cake pan leaving a little room between the rolls for them to expand while baking.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown, puffed, and spring back when gently pressed in the center.  Cool for 5 minutes then turn out of the pan.  The easiest way to do this is to turn the rolls out onto a large plate, then place your serving plate on top and flip them over.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

While the rolls bake prepare the frosting.  Whisk together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.  Slowly add in the powdered sugar until the frosting is your preferred thickness.  You may add more if you like the frosting more still.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

While the rolls are still warm spread the frosting over the top.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Cake

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Quick Sour Cream Cinnamon Rolls”

1. So glad to hear your Dad is doing better :)

2. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an egg-less cinnamon roll but the sour cream would certainly make them rich and tasty.

3. Oh gosh, I want these immediately!

4. Steve @ HPD says:

the crumb looks delish … almost more coffee cake than bread/roll. sounds like a winner!

5. So glad your dad is doing well! I’m sending good thoughts your way.

With cinnamon rolls like these, who needs the kind that take forever?

6. I have made cinnamon rolls with a baking powder dough before and love them. People don’t realize how much easier yet still tasty they are that way. Thanks for sharing. :-) Buzzed!

7. Valerie says:

I like cinnamon rolls sooo much! And i must try your recipe!

8. I’m so happy to hear your dad is doing well. Prayers for a continued speedy recovery.

This recipe sounds delicious, I think I’ll give them a try this week.

Stay well, your family needs you!

Joanne

9. Rachel says:

Finally! A recipe for cinnamon rolls with no yeast and kneading and rising! Next time I’m home with my parents I’m whipping this up! Thanks :)

10. These look amazing… Glad to hear your father is doing well!

11. I’m glad that your dad is doing ok! These look great – I love biscuits and cinnamon rolls. Thanks for coming up with these!

12. I love the easy cinnamon roll recipe. It usually takes me over three hours to make them. Yours look delicious, and I can’t wait to give them a try.And sending happy thoughts for your father.

13. I love the idea of quick cinnamon rolls and these look so good. I am so glad that your dad is on the road to recovery. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

14. Vanessa says:

Umm these look heavenly. Want!

15. Paula says:

How very smart of you to think to create cinnamon rolls with a biscuit dough! They look wonderful.

I’m glad your Dad came through his surgery well and is on the road to recovery. I know he will feel so much better once he’s fully healed. I can’t believe that he didn’t have to wait for his surgery…here the wait-lists for bypasses can be weeks!

Continued best wishes for him and for you!

16. Whosyergurl says:

ohmigosh! That makes my mouth water! You are one talented cook!
    xo, Cheryl

17. I should remember this at the end of a bad week! These look so delicious. I’m making some cream cheese frosting today for my almond cake. I’ll try hard to to swipe spoonfuls of it like I did the last time I made it.

18. Absolutely beauteous!

19. You had me at Quick! I love cinnamon rolls, who doesn’t?! These look delicious!

20. Ooh, we have company coming this weekend and while I want an awesome breakfast treat, I don’t want to spend hours baking. This is perfect!

21. Mich says:

The “quick” also caught my eye here! Can’t wait to try these out, and love the idea of using sour cream instead of cream cheese- a tangier and lighter icing sounds delicious.

22. Cin says:

Absolutely mouth-watering! I’ve Always become a victim of cinnamon rolls, especially with the frosting. Can’t wait to try these out.

23. Jenn says:

I saw these last night and I made them this afternoon. Oh man – they are AMAZING!!! I seriously LOVE these. I topped mine with a vanilla bean icing and I can tell you that these are one of my new Faves!!

24. These are beyond amazing and super easy. I have never had something this good come from a recipe I’ve made for the first time. I am planning a function just so I can serve these. Keep up the good work!

25. KeiDz says:

awesome recipe! thanks for sharing this! :D

26. MarciaS says:

Thanks for the great recipe! My family loved it and best of all it was quick, easy and very tasty!

27. Lena says:

These are incredible! I got offers of marriage because the cinnamon rolls I made in my dorm were so good.

1. Sonntagssüßes Frühstück: Buttrige Zimtschnecken | küchenzeilen - February 12, 2012

[…] Wochenende Scones gemacht hatte, habe ich das Rezept heute zu Zimtschnecken abgewandelt. Basis war dieses Rezept. Ich habe die Butter im Teig etwas reduziert, statt sour cream Joghurt verwendet und in die Hälfte […]

2. More baking! | Stitch and Purl - April 10, 2012

[…] made these cinnamon rolls – with a little less sugar here and there, yogurt instead of the sour cream, and no icing. […]