Sour Cream Snickerdoodles

Mon, Jun 13, 2011

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

Sometimes you will be bopping along, and then … WHAM!!

Sour Cream Snickerdoodles

Life is unpredictable.  Often when you least expect it things go all pear shaped.  That has happened in my life over the last week, and it is also why I have been relatively quiet.  Things are working themselves out now, but it will be a long journey for everyone involved.  I decided, if I had to deal with the stress of family related drama, that a big plate of cookies would be the first item on my ‘Return To The Kitchen’ agenda.

Sour Cream Snickerdoodles

When it comes to comfort in cookie form, if I am not looking for chocolate, I tend to crave snickerdoodles.  I have memories of coming home from a hard day at school to the warm cinnamon aroma and knowing everything would be ok.  For my version I decided to go with a soft, cake-like cookie with crisp edges and a hearty flavor.  That flavor comes in the form of sour cream, which adds a slight tang to the buttery cookies.  Because I was adding things I also added an extra egg yolk for richness.  These cookies keep very well for up to 3 days in an air-tight container, if they last that long.

Sour Cream Snickerdoodles     Yield 4 dozen

1 1/2 cup  sugar, divided
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 egg, at room temperature
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1/3 cup sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sour Cream Snickerdoodles Sour Cream Snickerdoodles Sour Cream Snickerdoodles Sour Cream Snickerdoodles

In a medium bowl cream together 1 cup of sugar and the butter until well blended and lighter in color.  Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mid until well incorporated.  Stir in the sour cream.  The mixture may look slightly curdled.

Sour Cream Snickerdoodles Sour Cream Snickerdoodles

In a small bowl sift together the dry ingredients.  Add the dry mixture into the wet and stir until the mixture is smooth.  The dough will be somewhat soft.

In a small bowl combine the remaining sugar with the cinnamon.  Scoop out the cookies by the rounded tablespoon and roll in the cinnamon sugar.  Arrange on the prepared pans leaving 2-inches of space between the cookies.  Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies are slightly cracked and the edges are golden.  Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Sour Cream Snickerdoodles

Sour Cream Snickerdoodles

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Sour Cream Snickerdoodles”

1. Aw Kelly, I hope all is ok and that things will settle down over the next little while. In the meantime, have a cookie. Or two :)

2. Snickerdoodles are my all time favorite cookie… ever! My mom made them a lot when I was little. Love your version w/ sour cream!

3. Michelle says:

What a great idea to add a touch of sour cream. I think snickerdoodles are so pretty. Simple and oh so flavorful.

4. These look taller and fluffier than the standard, so I will need to try your version-I like me some puffy cookies. Thanks for sharing-buzz.

5. Sour cream always makes it better…especially in cookies!

6. Steve @ HPD says:

Maybe my all time favorite … possibly because they’re so light, i don’t feel bad when I eat 12 …

7. Mmmm, I may have to make some this evening, right after I fix the kitchen faucet. This may be my reward, as snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies!

8. Glad to hear things are settling down even if only a bit; you have to make sure to take time and care of you when you’re trying to support your family, don’t forget. And why is it called comfort food if not to comfort you when you’re stressed; these have all that’s needed. A great simple cookie, an up the ante addition and a memory of mom and home; hope they help. XOXO

9. These look delish!! The perfect way to get back on track ;) They look so thick and “fluffy”!

10. Wow, these look amazing!! I am having a sugar craving now!

11. Paula says:

I’m sorry that these are difficult times for you but I know you are strong and will work through it. I’ve never had a snickerdoodle but your recipe certainly looks like I’d love them.

Hope you enjoyed that Margarita the other evening :) Take good care.

12. *Hugs* Family is exhausting but so rewarding at the same time… Glad these cookies makde you feel better! They look delish- never heard of the sour cream in them but they must be even more delish and chewy.

13. I hope everything cheers up soon…until then, cookies are always the answer :)

14. A little sugar and spice are good for the soul. I’m a big snickerdoodle lover and must try this sour cream version.

15. delicious soft cookies looks yummy

16. mmmmm the cookies look so good!!
    Hope everything returns to normal for you real soon.

17. These look pillowy soft and perfect. Droollllll.

18. Katherine says:

Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookie too / i have a tried and true recipe that involves two sticks of butter, a portion of brown sugar as well as white, and cardamon with the cinnamon sugar for the final roll / i also incorporate a lot of lemon zest in both the dough and the sugar from time to time.

Be that as it may i am definitely going to give your recipe a whirl / thanks

19. me how to says:

Oh wow this looks so good :D going to give this a try when I am home from work. I love how much effort was put in with the photos etc. Keep up the great work :)

20. Hope everything’s going OK, Kelly… I know (all too well) about unexpected changes and life taking crazy turns. If you need to vent, I’m always here!

I, too, am hoping to get back in the kitchen a bit more soon, and I am adding these snickerdoodles to my baking list. They look like something I can actually handle… And, something that will be good comfort food for when I’m done :)

21. maria says:

I have everything to make these! Can’t wait to try them!

22. John Valenty says:

I know what I’m requesting my kids to make me on Father’s Day now!! I might eat all of them myself though. They look so good!

23. 1. The cookies look fabulous.
    2. I hope you’re okay. Miss you.

24. sharon says:

I just made them for my tenage grand kids. they loved them!!!!! Thumbs up. came out great. Thanks

25. These cookies look awesome. hope things become better soon!

26. Snickerdoodles are my downfall…can’t resist making them especially since I’ve seen this!

27. Whitney says:

These were devoured very quickly! Thanks for the recipe!

28. Erik says:

I tried the recipe today and they tasted really good – one of the better tasting snickerdoodles I’ve had. But, mine didn’t turn out domed and pillowy like yours did. I can’t figure out why. I followed the recipe exactly. I noted that most recipes for snickerdoodles suggest chilling the dough before rolling the cookie balls, but this one did not. Do you chill your dough before rolling or before baking? Any thoughts as to why mine spread and flattened out?

29. christena says:

thanks for the great recipe! this is a childhood fave, but the sour cream is new, and so is your pillowy texture. after a few tries of this recipe, i now know why! i finally followed your words exactly, and learned to STIR the wet and dry ingredients rather than use the mixer to combine. perfect! thank you :)

30. Shannon says:

Thank you! It was just what we were looking for.

1. Sour Cream Snickerdoodles « Brahms and Cupcakes - February 19, 2013

[...] recipe credit: http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2011/06/sour-cream-snickerdoodles/ [...]

2. sour cream snickerdoodles click here for recipe | Oh So Yummy - August 12, 2013

[...] click here for recipe [...]