Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup

Fri, Sep 23, 2011

Bacon, Beer, Cooking, Featured Articles, Recipes, Soup

The calender says it is fall, and that is good enough for me.

Here in the Dallas area, where we just had one of the hottest summers on record, the temperatures are still hovering around 90 most days.  Yes, it is still warm but I know fall is coming.  How do I know when it is so warm?  Well, our local Oktoberfest festival has started and that puts me in the mood for large mugs of beer, bad polka music, and warm bowls of soup.  In this case the soup I craved was cheese soup, and I really wanted one made with beer.

Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup

I often find beer cheese soup does not strike the right flavor balance.  To be precise,  I find most beer cheese soup to have a slightly bitter finish.  While a little bitterness is nice to cut the richness of the cheese, too much bitterness makes the dish hard to eat.  To counter the bitterness of the beer I added a tart Granny Smith apple to this soup.  The tartness keeps the soup from being too sweet, while the natural sweetness counters any lingering bitterness.  In honor of the season, and because I love it so, I used an Oktoberfest style beer in this recipe.  Any amber beer you like will work, but for the sake of the season, and because they are readily available, I opted for the Oktoberfest.

Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup    Serves 8

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup Oktoberfest style beer (I used Sam Adams)
2 cups whole milk
5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
3 ounces smoked Gouda
Hot sauce, to taste

Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup

In a medium pot over medium heat add the chopped bacon.  Cook until the bacon is very crisp, about 3 minutes.  Remove the bacon from the pot reserving the fat.

Apple Oktoberfest Cheese SoupApple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup

Add the butter to the pot and once it foams add the onion, apple, carrot, celery, salt, and pepper.  Cook until the mixture is starting to become tender, about 5 minutes, then add the dry mustard, paprika, and cayenne pepper.   Stir to combine and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.  Add in the sliced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Apple Oktoberfest Cheese SoupApple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup

Add in the flour and cool for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, to cook out the raw taste of the flour.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and slowly add in the chicken stock, beer, and milk, stirring constantly to remove any lumps of flour.  You may need to whisk it during this process.  Once combined increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the soup comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes.  Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool for 3 minutes.

Working in batches, blend the soup in a blender until very smooth, about 3 minutes on the highest speed.  Add the cheese, in batches, to the soup and blend until the cheese is melted.  Once all the soup is blended return it to the pot.

Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup

Heat the soup over medium heat to re-warm.  Season with hot sauce, and additional salt and pepper as desired.

Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup

Serve the soup with the chopped bacon as garnish.  Enjoy!

Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup

© 2011 – 2012, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup”

1. This shall be my first fall recipe! Thanks :)

2. RavieNomNoms says:

Wow! Look at all the flavors you have going on there…that just screams fall!

3. I am 100% sold on this…perfect for an Oktoberfest themed tailgate…or just

4. After seeing this, I am wondering how it is that I have never tried cheese soup?! This must really taste awesome-all those wonderful ingredients. Definitely a keeper-I have saved the recipe, thanks so much for posting.

5. Joanne says:

Leave out the bacon and I’m with you on that soup. Delish! It’s getting to be that kind of weather for thick, warming soup.

6. Erica says:

Wonderful recipe! I have been looking for something along the lines of soup or stew to round out an Oktoberfest full dinner and THIS is it! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe and helping me add to the yummy dishes of Oktoberfest!

Bridget – Drive on up … I’ll share!

8. Oooh this sounds delish! A perfect fall recipe love the apple, cheese, and beer combo sounds great.

9. Yum…it’s cool enough here to want this now! I haven’t made a beer/cheese soup for awhile and now feel a burning need.Maybe it’s the bacon?

10. Christine says:

It sure doesn’t feel like fall in DFW. Soup looks good.

11. Paula says:

I’ve never heard of beer cheese soup (yes, I suppose I do live under a rock) and this looks so creamy and delicious. My husband was just saying the other night that this winter he wants to make a lot of different soups. I’m book marking this one as one he should definitely try.

By the way, I love your soup bowls.

12. Alyssa says:

It’s very hot here too, but I’m still getting all of my fall recipes together. This soup sounds amazing! I’m pinning this one!

13. Its so hot here too! Its hard to get into the fall cooking with 90 degree days but I think I can make an exception for a soup this delicious!

14. Chef Dennis says:

so many wonderful flavors in your soup, I wish I had a bowl right now! It has been so hot here in NJ I can only imagine how stifling it has been back home in Texas. Even so, I don’t think anyone would turn down your soup!

15. We had more rain than heat up here in the NE. This looks like one delicious Fall soup.
    Is there such a thing as good polka? LOL

16. Oh I love fall soup recipes! This looks so delicious and I love having the bacon as a garnish. Great photos too! :)

17. Spice Sherpa says:

I’m with you on autumn food. Strangely though, this year I was intent on squeezing a few more weeks of summer out of the season. But that’s passed and autumn recipes are the shining star…starting with this soup. I’ve never had a cheese soup that I love but I haven’t given up tasting because I so badly want to find one that’s delicious. Yours may be a winner! :-)

18. Thanks, Kelly. I just recreated this and posted on my blog.
    It was wonderful! Truly hit the spot.

19. This looks so good I had to “pin it”. Can’t wait to make this next weekend.

20. Curt says:

That looks really great. I love cheese soup, and I don’t seem to get to eat it very often.

21. Amy says:

This was amazing! Made it today with homemade pretzels and it was incredible. This will be an annual recipe. :)

22. Heather Morgan says:

Sounds so yummy. I don’t care that it is 90+ degrees here in Alabama on Father’s Day. I am making this soup today to go with grilled pork chops and apples.

23. Nancy says:

Looks delicious! How many days in advance can I make this, do you think?

1. Fall Cooking with Beer (Yes, Beer!) - October 21, 2011

[…] Beerbread Cornbread!) (The Edible Perspective) —Beer Mac ‘n Cheese (Live Love Pasta) —Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup (Evil Shenanigans) —Beer Risotto with Chanterelles and Bacon (No Onion […]

2. Getting FEST-ive…. - October 9, 2012

[…] Once the cheese and soup are all blended together put back in pot and add heavy cream. Heat up and serve warm with a ton of bacon. Recipe adapted slightly from Evil Shenanigans. Go see the original recipe there. […]

3. Oktoberfest Dinner Party - Pinterest Inspired | Recipe Girl - October 15, 2012

[…] Apple Oktoberfest Cheese Soup (from Evil Shenanigans):  My friend Donna made the soup.  She said the soup recipe was very clear and easy to follow with simple ingredients.  The only difference that she found from the recipe directions and reality was the time that it took for the soup to thicken.  The recipe said it would take 5 minutes, but the reality was more like 20 to 30 minutes (she doubled the recipe).  Also, she found that the soup was spicy enough without adding any additional hot sauce, as the recipe suggested.  The soup was one of the favorite dishes of the evening. […]