Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mon, Oct 17, 2011

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

I am having a hard time finding my words today.

Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

I am not sure why, but lately I find myself fighting writers block.  It happens to everyone.  I know I am not alone, but as I sit here struggling to be compelling I find myself feeling kind of isolated.  Cone of Shame comes to mind.  Now, before you think I am crying, “Oh, poor pitiful me,” realize that I could have just as easily not posted anything today and saved you all from my whining.  If I am being honest, and I endeavor to always be honest, I did not post this recipe last week because of this very issue.  Well, I have had enough.  My inability to find inspiration kept this AMAZING cookie from you, and that is not right.  So I am posting it along with my poorly written, neurotic tale of writing woe.  So there.

Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

These cookies taste like fall to me.  Subtle spices, crisp toffee, nutty brown butter, and chocolate.  What I love about these cookies is how pretty they are, all puffed and crinkled with chocolate chips peeking out of the top.  They look homemade in the best possible way.  They are a little rough, and that makes them, to my mind, terribly charming.  I offered these to my co-workers and they devoured them.  Most commented that they loved the lightly spiced flavor, it kept them guessing … and eating!

Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies       Yield 4-5 dozen

1 cup butter, browned and cooled
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 egg, cold
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup toffee pieces
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip CookiesSpiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer,  cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until well combined.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well blended.  The mixture will be quite loose.  Stir in the vanilla.

Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

To the butter mixture add the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Mix until the flour and spices are just combined then add the toffee bits and chocolate chips.  fold until evenly distributed.

Scoop the dough by the rounded tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets leaving  at least 2-inches of space between the cookies for them to spread.  Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden all over.  Cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. maria says:

I want an entire plate of these babies!

2. Never stop from posting a delish dish just because you think you have writer’s block. I told you I made some brown butter molasses cookies recently right? Now I HAVE to try these!

3. Jamie says:

Funny because I’ve been having writer’s block as well and when I asked a few people what I should write about they suggested…writer’s block :-) But what a great cookie recipe! Gotta make these for my son!

4. Browner butter is the answer to world peace :)

5. omg what a great looking recipe!

6. Joy says:

The cookies look great.

7. Katrina says:

Ooh, yum. Everything about these sounds good and they look great and so original. Writer’s block stinks, but thanks for the cookie recipe!

8. RavieNomNoms says:

Those look phenomenal! Totally drooling at the screen right now

9. ‘poorly written, neurotic tale of writing woe’ doesn’t sound like a writer’s block:) I wish on my best most imspired days to write like that! :) …but I completely understand the foes, the roadblocks to creativity. :) Been going through that myself lately! These cookies are fantastic though and I might make it for this weekednd as a dessert for my son and his soccer team.

10. Fuji Mama says:

The only coherent thought I can form right now is, what ingredients am I missing? Because I need to make these NOW.

11. Natalie says:

These look amazing, loving the spices in them.

12. Paula says:

Because and only because they look absolutely delicious, are you forgiven for keeping this recipe from us for a week. LOL.
    Next time you feel you can’t post because of writer’s block, then just post the recipe in photos…we’ll understand ;)

13. Cara says:

Looks like some of my favorite things together! Can’t wait to try this!

14. I have many poorly written tales on my blog. I’ve found writing something crappy is often the best way to get through writers block. And with cookies like these no one will notice :)

15. I’m so glad you shared these! They look great!

16. Kita says:

I can’t help but think of Doug from Up now. These cookies do sound rocking!

17. I’m glad you broke though to post these morsels of wonder! Your apt description has me wanting them now!

18. These sound crazy good!! Spiced brown buter- YUM!!!

19. These do have some wonderful flavor ingredients. I would have been just happy with brown butter toffee cookies, but the chocolate chips really makes these amazing-Yum! They do have a nice appearance-love all the cracks. Great post.

20. I have the issue to at times, just don’t know what to write as the opening to a recipe and I don’t like to make it very personal either. The cookies looks so yummy I must say though I don’t really fancy chocs.

21. Anything with browned butter is bound to be amazing and when you go ahead and all those delicious fall spices you get one unbelievable looking cookie!!

22. Megan says:

I’m always in favor of adding autumnal spices to cookies. Plus toffee and chocolate AND brown butter? Don’t let anyone say you do anything halfway, Kelly!
    My only suggestion would be to add a link to browning butter, for those poor souls who haven’t experienced it!

23. Lacy says:

The name of these cookies got me but the pictures — oh man! I wish I could take a bite out of one of them right now! YUM!

24. ShelleyBakes says:

I think I love every single cookie you post – so deep breath. You’re still in my Google Reader. :) Writer’s block visits us all.

25. Those cookies look amazing! I cannot wait to try this recipe.

26. These look incredible, Kelly! I really love the combination of spices, browned butter, and toffee. This is the perfect compromise for the hubby and me. I love to experiment w/ cookies, and he always wants chocolate chip. :)

27. I’m so glad you decided to share these cookies. They look fantastic. Brown butter and chocolate, mmm, delicious!

28. You weren’t kidding when you said “amazing” – this cookie has EVERY single one of my favorite flavors in it… you did it to taunt me, right??LOL!!

I am ALWAYS looking for new cookie recipes and can’t wait to try this one out!!

29. Leanne Regan says:

wow these look delicious. Your photos are amazing too :) I’m so glad I’ve just invested in ‘cups’ to measure recipes like this. I don’t think british cook books have many recipes using cups so I’m quite excited to use these new devices!!

30. Great Share On These Spiced Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies. The pics. alone make you want to eat them, and when do you find the time to post such detailed recipes? Well thank You so much for posting this. We need more!

1. Brown Butter Toffee Chip Cookies | Bashful Bao - February 3, 2014