Cheddar Beer Drop Biscuits

On a hot summer day there is nothing better than a frosty beer.

Beer was not always my libation of choice. In fact my love affair with beer is fairly recent, about 8 years old. It all began with Mexican beers served with plates of spicy Tex-Mex. Margaritas were always my first choice because I love the refreshing taste of lime with rich food. My husband convinced me to try a sip of his beer, which had a squeeze of fresh lime, and it was a revelation. Soon I was trying all kinds of beer and today beer is my libation of choice. I am utterly devoted.

One of my favorite thing to do with beer, aside from drink it obviously, is find new ways to cook and bake with it. Beer has found its way into my recipes for cakes, soups, macaroni and cheese, and even pizza crust and hot dog buns. For this recipe I have concocted a rich, buttery biscuit flavored with beer and sharp cheddar cheese. This is the kind of biscuit that goes well with things like tangy barbecue, grilled steak, spicy chili, or roasted meats, and it takes practically no time to mix and bake. They are practically perfect!

The beer in these biscuits should be flavorful, but nothing too strong. This is certainly not the place for a stout, but neither is it the place for a light beer. You want that distinct beer flavor, but it needs to be balanced. I used Shiner Bock, my favorite Texas beer, but any ale or pilsner should be fine here. Now, when it comes to the cheese I say the sharper the better! The sharpness of the cheddar cuts some of the richness from the butter, and oh and there is a lot of butter, while complimenting the yeasty flavor of the beer. These biscuits have a flavor reminiscent of a cheese straw, or even cheese crackers. Bake these fresh for the best flavor. You can make up the dough and get it all scooped out up to an hour in advance, just keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake. Any sooner than than and your biscuits will not bake up as fluffy.

Cheddar Beer Drop Biscuits    Yield 1 dozen

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cubed and chilled
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup beer (I used Shiner Bock)
2 to 3 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing

Heat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Whisk to combine. Next, add the cubed butter and, with your fingers, rub it in until the mixture resembles coarse sand with only pea sized pieces of butter remaining. Add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and toss to combine.

Make a well into the center of the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk and beer. Gently fold the ingredients until just combined, about 12 strokes.

Scoop the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet then top each biscuit with a little of the reserved cheese.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are firm to the touch and just golden brown on the bottom. Brush each biscuit with melted butter and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown on the top. Cool for 3 minutes before serving.

Enjoy warm.

© 2012, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Cheddar Beer Drop Biscuits”

1. I’ve made your bacon cheese beer bread and loved it so I’ll definitely be making these! I don’t like beer but love it in baked goods and these look delicious!

2. Sheryl Hunt says:

Have a question, what if you live at high altitude? What changes would you need to make?

3. I don’t do much baking with beer, but these look really good! Anything cheese-filled gets my vote :)

4. Yum Yucky says:

you had me at “rich, buttery biscuit”. Printing the recipe now. xo

5. so much goodness in that little drop:)

6. Phil says:

I made thes according to the recipe, bu they turned out flat, more like pizza than biscuits. What did I do wrong? By the way, they were still delicious.

There was a typo and the amount of flour was off. I have corrected it, and I am so sorry for the error.

8. I have never been a big fan of drinking beer but I have still loved cooking with it. A beer tasting at a local Irish pub was a revelation…but I still love baking with it the most!

I’ve been making beer bread since moving to Colorado and it was called Coors Beer Brear; I’m all for renaming it to Cheddar Beer Bread; these look fabulous.

I saw the comment about high altitude baking too. It’s hard for someone to suggest how to make a change for folks at high altitude; it all depends on how high! I’m in Denver at 5280′ and a local chef told me that for most baked goods, he found that turning up the heat on the oven by 25 degrees and baking for a shorter time works better than fiddling with leavening agents. It does work although you might have to cover your product to keep it from browning too much. At higher elevations it would require eliminating some of the leavening; try 25% less than normal. It really is a trial and error situation depending on just how high each baker is.

9. Michelle says:

I am curious how this tastes. I need to try this on my own.

10. These biscuits look divine… We don’t drink a lot of beer at my house, but I always have some on hand for baking and cooking (and friends who come over and want some to drink). I think I am going to be putting these on the menu next week.

11. Jennifer says:

I just did these and to be honest they look great but taste a little bland. I used anchor steam beer because that is all I had on hand. Think that may have been the reason? It’s not a super dark beer like a bock. Any suggestions?

12. Adeline says:

Hello,
    these look great…but I’d like to know what I could or should use in place of the beer ??

You can sub buttermilk or half and half for the beer. Thanks!

1. Cooking with Beer: Cheddar Beer Drop Biscuits | Head Over Beers - May 28, 2013

[...] You all know I love to drink beer, but what about cooking with it? There are tons of delicious recipes that can be made even better with a little bit of beer. I cam across this awesome recipe on Evil Shenanigans. [...]