Stove-top Macaroni and Cheese
Author: Kelly Jaggers (Adapted from Cooks Illustrated)
- 8 ounces macaroni, or any smallish tube shaped pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 ounces (about ⅔ cup) evaporated milk
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, but reduce the cooking time by one minute. Drain and pour back into the cooking pot.
- Over medium-low heat, add the butter and stir until melted.
- In a small bowl combine the egg, milk, and spices. Whisk until thoroughly combined then pour over the pasta. Stir until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat then add the cheese in four installments, making sure the first is melted completely before adding the next.
Recipe by Baking and Cooking Blog - Evil Shenanigans at http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/03/stove-top-macaroni-and-cheese/