Apple Streusel Muffins

When I have overnight guests I like to treat them to something special for breakfast.

DSCF2167

Usually that means I break out the cast iron skillet and fry some sausage, use the drippings for sausage gravy that is poured over buttermilk biscuits and served with some fried eggs and home fries.  Guests from outside of Texas, or the South in general, are usually charmed to get a hearty, country style breakfast.

So, why apple muffins you ask?

DSCF2166

The husband of my latest guest is from the UK and is not terribly fond of cream gravy.  In fact, he hates it.  It is not his thing, and that is fine.  It gave me an excuse to try out a recipe I had been kicking around in my head.

I had been wondering for a while how my Apple Cake would translate into muffins.  I made a few modifications, added a crumble topping, and the results were wonderful!  Moist muffins with lots of apple in them are the perfect breakfast or brunch treat.

DSCF2152

2 teaspoons baking powder

for the topping:

1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cold
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat the oven to 350 F and line your cupcake pans with paper liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray if not using liners.

DSCF2154

In a small bowl make the topping.  Blend the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.   Add the cold butter and cut in until it forms a coarse topping.  Put in the refrigerator while you prepare the muffins.

Blend the eggs, buttermilk, applesauce, oil, vanilla, spices, and both sugars until well combined.

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl then pour the wet ingredients over and stir to combine.  When most of the flour is moist add the diced apples and fold to combine, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl.

DSCF2157 DSCF2158

Divide the batter evenly between 20 cups then top each with the streusel.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins spring back in the center when lightly pressed.

DSCF2159

Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cook.

DSCF2162

Enjoy warm, or store in an airtight container.  They improve with time, believe it or not!

DSCF2169

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Apple Streusel Muffins”

What a great muffin! I love apples, I bet they kept the muffin nice and moist!! Great recipe!

2. These muffins look delicious! I love using applesauce in baking. Yum!

3. jenn says:

Nice. Look at all those lovely apple chunks. I never would have thought of using applesauce in baking. I guess I’m just used to eating is straight up. The more the apple the better. =)

4. Those look incredibly tasty, I must say. May I have a glass of milk, please? :)

I’d probably end up using brown sugar in the topping because we love us some brown sugar.

5. Daily Spud says:

Yay for apple crumble in a muffin! Think I’ll have me some of those for brekkie… :)

6. these look fantastic with those nice chunks of apple! I made up some caramel apple muffins last fall, and I wish I remembered the recipe because they were so delish. I love anything baked with apple.

7. Ramya Kiran says:

Hmm… yum yum! I love apples and Muffins are a great way to enjoy small treats. Nice recipe.

8. Rachel says:

Great idea to add a crumble topping, it would give a great texture when contrasted with the moist apple muffin.

I love using buttermilk in cooking and the applesauce is a fab way to keep it moist without adding more fat.

Thank you for this recipe, I bet they’d be great packed in a kid’s lunchbox or into my briefcase for morning tea!

9. Dimah says:

These look fabulous. Can’t wait to try them.

10. Tracy F says:

Applesauce works nicely in baking. Some people even use it as an oil replacement altogether. As for your guests, I’d take the apple muffins or the biscuits and gravy, which I love.

11. Donna says:

Oh, these look absolutely delicious. I will be trying them for sure. I am a muffin freak!

12. amy says:

is there any way to make these non-dairy?

You could use soy milk, or perhaps apple juice for the milk. I have not made them that way so I can’t guarantee success, but they should work pretty well.

14. nikki says:

i use coconut milk in place of buttermilk, and add a tablespoon of white vinegar

1. September Menu, Grocery List, Instructions, Labels and Podcast | OAMC from Once A Month Mom - September 1, 2009

[…] Apple Streusel Muffins […]