Dark Chocolate Chip Brownies

If you do not like chocolate jam packed inside a fudgy brownie, turn back now!

Dark Chocolate Chip Brownies

This recipe is adapted from one we made in culinary school.  The brownies we made were ok, but we did not use dark chocolate or dutch processed cocoa powder.  I do and the result is superior.  There is also more chocolate chips in my version.  I see it this way, if you are going to have chocolate, why go half-way?

These are really easy to get mixed up, they cool pretty quickly and are wonderful covered in a shiny layer of dark chocolate ganache.  Again, why go half way?

Frosted Brownies

The brownies are rich, chewy, melting, and fudgy.  I like them warm, with the kiss of the oven still on them, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or some whipped cream and a drizzle of fudge sauce.  As good as they are warm, however, I also like them cold from the refrigerator.  For some reason these brownies are SO GOOD cold, which makes them excellent for the summers here in Texas when it is ten kinds of hot.  There is nothing like a cold, chewy brownie when it is 105F outside.  Trust me!

Dark Chocolate Chip Brownies

You can easily double this recipe.  In fact, the original recipe was enough to fill a full sheet pan.  I scaled this down to a quarter of that amount – mostly because my thighs could not take it.  Just know you can scale it up easily and with much success.

Dark Chocolate Chip Brownies   Yield 20 brownies

3 oz butter
2 oz dark chocolate, at least 62%, chopped
Sugar 14 oz
4 oz golden syrup or honey
3 oz butter
5 oz eggs (about three large)
.75 oz water
1 teaspoon instant espresso
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5.25 oz cake flour
1 oz dutch processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 oz chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350F and prepare a 1/4 sheet pan (9″x13″) with non-stick spray, line the bottom with parchment and spray again.

Melted Chocolate and Butter

In a bowl combine the butter and the chocolate.  Microwave for 30 seconds, stir then microwave for an additional 15 seconds.  If the mixture is not completely melted heat at ten second intervals until completly melted.  Set aside to cool slightly.

In a bowl combine the sugar, golden syrup/honey, and second portion of butter.  Mix until well combined.

Disolve the espresso in the water.  Add that along with the eggs and vanilla to the sugar mixture.  Mix to combine.

Stir in the melted chocolate mixture.  Blend well.  Make sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl well so that the mixture is completly combined.

Batter - Mixed

Sift the dry ingredients then add them to the wet mixture.  Mix until just beginning to mositen then add the chips.  Mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated and there are no lumps.

Batter in the Pan Brownies - Out of the Oven

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the center is just set.

Brownies - Turned out of the Pan

Cool completly in the pan before turning out into a cutting board.

Brownies Topped with Ganache

Frost and slice as desired.

Dark Chocolate Chip Brownie

© 2009 – 2014, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Chip Brownies”

1. Wow – these look fantastic! I often use instant espresso when I make brownies, as well… It gives such a rich, dark flavor!

2. *drool*
    everything about these sounds awesome! what is golden syrup though?

3. Ramya Kiran says:

That looks scrumptious!! I wish i could one slice :)

4. Daily Spud says:

Gosh, there are no half measures in those brownies, that’s for sure!

LK – Golden syrup is a cane syrup. Honey works just as well, but I prefer the flavor of the golden syrup. You can get it at gourmet stores.

6. Mmm wicked delicious. I’m definitely making this one soon . . . well, as soon as all my Easter chocolate is gone. 8)

7. Kait Nolan says:

You are so far beyond evil, it’s not even funny. Seriously.

8. I agree with you- I’m not a milk chocolate fan, but I adore dark chocolate and plenty of it. Like Curiousdomestic, I’m ready to be rid of my Easter chocolate!

9. Alice says:

Nice. Brownies are my weakness.

10. jenn says:

That looks so moist and decadent! Save me a piece. Yum!!

11. ValleyWriter says:

You truly are evil – teasing people who are stuck in stuffy little cubes with nothing but a diet coke!!! (Oh wait -maybe that’s just me :-D)
    Seriously, these look awesome! And I totally agree with you on the why go 1/2 way thing. It’s all or nothing for me when it comes to chocolate.

12. I have a friend that has a birthday Thursday,
    and every year I send her a batch of homemade brownies. I’ve always used the same recipe.
    Until today. Those looked fabulous. And my house smells like a chocolate factory. Thanks!

13. ingrid says:

I’m not crazy about just brownies…..I usually like something other than more chocolate in them ;)but yours look and sound really good especially warm topped with vanilla ice cream!
    ~ingrid

14. RecipeGirl says:

YUM x 1,000 MMMM!

15. Let me just say, “Thank you.”
    I frosted them with your cupcake chocolate frosting and I must say they are the best brownies I’ve ever had.

Rosie – I am so pleased that you liked them!!

17. Great work!
    I’d like to point out that I reaaly liked the top picture as the colours and designs of the “cloth” match perfectly with the dark chocolate colour!
    Cheers,
    Robert-Gilles

18. 8chocolate says:

You are evil! These look amazing and NOT calorie free. So chocolatie good…

19. sarah says:

what can I say but Yum.

20. Amrita says:

That frosting looks soooo irresistible!!

These are my kind of brownies, fudgy and chocolaty!

22. OMG! your work is so adorable, I too love the combination of the mat colours against the brownies

23. OH NO YOU DIDN’T just post chocolate chip brownies when I’m having a sweet fetish and there’s no chocolate in my house! Now I know I gotta go to the store!

Thanks to everyone who commented! I am sorry I can’t respond to them all but it has been a busy day!

In regards to the pictures … the ‘cloth’ is a paper napkin I got on sale. Really! I thought the colors would work with a brownie and I am so glad so many of you think so too!

And, Kim … you crack me up! Really!!

25. Tracy F says:

I’ve really been hankering to make some brownies from scratch. My family tends to use brownie mixes because they are a quick way to make a snack, but I know how vastly superior homemade brownies are.

26. These look great! Thanks!

27. efrain says:

wow. 14 oz of sugar? it looks like a lot

28. efrain says:

these are now baking in the oven. do you have a ganache or frosting recipe for this?

Efrain – Chocolate Ganache: 8oz chopped dark chocolate, 4oz heavy cream, heat the cream in a small pan until it just reaches a simmer. Turn off the heat and add the chocolate. Let it stand for one minute before whisking until smooth. Cool to room temp before frosting on brownies. Enjoy!

30. efrain says:

awesome. i’ven’t done the ganache but the brownies were pretty crazy. ppl liked them. thanks for your site!

31. Michelle says:

wow.
    just – wow.
    : )

32. Jeff says:

Nice recipe for dark chocolate brownies. thanks for sharing.

33. Jennifer says:

Oh my god. This is my new favourite website.

34. Mary says:

Hi Kelly,
    \
    I made these brownies, they were very tasty but turned out a little cake-like. Is there any way you can change the measurements from weight based to measuring cup-based? It was hard to weigh out the ingredients with the precision necessary.

1. Trick Your Picky Eater: Zucchini Brownies « Pots and Plots - May 8, 2009

[...] if you are looking for a real, homemade brownie recipe, I shall refer you to the divine concoctions of Kelly at Evil Shenanigans, the assorted evils of My Tasty Treasures, or the blondies from I Shot [...]