Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes

Today is my birthday!!  I won’t tell you how old I am … that would just depress me.  But, I will tell you what does not depress me …

Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes

Cupcakes!

Especially when they are in fun red liners from acupcakery.com!!  Red is my absolute favorite color, and the liners stayed nice and bright after baking.  I love that!

So, to celebrate my birthday I made a batch of cupcakes to share with you.  Of course, you are not here to eat them … I guess that means I will have to eat all these dark, moist, lucious, mocha cupcakes for you.  Oh, how I suffer!Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes

These have a nice hit of coffee which is the perfect compliment to the Dutch-processed cocoa powder.  So, in honor of me, make a batch of these cupcakes.  Consider it my gift to you.   I’m off to celebrate!

Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes   Yield 12

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten with
1 egg white
3 tablespoons strong coffee (I used three tablespoons hot water with 1 tablespoon instant coffee)

Heat the oven to 350 F and line a 12-cup cupcake/muffin tin with liners.

Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes - Dry Ingredients

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.   Mix well.

Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes - Wet Over Dry Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes - Batter

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and coffee.  Blend until there are only a few small lumps left.

Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes - Ready to Bake

Scoop into lined cupcake tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until the centers spring back when lightly pressed.

Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes - Cooling

Cool for three minutes in the pan before removing the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.

Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes

Frost as desired.

Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes”

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you! I hope it is the best one yet. LOVE your cupcakes, the perfect treat to celebrate. Have a great day!

2. Carrie says:

what number pastry bag tip do you use to get your frosting to look like that?

Carrie – I use a size 21 star tip.

Maria – Thank you! :)

4. katy says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

we’ll be having mac & cheese a la kelly to celebrate you tonight ^_^

5. Sophie says:

…and a Happy Birthday to YOU! I am loving the dark intense color of these cupcakes, I am also a fan of those red cupcake liners :).

6. Happy birthday! Such delicious cupcakes to celebrate with!

7. Oh, those are really dark! I’ll have to keep this recipe on hand…I have a cupcake project for which I need black or nearly black cupcake batter. :-)

Happy Birthday! I hope your day is as great as your cupcakes look!

8. Happy Birthday! Your cupcakes look gorgeous. Aren’t we supposed to give you the gifts, though?

I make espresso buttercream that I think would be absolutely delicious on these!

9. Hairball says:

Happy Birthday Kelly! Hope it’s whootastic!

*drools* I really need to make some of these here cupcakes.

10. jenn says:

Dark chocolate and caffeine. LOVE IT!!

I want that cupcake right now.

Happy Birthday!!

Katy – I hope you guys like it!

Sophie – Thank you! The liners are super! I love them. Some of the best I have used.

Natasha – Thank you. The cupcakes are nearly gone!

The Other Tiger – Dutch-processed cocoa powder gives it all the deep darkness. I hope you try them!

Jen – Oh, espresso buttercream? *drools*

Hairball – Whoot right back at ya, and thanks!!

Jenn – Thank you, if you were in the Dallas, Texas area I would offer to share!

12. Kait Nolan says:

I did not know you could get icing that dark. And yeah, your handle is very well chosen. Because truly, that was just an evil thing to send me while I was still at work. :D

Kait – I would say I was sorry … but that would make my Shenanigans less evil. :) Dutch-processed cocoa, like Hershey’s Special Dark, makes the frosting that dark.

14. Alice says:

Happy Birthday! I love cupcake liners.. I think I have a cupcake liner fetish. Those cupcakes look delish.

15. Tracy F says:

I love the almost black cupcakes for celebrating a birthday. Black gets overlooked as a festive color so often.

16. s. Stockwell says:

MMMMMMMMMMMMM…delicious!

17. Happy birthday, Kelly!

Not only do these cupcakes look delicious, they also look so grand, so … regal. They remind me of a tuxedo — one I want to devour, that is.

Leela – I like that! I think I agree, they are grand cupcakes. Thank you!!!

Tracy R. – I think black can be quite festive, if done properly. With the red liners I chose I think it is the right balance of festive and striking.

Alice – I am something of a liner junkie. I have a whole stack in the pantry waiting for the perfect cupcake batter to fill them. :)

S. Stockwell – Mmmmm indeed. I’ll second your Mmmmmm and add a yummmmm. ;)

19. Sarah says:

Happy birthday!! Mine’s tomorrow, can’t wait!

20. amy says:

They look stunning! happy birthday!:)

21. Rico says:

I’ve heard they like them tall and dark now short and dark is more my taste…these ones of course. what did you think I was talking about :) lol xx

22. ValleyWriter says:

Hope you had a wonderful birthday and enjoyed these delicious looking little treats!

23. NICE!!!
    Happy Birthday & thanks for sharing! :)

-Stayce~Michelle

24. gaga says:

Happy (belated) birthday! Those cupcakes looks fantastic. That frosting is really something!

25. Ganges says:

That’s yummy and my favourite. Thanx for sharing and hope you had a wonderful birthday. My belated wishes to you

26. Katelin says:

These look delicious! Can you share your frosting recipe, please? I can’t wait to make them!

27. Sorry if I sound stupid, but what is the frosting you used and how exactly do I make it look like that?

I am so not a baker and I stick to what I do best that’s cooking!!!

I do nevertheless want to venture into this world, hey my birthday is coming up and I NEED coffee and dark chocolate!!

Supriya – The frosting is a one-bowl buttercream, meaning it is butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and milk. Hershey’s and Nestle have some good recipes for this kind of frosting on their sites, and it is easy to make.

As for how I got the frosting to look the way I did, I used a large star tip and piped the frosting in a swirling motion. It is really easy.

I hope that if you try these cupcaks you like them!

29. Abbie says:

Hi Kelly!

In case i couldn’t get butter milk, what can you suggest for alternative? Thanks!

30. Oh that dark chocolate looks luscious.

1. Chocolatey Weekend Links : Chocolate Bytes - April 5, 2009