Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits

Cheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuit

However, sometimes I remember the bread and when I do I usually make these biscuits.  They take five minutes to prep and get into the oven, they bake in 15 minutes and, if you have left-overs, they keep pretty well for a second meal – just reheat them in a 325 F oven for ten minutes.

Cheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuit

These biscuits are perfect for a homey meal, and they are good for when you have company for dinner.  During the week they are not a chore to get into the oven, and you can easily double the recipe for a large gathering with little additional effort.

For the most part I am a traditional flaky biscuit kind of gal, and I will post a recipe for traditional cut-out biscuits one day, but these fluffy cheese streaked biscuits hold a special place in my heart because they are quick and delicious.

Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits     Yield 12

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup parmesan, grated
1 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Heat the oven to 350 F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Cheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuits - Dry Ingredients

Blend the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and garlic powder into a large bowl.

Cheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuit - Ready to Rub the Butter inCheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuit - Butter Rubbed In

With your fingers, blend the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse sand with pea sized lumps of butter in it.  Stir in the shredded cheeses.

Cheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuit Dough

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the buttermilk in.  With a spoon, gently mix until the dry ingredients are just moist.  Do not overmix.

Scoop the biscuits onto the parchment line sheet (roughly 1/3 cup – I used a large disher) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.   The tops will be pale, but the bottoms will be lightly golden brown.

Cheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuit - Cooling

Brush the tops with the melted butter and place under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the tops become golden.

Cheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuit

Serve warm.

Cheddar and Garlic Drop Biscuit

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits”

1. Your biscuits look very tasty – I like to make drop biscuits, too, because they are so much easier to whip up while making dinner. Thanks for the great recipe!

I love making biscuits. Love the addition of garlic and cheese!

3. jenn says:

Those biscuits look moist and flaky. Yummy!! Nice with the added garlic and cheese. I gotta try adding those when I next make biscuits.

4. yum! these look so fast and easy. We almost never have bread in the house, so I’ll keep these in mind for when I need a little something extra with dinner.

5. Madeline says:

I love garlic cheese biscuits. I always double the recipe because they go fast!

6. Muneeba says:

I wish I could make these right NOW!!! But then that would be bad ‘coz I’d gobble them all up on my own … *sigh*. They look adorable :)

7. Karly says:

These are some of my favorite biscuits!

8. Sid says:

That sounds good – with one exception, that I will never understand: Why would anyone with a right mind and working taste butts use Garlic Powder instead of real garlic? I read things like that a lot on American and British websites and it just doesn’t get through to me. Are there things that garlic powder actually works better for? I’m really curious to find out what that’s all about!

I’ll be making them biscuits tonight though – with real garlic, real fresh parmesan (nothing against Kraft, but still) and not sure what I’ll have to replace the cheese with since sadly enough we’re out of Cheddar.

Sid – I use the garlic powder so there will not be chunks of garlic in the biscuits. I want them to have a smooth texture. Also, the chopped or minced garlic can be a bit overpowering if you bite right into it. Of course, that is my opinion. You can do what you like.

Thanks for stopping by!

10. Kate says:

You hooked me at garlic, you reeled me in with the cheese, but you gutted me with the biscuits (OK, that analogy came out weirder than I intended). The point is those look amazing and combine three of my favorite things. Do you think you could use fresh minced garlic instead of garlic powder? What about granulated garlic? I think some herbs — maybe dried thyme or fresh chives — would also be a nice addition.

Kate – I used garlic powder for an even flavor and smooth texture. I am sure minced would be fine as well. Thnks!

12. Kristen says:

Wow I need to make these as soon as possible. I think I too am neglecting my ‘bread with dinner’ needs even though I am a true carb lover. These seem like the perfect solution.

13. Christina says:

I told my boyfriend I was making garlic cheese buttermilk biscuits today with the remaining buttermilk in the fridge (as I made buttermilk pancakes the other day)…and he questioned me! He thought they sounded strange. However,I believe he’s the strange one. We’ll see what he says after he tastes them!

Om nom nom.
    Thanks for the post!

14. Lump says:

These biscuits were just scrumpious. I halfed the butter with lard. Very light & flaky. The cheddar & garlic made all the difference. Was always afraid to change up my biscuit recipe. Thanks….

15. Tara says:

wow these look great! im a recent fan of your website — so glad i happened upon it1! it would be easier to read tho i think if your background font was slightly darker, its so light that it blends in quite a bit

best of luck! keep up the good work!

16. Alifah says:

I tried these biscuits today and they were fabulous! I didn’t have cheddar and Parmesan cheese but used what I had on hand, which was a Mexican 4-cheese blend and romano cheese. I am officially bookmarking your blog as one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

17. I am more of a healthier eater but splurg occasionally. These are soooo good!! Too bad they have to have so much butter. The butter is what makes them so tasty so I serve these up for special occasions. At xmas everyone commented on how yummy these where and how they tasted like Red Lobsters biscuits. I have tried many recipes and these are by far the best!

18. teri says:

can these biscuits be made ahead and still be fresh if I freeze them I’m tryin to prepare for a dinner party and need time

19. teri says:

need an answe on freezing these biscuits for 2 days then serve

Teri – I am not sure you can freeze these. You could try, but I am not sure how well they will bake. They are very quick, however, and you could make them fresh with the meal. They take less than ten minutes to prepare, espically if you measure everything out in advance.

21. Haley says:

Soooooo good! Slightly crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Thanks for this awesome recipe! I halved the recipe, and the only changes I made were using a round cake pan instead of a cookie sheet and making my own buttermilk with cream of tartar- not sure if it became buttermilk since some cream of tartar was left in the cup, but these came out fabulous!

1. Topics about Cheeses » Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits - April 21, 2009

[...] Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog added an interesting post today on Garlic Cheese Drop BiscuitsHere’s a small reading  Often when I make dinner I skip any kind of bread item.  It isn’t that I don’t like bread with dinner, on the contrary I love bread with every meal, but I usually forget to make or buy bread and so we skip it.  I justify it by thinking of all the calories I am missing. However, sometimes I remember the bread and when I do I usually make these biscuits.  They take five minutes to prep and get into the oven, they bake in 15 minutes and, if you have left-overs, they keep pretty well for a sec [...]

2. Buttermilk Biscuits | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - July 3, 2009

[...] years I struggled with buttermilk biscuits.  Drop biscuits I had down pat.  I could make batches of those fluffy little wonders in my sleep.  However, the [...]