Maple and Bacon Muffins

I am a bacon devotee.  I’m not sure if you have noticed, but I love the stuff!  That’s why when I was challenged to create a sweet and savoury bacon muffin I jumped at the challenge!

Maple and Bacon Muffins

But, this is a tale of sadness, regret, but eventual triumph!

Two months ago, on a cold January evening, I was contemplating new ways to use bacon in my baking when my husband asked, “Can you make a bacon cupcake?”  A cupcake?  No, not that, never that.  However, a muffin I could do!  So, off to research.  I formulated a recipe with a brown sugar crumble and gave it a whirl.

Maple and Bacon Muffins

They tasted great, but looked about as pretty as homemade soap.  Not a shining moment for me, but I moved on.  Next I tried no crumble and more maple.  They were far too sweet and had the texture of sticky cornbread.  BLEH!   Long story short (too late, right?), after a few more failures I struck the right balance of salty and sweet in a tender, bulging muffins!  It is this that I present to you, the perfect brunch bread. .. Maple and Bacon Muffins!

Maple and Bacon Muffins   Yield 1 dozen

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup real maple syrup

Heat the oven to 400 F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners, or grease and flour the pan well.

Dry Ingredients

Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt well.  Mix in the crumbled bacon.

Wet Ingredients

In a separate bowl mix the milk, eggs, oil, and maple syrup.

Complete Batter

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it.  Fold gently until the dry ingredients are wet.  It will be lumpy.

Scoop into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.

Maple and Bacon Muffins - Cooling

Serve warm.

Maple and Bacon Muffins

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Maple and Bacon Muffins”

I don’t eat bacon but my hubs sure does. He will love me even more if I make these for breakfast! :)

2. ChefErich says:

Wow these sound great!! I will have to try them this weekend. Thanks

3. vrinda says:

Nice Click..looks yummy…

4. Angela Mears says:

I have a friend who likes to put bacon on sugar cookies. He would go crazy over this, I have to show him. I think a little bit of salty is what a muffin needs, sometimes. Great post!

5. s. stockwell says:

This is crazy-good? It makes total sense to us. We love the step by step photos! Keep the tasty posts coming. best, s

6. Those sound good. Nice side for chili, I think.

7. Marcy says:

I watched your “Sandra Lee” videos. I thought I was on the only one who hated her. Hate is such a strong word… loath, dislike. Those are better descriptions. She needs the alcohol to mask the taste of her food.

Anyhoo…nice blog.

Marcy – http://www.Televisionwithoutpity.com has an entire forum dedicated to Sandra Lee, with threads for each episode. Thanks for coming by!

Curiousdomestic – Oh, they would be good with chili!

S.Stockwell – I shall!

Angela – I have a recipe for bacon cookies that I found which is a sugar cookie with crisp, crumbled bacon in them. Tasty.

Chef Erich – I hope you enjoy them.

vrinda – Thank you!

Maria – My hubby ate three of them! :)

9. jenn says:

Breakfast in a muffin. I’m definitely going to try this. I love bacon, so this is right up my alley.

10. These look delicious! Would be great for Easter brunch, even.

11. Wow. I’m drooling right now, wait, I have to get a napkin…

I wonder if I could coerce someone to make these for me, I can’t bake.

12. I love you. Seriously, these looks freaking awesome!!

13. Rico says:

they sound delicious, and look excellent. :)

14. Oh honey! I MUST try these! I love thick sliced bacon and this is an excellent breakfast idea!

15. Reeni says:

These look so good! I love sweet and salty together. Maple and bacon are classic flavors to pair together!

16. Alice says:

I like how these rose during baking. Could you tell me about the taste of the muffin though.. is it sweet?

17. elin says:

Wow, great idea to add bacon into the muffin. I can imagine the aroma of bacon while it is baking in the oven. Thanks for sharng such a wonderful recipe with me :)

ALice – It is sweet and salty. Not too sweet, like a traditional muffin. Just a little sweet to contrast the bacon.

19. What a great combination! I love maple syrup. I’m hoping to try this recipe soon.

20. Kathy says:

I can. not. wait to make these. Bacon is the food of the gods.

21. If it works in pancakes, it works in muffins. Brilliant.

22. Krazmo says:

I made them and they were delicious!

Thanks!

23. Kim says:

Wow! My son will love these. I can’t wait to give them a try!

24. Nikki says:

An even better twist- use the bacon fat in lieu of the vegetable oil.

As for bacon in cupcakes, I totally HAVE made Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with a Maple Cream Cheese Frosting. They’re my boyfriend’s favorite.

25. Rebecca says:

Sounds great, I think I’ll make this today. Was wondering if I could add some cheese (maybe 1 cup) to this without any ill effect to the muffin or if there’s something I need add/change/subtract to make that work? I have a block of marble cheddar to use up :)

26. Lydia says:

They look so good and taste delicious!!!

1. 100 Ways to Cook Bacon « The Dorm Chef - June 3, 2010

[…] Maple and Bacon Muffins: […]

2. Stop Putting Bacon in Things | rhymes with fairy - March 14, 2013

[…] cooked in soup (I had the displeasure of ordering baked potato soup at an IHOP once). Bacon baked in muffins. Bacon in chocolate. Bacon baked in bread. Bacon jam (my sister and I made this for our brother one […]