Apple Blueberry Quick Bread

Apple Blueberry Bread

It is that time of year.  Fruit is starting to come into the market that looks fresh and ripe, the weather is warmer, and my thoughts turn to baking.

Blueberries

I was at the market a few days ago and tucked behind a box of huge strawberries were these really beautiful blueberries.   They were on sale no less.  Bonus!  Those fat blue berries sucked me in and I took them home and contemplated what I could do with them.

Apple Blueberry Bread

I thought about pancakes, muffins, or even a compote.  None of these ideas really got me inspired.  No, my inspiration came in my perilously stacked cabinets.  I was digging around for a cake pan when I spotted my mini-loaf pans.   Like summer lightening, inspiration struck!  I decided to use them in a recipe very similar to my Apple Cake.

Apple Blueberry Bread

It was not half bad, if I do say so myself.  In fact, it was quite good!

Apple Blueberry Bread Fixins'

Apple Blueberry Quick Bread     Serves 8

2 cups diced apple
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 egg
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray four mini-loaf pans, or one 10″ loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl sift the flour, baking soda, and salt.

In a second bowl whisk the buttermilk, egg, oil, sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla bean paste until well mixed.

Pour the wet over the dry and mix until the dry ingredients are moist but some flour still shows.  Add the apples and blueberries and fold to mix.  Do not over-mix.

Divide into the four loaf pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or pour into the 10″ loaf pan and bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back when gently pressed.

Cool in the pan for ten minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.

Apple Blueberry Bread

Glaze with flat icing if desired.

Apple Blueberry Bread

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Apple Blueberry Quick Bread”

1. Mmm, this looks really delicious, and those blueberries were a real find. Using buttermilk is a great idea! I need to make some of this. Thanks!

2. Your desserts are always incredible! This apple blueberry bread looks amazing!

3. Jessie says:

please send me a slice! that looks amazing :)

4. Those are mighty huge chunks of fruit in there. Looks great.

I love apple breads/cakes/muffins, etc. Great idea to add blueberries!

6. Wendy says:

Wow. Looks delicious. Love the blueberries. They’re gorgeous.

7. ValleyWriter says:

This looks great. I’ll have to save it for when blueberries are in season here (another month or two). I made a similar bread with rhubarb last night – the addition of buttermilk really makes these quick breads moist!

8. Oh My Gosh!! that looks awesome! Our blueberries will be coming into season around sometime next month… or July… but definitely have to try that!! It looks wonderful!

9. The bread looks wonderful – makes me wish I had apples and blueberries in the house to rush off and go make some!

Yummy! I keep seeing so many fruit-filled baked goods lately, and all I keep thinking is: “Can this be considered breakfast?”

I think it can!

11. jenn says:

Kelly, your baking skills never cease to amaze me. I’d love some of that in the morning with my coffee.

12. Sweta says:

Love the combo!! I can’t wait to pick some blueberries for this recipe :)

13. Michelle says:

That looks so moist and delicious!

14. Danica says:

Interesting combination of ingredients, but, I bet it’s as amazing as it looks!

15. mamakd says:

Wow! That looks scrumptious! My kids love fruit and I love that they love fruit too! I am always looking for new yummy recipes to make for them!

16. donna says:

You horrible evil thing you, all you make me want to do is eat. All of your food is just plain fabulous! I will try this also. XXOO

17. this looks so moist and delicious!~

18. It looks super moist and so delicious!

19. amy says:

your bread just looks sooo fantastic w some tea:)

20. teresa says:

Oh wow, this looks absolutely sinful, I would love to try this!

Ooooh, this looks yummy!

22. Sue says:

Looks fantastic! What is vanilla bean paste?

It is a paste made from vanilla beans. It is like using fresh vanilla beans, but the cost is less than fresh beans. I love it!

1. Made tonight 4 a potluck as muffins. Gobbled up & recipe requested. A hit! >RT @bakingblog Apple Blueberry Quick Bread: www.evilshenanigans.com - Twitoaster - May 21, 2009

[...] mcogdill  22 hours ago Made tonight 4 a potluck as muffins. Gobbled up & recipe requested. A hit!–>RT @bakingblog Apple Blueberry Quick Bread: http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/05/a… [...]