Beef Enchiladas

Mon, May 25, 2009

Cooking, Featured Articles, Recipes, Tex-Mex

My husband, despite coming from Chicago originally, likes Tex-Mex food a lot.  He does not, however, like cheese and onion enchiladas.   It is the cheese that he objects to, not the enchiladas themselves, so because I love him I make him beef enchiladas when I make cheese and onion  for myself.

Beef Enchiladas

Beef enchiladas are simple, but I wondered what the internet would have to say about it.  When I did some research I was shocked at how utterly strange some of the recipes were.  One called for a packet of taco seasoning, sour cream and diced black olives, another wanted you to make the enchiladas in flour tortillas (ewwww, gummy!), and yet another called for cream of chicken and cream of celery soups (Aunt Sandy, is that you??)!  Quelle nightmare!!

My recipe is simply seasoned ground beef, onions, and Rotel tomato.  That is it!  No taco seasoning packets, no olives and certainly no condensed soups.

Beef Enchilada Fixins

The method for making them up is identical to the cheese and onion variety, which is handy if you make both at the same time.  Making the beef filling is ten minutes work, if that, and you may have some left over depending on how stuffed you like your enchiladas.  It keeps well, and can be frozen for up to one month.  It also makes a lovely filling, mixed with some refried beans, in a burrito.

Beef Enchilada Filling   Yield  enough filling for about 12 enchiladas

1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained (or one can diced tomatoes and half a can diced green chilies, drained)
1 cup chili con carne (made with ground beef, not turkey as stated in the link)
Salt and pepper

Sweating Onions

In a heavy bottom pan heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.  When it shimmers add the onion and cook until soft.  Add the garlic and cook for thirty seconds.

Onions, Rotel, and Spices

Add the Rotel, cumin, coriander, and paprika.  Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Beef Filling

Add the ground beef and cook until well browned.  Season with salt and pepper then add the chili con carne.  Cook for five minutes.

Beef Enchiladas   Serves 6

12 corn tortillas
6 cups chili con carne
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Beef Enchilada Filling

Heat oven to 400 F and prepare a pan with cooking spray.

Heat the chili con carne in a heavy pot until it simmers.  Reduce the heat to low and cover.

Wrap the tortillas in a towel and microwave for 30 seconds, then flip them over and microwave for 20 seconds more.  You want them warm, but not steamy hot.

Pour 1/2 cup of the chili into the prepared dish.

Beef Filling

Dip each heated tortilla in the chili, then fill with the beef mixture.  Roll the tortillas into a tube shape and place in the dish.

Beef Enchiladas

Pour over the remaining chili and top with the cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Devour!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Beef Enchiladas”

1. jenn says:

Oooooo…Yum I love enchiladas. All that deliciousness. Have a good Memorial Day!

2. Danica says:

Great step by step photos – these look delicious!

3. These look wonderful! I also make beef enchiladas for my husband. Maybe next time I will give yours a try!

4. Rico says:

interesting enchiladas ..the look good. cheer :) xx

5. The enchiladas look very yummy! Great recipe!

6. I’ve never had enchiladas before but I see two of my favourite ingredients beef and cheese. I know this has to taste good. Great post!

7. teresa says:

Oh my goodness, these look fantastic!

8. Jessie says:

yummy enchiladas! so cheesy yet filled with lots of flavor :)

Love enchiladas! These look delicious too! In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a flour-tortilla-based enchilada recipe on my site that my husband just loves. I prefer corn tortillas over flour, of course. These look easy and yummy though – I could eat Tex-Mex every day!

10. These look ridiculously delicious. It’s been a while since I last made a casserole, gooey, cheesy thing like this. Every time I visit family in Thailand, they always ask me to make Tex-Mex stuff for them. I’m going back there this summer and, believe it or not, Taco seasoning mix is number two on the list of things they have asked me to buy from the US. Number one? Don’t laugh. Dream Whip.

Go figure.

11. Sweta says:

Looks so good-I’m drooling right now!Must give this a try-but with either ground turkey or chicken :)

12. Memoria says:

I only make my enchiladas with flour tortillas and order them that way at restaurants as well. (well, I used to make another batch with corn for my exgf). The tortillas do not come out gummy at all. If you’re worried about that, however, you can throw the tortillas in hot oil for a few seconds-2 minutes and then prepare them as usual. I love beef enchiladas!

13. MArtha says:

Sounds awesome! I just came back from mexico last month and find myself addicted to these incredible enchilada recipes now!! Must go back next year sometime, I suppose, and this time head off of the beaten road a little. Looking to reading more!

14. Pamela says:

Was looking for an authentic enchilada recipe when I found this one…incredibly easy to make, and very good! Now all I need is a good margarita recipe to go with them….!

15. Rachel says:

Do you happen to have a recipe you use for chili con carne? My first time making enchilada’s!!

1. Daily News About Chili : A few links about Chili - Monday, 25 May 2009 08:13 - May 25, 2009

[…] Beef Enchiladas […]

2. how to cook with oven | How to cook with mircrowave oven - May 25, 2009

[…] No taco seasoning packets, no olives and certainly no condensed soups . Beef Enchilada Fixins. The method for making them up is identical to the cheese and onion variety, which is handy if you make both at the same time Read more:  Beef Enchiladas | Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog […]