Mocha Cheesecake

My mother loves chocolate and she loves coffee.  She loves them almost as much as I do.

DSCF2364

So, when Mother’s Day rolled around this year I decided to make my mom a mocha cheesecake.  There is something special about the tangy cream cheese and the rich mocha flavor combined.  One contrasts the other, yet combined they work so beautifully with one another.

DSCF2368

I make my cheesecakes in the food processor.  I do this for two reasons.  First, the mixture is super smooth and creamy giving the finished cheesecake a silky texture.  Second, it is super easy!  You just put your room temperature ingredients in the bowl of the processor and hit a button.  After a few seconds lumps are obliterated!  Awesome!

I recommend you do not cheap out on the chocolate in this recipe.  The flavor of the chocolate is the star of this cheesecake, and a substandard chocolate will create a substandard cheesecake.

Mocha Cheesecake   Serves 12

2 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa powder
1 tablespoon instant espresso
8 oz sour cream
1/3 cup heavy cream

Heat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease the bottom of a 12″ Springform pan

DSCF2346 DSCF2347

Prepare the crust by mixing the cookies with the butter and sugar.  Press into the prepared springform pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool while you prepare the filling.

Leave the oven on 350 and add a shallow pan filled with hot water to the oven on the lowest rack.

DSCF2350

Melt the chocolate over a double boiler until melted.  Allow to cool slightly.

DSCF2351DSCF2352

In the bowl of a food processor add the soft cream cheese, cornstarch and sugar.  Process until very smooth, about three minutes.

DSCF2354DSCF2355

With the processor running add the eggs, one at a time.  Stop, scrape down the bowl and add the melted chocolate.  Process to mix.  Next add the cocoa powder and vanilla.  Pulse to blend.

DSCF2356DSCF2357

Now add the espresso powder and sour cream.  Blend thoroughly, then add the cream.  Pulse five times to blend.  Do not over blend.

DSCF2359DSCF2361

Pour the mixture into the prepared crust.  Tap on the counter to release any air bubbles.   Place on the rack directly above the pan of water and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Then reduce the heat to 325 and bake for 40 additional minutes.

When time is up turn off the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool two hours in the oven.  Remove from the oven, run a thin knife around the edge and allow to cool for thirty minutes at room temperature before releasing the pan.

DSCF2368

Chill for four hours, or overnight, before serving.

DSCF2369

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Mocha Cheesecake”

1. ValleyWriter says:

Oh wow! This looks absolutely heavenly. Can you please send a piece via the computer screen so I can enjoy it for breakfast this morning? It has coffee – that makes it a b’fast item, right? LOL!

2. This cheesecake looks perfectly luscious and decadent! Love it!

3. Ramya Kiran says:

Wow, that looks delicious! loved the slice.

4. Ooh – three of my favorite things – chocolate, espresso, and cheesecake! Your cheesecake looks beautiful!

5. donna says:

This is the very next recipe of yours I am trying.

6. I’m not a huge cheesecake fan but that looks amazing. I just might have to make it. My husband would go nuts for this.

7. Carrie says:

my mouth is watering at the sight of this cheesecake

8. This looks wonderful! I have yet to make a cheesecake, but you’ve inspired me to try.

9. That slice is not big enough. Can you please cut another one for us that’s about 1/4 of the cake? Thanks!

10. jenn says:

I’ve have a slice for breakfast, lunch. and dinner. Cheesecake and a caffeine kick on one. Love it!!

11. A processor…great tip! I definitely need a bigger slice than that!

12. Dimah says:

Gorgeous cheesecake! and your photos are absolutely stunning.

13. Elle says:

Oh, hell-o, love! You look delicious!

14. vrinda says:

Yummy cheesecake.lov mocha flavor

15. For such a sinfully luscious treat, that looks heavenly. Nom!

16. WOW damn impressive – Looks so incredible and this is combination I could dig my fork into!

17. Judith says:

It looks delicious!
    I’ll try it for “Savuot” holidy.
    10x

18. Amanda says:

Ohhhhh mmmmmmm that looks really good!

19. Bridget says:

Mmmmmm….that looks divine! Using the food processor is so smart! I’m going to try that.

20. Jessie says:

I agree with the Duo Dishes, that slice is definitely not big enough! lol

delicious cheesecake, I keep scrolling up to look at the photos :p

21. Danica says:

Wow – that is definitely EVIL! Yum! Now I need to find an occassion to make this for….

Kelly, I’m in love! Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts, and I love mocha anything. This looks delicious.

23. kristen says:

yumm! I often make an espresso marbled cheesecake with the espresso but I will definitely need to try this one out. Thanks!

24. Mocha cheesecake this is bliss! Absolutely sinful and gorgeous :)

25. You would go and make chocolate wouldn’t you?? You know I want a piece… MMMMmmm MMmmmm!

26. Chefectomy says:

Seeing that it is 8AM while I am reading this and it’s mocha so you can have this for breakfast – right? Just delicious!

–Marc

27. I am a huge fan of cheesecake and this pairs my favorite 2 things… coffee and cheesecake. I am saving this so I can try it out later! It looks yummy!

28. Looks lush, wonder if I could do a vegan version.

29. Oh btw lush in Britian is a compliment, not an insult, I just remembered in the US may not seem nice.

30. morinn says:

Oh my god! totally awesome! I so wanna try a piece

31. Just wanted to let you know I am linking to this post on my blog today! :) It will be up in a couple of hours.

Here’s the link if you want to check it out: http://wp.me/p4exEE-2Z

1. Chocolatey Weekend Links : Chocolate Bytes - All About Chocolate - Delicious Chocolate Recipes - May 17, 2009

[...] Mocha Cheesecake at Evil [...]

2. If you make Blackberry Mocha Cheesecake, always stash some extra filling in the fridge! | The Fake Gourmet - February 24, 2014

[…] found a pretty good recipe for the mocha cheesecake, but (naturally) made a few […]