Onion, Apple, and Bacon Tart

I love savoury tarts.

DSCF2340

They are so nice for lunches, light dinners and are perfect for a brunch.  What I love about a savoury tart, aside from how nice they are to eat, is how you can vary the fillings to suit your taste and what you have on hand.

DSCF2341

This tart was born out of what I had on hand.  I had a bag of sweet yellow onions, a bag of apples, and some lovely thick cut bacon.  I also had some fresh eggs, courtesy of my new blog pal Mary Audet at  Baking Delights!

Give this tart a try!  It is easy, fairly fast to make, and sure to please!

DSCF2310

1 cups peeled and sliced tart apple, such as Granny Smith
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh grated Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan

Prepare the crust.

DSCF2312DSCF2313

In a bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar, and cheese.  Add the diced butter and rub it into the flour to combine.

DSCF2315

Add three tablespoons of the ice water and mix to moisten.  If it seems dry add the remaining water and mix.

Turn the dough out and form a thin disk.  Wrap with plastic and chill 30 minutes.

Heat the oven to 400F

DSCF2321

Once chilled roll it out 1/4″ thick and press it into a 9″ tart pan and dock the bottom of the crust with a fork.  Place in the freezer for ten minutes to set the butter then line with parchment or foil, add pie weights or beans and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove the weights and bake for 10 minutes more, or until the crust is lightly brown.

Allow to chill as you prepare the filling.

DSCF2318

In a heavy skillet cook the bacon, over medium heat, until crisp.

DSCF2320 DSCF2323

Add the onions and apples and saute until they soften, about 10 minutes.  Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

DSCF2319

In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk together with the spices until well blended.

DSCF2329 DSCF2330

In the tart shell spread the bacon, apple and onion mixture.  Top with the shredded cheeses, then pour over the egg and milk mixture.

DSCF2331

Bake at 400F for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the filling is puffed and golden.DSCF2342

Cool for ten minutes before slicing and serving.  It is also very tasty at room temperature.

DSCF2344

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Onion, Apple, and Bacon Tart”

Savory tarts are always nice for a light lunch or dinner with a salad. Looks great!

2. Victoria says:

This looks great!! Some of my favorite flavors all in one :)

3. This looks delicious. I haven’t made a tart in a while… this would be great this week for dinner!

4. Bridget says:

Mouth watering….

Can you swing by with this in about 30 minutes for lunch? ;)

Wow…it looks so, so good!

5. The sweetness of the onions and apples would be delicious withe saltiness of the bacon. Great photos!

6. Jen says:

Seems a delightful and balanced pairing of the sweet and savory.

7. s. stockwell says:

Puts us in mind of a special breakfast we had in Nantes, France? Good one, Best, s

8. Kristen says:

Mmm I love sweet & savory – especially when the savory is bacon! The addition of parmesan in the crust sounds great as well. Thanks for the recipe.

9. jenn says:

Three of my favorite ingredients in one dish. I’m coming to Texas!!!!

10. alice says:

This recipe is just downright evil. :) Can’t wait to make it!

11. Beautiful tart – I love the combination of onion and apple and bacon. i love savory tarts too and had made one as a part of the French brunch (will be in part 2).

12. This looks delicious, I’m trying tomorrow!

13. rhis looks and sounds amazing! I love the apple in it. Its almost like a quiche.

14. Hairball says:

This looks yummy!

15. Jessie says:

I would like a slice to be delivered please thanks! j/k that looks yummy :)

16. bromography says:

YUMMM!!! I love this recipe. I tried it this afternoon, and almost ate the whole thing!

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!

18. Julie says:

What a great combo of flavors!!! I’ll have to try.

19. Sophia says:

oh my goodness! this looks absolutely out of the world! I’m much more of a savory tart lover myself, but I do LOVE the play of sweet and savory! so your addition of apples in there is genius for me! and bacon…what can possibly go wrong with bacon?!

20. wow…this flavor combo totally appeals to my taste buds. I love apples in savory dishes and salads. Yum! You even make the crust sound somewhat easy to make homemade. I may have to try it. I don’t have a 9″ pie plate though…I think mine is an 8. I’m wondering if that would mess it up or if I can use a rectangular baking dish instead…hmm, let me know what you think!

21. donna says:

I am wowed by this one. This looks so tasty .. I love everything youve put in it!

You could use an 8″ pie pan, but you will have left over crust and filling and it may take a little longer to bake sinceI timed the recipe for a 9″ tart pan. A square pan would work, but it might not look as pretty once sliced. Thanks!!

23. Tastebud tingling overload! Yum.

24. Sock Monkey says:

Mmm. Apples and onions go well together. I’ll bet this would work just fine with ham (I have that, but am out of bacon at the moment).

25. Onion, bacon, and apple make such a great flavor combination. And cheese mixed into the crust dough? That’s just brilliant.

26. AndreaQ says:

this sounds divine!

27. Rico says:

looks very very nice and delicious really Rico-Recipes

28. Kevin says:

What and amazing flavour combo! The tart looks great!

29. Michelle says:

So glad this made it in your year in review post or I might have missed it entirely. Looks just amazing.

30. Mrsblocko says:

I made this in an 11 inch tart pan and it was wonderful. I wrote about it here. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!

1. Craving: Onion, Apple and Bacon Tart | FOODBEAST - ONLINE FOOD PUBLICATION :: BEEN HUNGRY SINCE '88 - May 18, 2009

[...] eggs. Light, airy, and tantalizing, if you’re interested in the recipe, it’s available here! Eat [...]

2. Best of 2009!! | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - December 31, 2009

[...] Onion, Apple and Bacon Tart [...]

3. Apple, bacon and onion tart | Random Ramblings of Celeena Cree - June 19, 2014

[…] is an apple, bacon and onion tart from Evil Shenanigans and it’s delicious. I put a little too much parmesan (twice what the recipe asked for) in the […]